Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potassium Supplements

Posted by katesshadow 
Potassium Supplements
August 19, 2019 05:08PM
I'm thinking of adding a Potassium supplement to my regimen. I was gonna research how much, what brand, etc., but thought I could save some time by just asking advice here I know i can get it though food, and that you have to be careful with it, but can anyone recommend a brand and amount? THANK YOU.
Re: Potassium Supplements
August 19, 2019 07:01PM
Non-prescription potassium supplements are limited to 99 mg of elemental potassium in the US. I don't care what it says on the label; there is no more than 99 mg of potassium in it.

Therefore, there are no K+ supplements that are worth taking without a prescription. However, getting far more potassium from food than you'll ever get from supplements is trivially easy. In general, healthy diets are high in potassium and high potassium diets are healthy. The two go hand in hand. If you really want a potassium boost, try low-sodium V8 juice, coconut water, almost any tropical fruit, potatoes (especially sweet potatoes, and especially with the skins on), green leafy vegetables, nuts, and meats and seafood.

That said, if you're really determined to take a potassium supplement, go to the grocery and buy a salt substitute such as Nu-Salt (read the label and make sure potassium is the only ingredient - some contain salt and/or flavorings). What you now have is a container of pure potassium chloride. It contains 3,180 mg of potassium per teaspoon. You can also buy pure potassium chloride in bulk form on Amazon. Note that 3 grams of potassium is enough to kill certain people, so make sure you know if you're one of those people.

If you're taking any drugs that cause potassium retention such as ACE inhibitors or potassium-sparing diuretics, or you have diabetes or kidney dysfunction, I would strongly urge you to avoid potassium supplements in any form other than food.
August 20, 2019 01:04PM
My approach is to use potassium bicarbonate or citrate powder and put 2 tsps in a liter of water and drink it over the day. It is my approach to timed release. If you take potassium all at once, you will just pee it out. The 2 tsps is about 4 g of potassium. Though potassium chloride will work, it is hard on many people's stomach. Here is a source for 1kg of potassium citrate powder: <[www.amazon.com]

I strive for a 4:1 K+/Na+ (potassium/sodium) ratio, so I also put 1/2 tsp of sodium chloride (table salt) in the water. 1/2 tsp is about 1 g of sodium.
August 24, 2019 09:48AM
Hi Kate - Long ago, when many of us were wanting to add more potassium via supplements, we found that using the bulk powder, potassium gluconate by NOW brand was easy and helpful... a half a teaspoon provides 1.1 grams....

Just remember (always) that adding too much additional potassium in the presence of low levels of intracellular magnesium can produce a rapid heart rate. This is because proper intracellular levels of magnesium help regulate the time between beats... (the refractory period). When Mg is low, adding extra potassium will shorten the refractory period or cause a more rapid heart rate.

As George comments... it's best to add to water and drink throughout the day rather than take a bolus dose all at once.

Jackie
August 24, 2019 10:22AM
Thank you everyone. I decided now to try to up potassium by diet. I appreciate your replies! Thanks.
Sam
August 25, 2019 11:58AM
1.1 grams Potassium gluconate contains 174 mg Potassium.
September 05, 2019 12:57PM
I drink two low sodium V-8 (5.5 oz) daily and another two only when in Afib comes. Not sure if it worsting it but in the past two v-8 (11 ox total of two cans) would convert me in 20-45 minutes. Not anymore so thus my schedule for ablation.

Amazon has a subscription with free shipping. I order the 48 can version once a month. I save $$ on the subscription which I can always skip a delivery if I have enough. The only starch I eat is yams and stay away from eating too much bananas because I get Af when my glucose is high. Check different brands of coconut water. I like original villager brand. 410mg of K with 8 oz —only 5g sugar. I drink 4 oz two or three times a day to keep my glucose in check. It’s delicious. To keep some carbs in me I make a unsweetened vanilla almond milk (10 oz almond milk without added calcium. 2 grams carbs) shake with my vitamix with half a peach and 1 inch of frozen banana and nurse it all day so my glucose won’t peak. I found by looking at my Er labs I saw my glucose was @110 when I was being admitted so sadly I miss my sushi unless I forfeit the rice portion. My doctor has me on 50 grams of carbs a day while ER says I need 70 to prevent AF. That’s their humble opinion.
September 05, 2019 01:14PM
Chicken fish and almonds contains K and mg. That’s what I eat for protein plus egg whites so I don’t supplement mg until recently. My Primary dr took s mg test so I supplement mg now even with a rich diet. I had all of my jejunum and part of my duodenum removed so I don’t easily absorbed vitamins from my intestines. It’s the intestines right after the stomach.

Since you are not me, may I suggest you get a mg and coQ10 serum test the next time you see a doctor to see how well your body absorbs minerals and vitamins?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login