Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vagus nerve stimulation

Posted by amyorca 
Vagus nerve stimulation
August 12, 2019 09:52PM
I recently saw a an article about a clinical trial for reducing afib episodes. The study had participants attach a clip to the tragus on their ear with a tens unit. The vagus nerve travels through the side of the body and this area stimulates the nerve.They had the people use the device for an hour a day for 6 months. The participants had an 85% reduction in the number of afib attacks they had. I can't find a trial in my area but I do have a tens unit and I bought some ear clips online the other day. I am going to do my own trial at home and see if it helps. I am willing to try anything at this point. I have read that there are other benefits as well with acupuncture and acupressure with the ear.
Has anyone else heard of this method?
Anonymous User
Re: Vagus nerve stimulation
August 13, 2019 02:48PM
I only wish I knew about this when I was experiencing paroxysmal a-fib.
In December I had a touch up a-fib ablation done along with another arrhythmia ablated and unfortunately my Vagus nerve was damaged. The ganglia fibers that control the para sympathetic drive are absent now so I have no “rest and digest” function. Had I known this was a consequence of ablations, I never would have done it. I’m looking at a drastic procedure now because of this horrible mistake. I’m only 59.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 03:02PM by ajr1960.
August 13, 2019 03:52PM
There's another post about this on the site that had a bit more information. Search and I'm sure you can find it.
HBK
August 14, 2019 03:59PM
ajr1960, I've read a lot about vagus nerve damage post ablation.

Is it possible that your problem will go away with more time? I've ready about healing times of 6 months - 1yr
August 15, 2019 05:13AM
I don't know about vagus nerve being damaged by ablation, but it sounds strange for me.
I was vagal afibber before any procedure. I'm still after 4. I don't think it's related, but I'm no doctor.
August 15, 2019 08:05AM
A number of studies online about damage to the vagus nerve during Ablation if you google. Might give you some up to date information on the treatments.
August 17, 2019 03:39AM
If I recall correctly Prof Sabine Ernst (Royal Brompton in London UK) deliberately targets certain vagal ganglia as part of some of her procedures (subsequent procedures after previous PVI) - presumably where episodes have been vagally rather than adrenergically mediated.
For PVI procedures, most ablatees report increased resting HR (10-20 BPM over pre-PVI) that typically resolves over 6 to 12 months - presumably this is due to some collateral damage to vagal nerve ganglia as a result of creating PVI lesions.
August 20, 2019 06:26AM
Hi, this sounds interesting. I may check it out because, 2 years post-ablation and I'm almost regretting it.

Prior to ablation I had 3 episodes of afib over a 6 months period. Ended up in emergency for the last 2 before I was finally diagnosed. Had ablation 4 months after 3rd episode and 6 months on I thought all was back to 'normal'.

But at this point in time, although I have not - yet - since had afib again I have awful ectopics that are vagally stimulated. I struggle to lie on either side in bed without getting them, if i eat too much = ectopics, if I get a bit bloated = ectopics; if I am a bit stressed = ectopics.

I have other health issues since too and that also kicks the ectopics off. I had a monitor on for a week a couple of months ago that picked up minor ectopics (typically) but they've become almost as disruptive as the occasional episode of afib now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login