Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arestin (Minocycline powder) in pocket of gums, and a-fib/SVT

Posted by SueChef 
Arestin (Minocycline powder) in pocket of gums, and a-fib/SVT
August 20, 2019 03:40AM
Eons ago when I was a young adult with challenging acne, I had run the course of the usual acne meds and finally got things under control with Minocycline.

Fast forward to now.... at my latest dental cleaning, it was discovered that I have one area that has a deep pocket and I'd like to address that to stop it from getting worse. It was recommended that I use some kind of poke-y tool with a tiny brush, and special liquid (that apparently stains your teeth! but I'm supposed to dip the poke-y thing/brush thing in it) on a daily basis to get the liquid meds into the pocket, to prevent the pocket from getting worse.

The poke-y thing, worries me because I don't want to do it wrong and introduce mouth bacteria into my blood stream if/when I poke wrong and draw blood. I've already done that with those soft plastic little G.U.M. things that are supposed to clean between the teeth, so I stopped using them and only use dental floss.

Another option for getting this pocket thing from worsening is to have the dentist put some Arestin powder (a form of Minocycline) up inside that gum pocket. It stays there for a few months and helps eradicate the bacteria that is probably eating away at my tooth or bone. It seems a better choice that the poke-y thing that I have to dip.

Does anyone have any experience with this and a-fib and SVT? I googled, of course, but didn't find any kind of contraindication for Arestin use if the person had a-fib and SVT, so that leads me to believe either I didn't research enough, or there's no big problem with using Arestin.

Thanks!
Sue
Re: Arestin (Minocycline powder) in pocket of gums, and a-fib/SVT
August 20, 2019 04:32PM
Sue,

I've fought with gum issues for years. The hygienist had me use an electric toothbrush with their antibacterial toothpaste, as well as using a water pik like device, filled with their rinse that I put in water. It was the same brand anti-microbial as the tooth paste. I flossed & etc. I was lucky if I kept even (meaning pockets didn't increase).

Then Dr. Gundry suggested to me that I use The Dirt <[smile.amazon.com] for tooth paste, I started using these <[smile.amazon.com] to exercise my gums and push food out from between them (not picking inside the pockets). I started using these heads for the electric toothbrush: Philips Sonicare Gum Health Replacement Brush Heads. I started using organic unfiltered coconut oil to do "oil pulling," once a day. Oil pulling is basically swishing the oil through your teeth. I do it for 10-15 minutes and spit it into a trash can.

It used to take 90 minutes to clean my teeth, now it takes 30-40. I've seen some of my pockets get better and the rest remain static, a huge improvement.

I know we are all different, but this made a big difference in my gum health.

George
August 20, 2019 07:49PM
Hi, George, and thank you for your helpful reply. As you said, we are all different, and yet in many ways, what worked for you might work for me as well! thumbs up

I really appreciate knowing what you found helpful, and the links you included.

Did you ever try the Arestin (minocycline) stuffed up into your gum pocket areas?

Did you feel that the oil pulling was pulling oil up into your gum pockets? At this point, can't hurt, might help, right?!
Joe
August 20, 2019 08:44PM
Something that worked for me but might not be a good idea - i used Thymol in my water pick for about 2/3 years. Having had a history of some tooth decay problems, the Thymol kept my teeth free of further decay and gums in good condition. The dentist was quite amazed.
Unfortunately, i developed high blood pressure (this was in my early 40s). An 'alternative' thinking pathologist suggested that the Thymol alkalized my system and in turn stimulated adrenal response and increased blood pressure. I stopped Thymol and my blood pressure went back to normal.
August 20, 2019 09:39PM
SueChef
Did you ever try the Arestin (minocycline) stuffed up into your gum pocket areas?

No, I don't even know what it is. I assume an antibiotic?

Did you feel that the oil pulling was pulling oil up into your gum pockets? At this point, can't hurt, might help, right?!

Certainly not a strong "push" into the pockets.

I'm guessing it is a gum microbiome issue. I'm not sure how to balance it, but I'm guessing that is the ticket if you can figure it out. Just killing the bad is likely suboptimal.
August 21, 2019 02:56AM
Joe, thanks for ringing in here. I am unfamiliar with Thymol except as a component of thyme. That's interesting about your BP.

George, the Arestin, the way I understand it, is an antibiotic powder that the dentist put up into the gum "pocket" with a little tool. It's painless and supposedly lasts 3 months.

Thanks again!
Sue
Joe
August 21, 2019 04:56AM
I've heard that this is also helpful but have no first hand experience to vouch for efficacy. Not sure if it was this or a similar product
[www.amazon.com]
August 22, 2019 10:50PM
Arestin is used for bacterial infections that are more than 5mm down into the gums. I’ve had it. It’s really slow acting. There’s no concern with AF. The stain your teeth thing is Peridex. It’s the oral version of chlorhexidine, which is surgical scrub. You don’t swish it. It will kill all the bacteria in the uneven surfaces of tooth enamel and make nasty brown spots. Instead you dip one of those GUM brand toothpicks (the ones with the white plastic tab and green rubber bristles) in the Peridex and clean between your teeth. Good luck with those toothpick thingies. Every one out of two will bend and be useless.
August 23, 2019 03:46AM
Thanks, Joe!

Wolfpack, thanks for the info about Arestin and Peridex (chlorhexidine) and for the suggestion about using those GUM brand toothpicks (I have some in my desk!) and especially about how they bend themselves into uselessness!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2019 03:46AM by SueChef.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login