Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Hydroxide - question for George

Posted by Gill 
Magnesium Hydroxide - question for George
June 24, 2019 06:55AM
George - you wrote

"I make my own MOM from magnesium hydroxide powder. I put 29g of magnesium hydroxide in 12 fl oz (354 mL) of water."

I decided to try this and my mag. Hydroxide has now arrived. I intend to try your quantities as above. Question - could I then use my home made MOM to make WW in the usual way? Just need confirmation from the expert!!

Gill
Re: Magnesium Hydroxide - question for George
June 24, 2019 03:38PM
I know you didn't ask, but I have been using the Good Sense brand MOM magnesium hydroxide from Amazon to make my own magnesium bicarbonate water. This particular brand does not have bleach like 90% of the store brands. Having great results with my magnesium water!
June 24, 2019 03:52PM
Gill
George - you wrote

"I make my own MOM from magnesium hydroxide powder. I put 29g of magnesium hydroxide in 12 fl oz (354 mL) of water."

I decided to try this and my mag. Hydroxide has now arrived. I intend to try your quantities as above. Question - could I then use my home made MOM to make WW in the usual way? Just need confirmation from the expert!!

Gill

Certainly, Gill. At one point MikeF (in a personal communication to me) tried it directly from the powder (rather than in the homemade MoM) and it reacted very quickly, I think he got a bit of a volcano as the CO2 water "erupted!"

When I use the magnesium hydroxide, I usually make MoM and then use that to make magnesium acetate from organic apple cider vinegar. When you dissolve the hydroxide in water, and then pour the water into the bicarbonate of soda bottle, the reaction is slow enough to allow you time to close the bottle back up.

Make sure you shake the MoM just before you measure it and put it in the soda water, the hydroxide will settle out.

Cheers,

George

For others benefit, per oneway's comment, the Kroger plain MoM in the states also lacks bleach. I used to use it and in fact, I use the MoM bottle to hold the concoction when I make my own.
June 29, 2019 06:59PM
George

I made the MOM and today used some of it to make a litre of Waller Water. However the bottle has not shrunk as it usually does. Do you think it will still be effective?

Gill
June 29, 2019 11:14PM
Gill
George

I made the MOM and today used some of it to make a litre of Waller Water. However the bottle has not shrunk as it usually does. Do you think it will still be effective?

Gill

I guess one way to test would be to drink straight MoM, in a quantity over your bowel tolerance and see if it has the laxative effect. The pH of Mom should be around 10.5, if you have a way to measure that.

I would expect it to act normally, I worked out the 29g quantity by working backwards.
355 ml/bottle /15 ml/tbls *595 g Mg/tbls = 14,082 mg Mg/bottle. 14.082/ (24.3 g/mole Mg/ 58.3 g/mole Mg(OH)2) = 14.082/.417=33.7 g of Mg(OH)2 per bottle. So my 29 g was off, a little low, but should still work.

The 29 to 30 g, that I would usually use certainly worked for my purposes, but I was making Magnesium Acetate not the Waller Water Mag Bicarb.

You could try upping the quantity and see if you get a different result.
June 30, 2019 12:25PM
Thanks George. The MOM that I made looked much more watery than the shop bought MOM, which is like pouring cream. Not sure I'm prepared to risk getting less magnesium, might have to go back to shop bought stuff. Worth trying though! For today’s potion I finished off a bottle of concentrate made with shop bought MOM and the rest was concentrate from home made. Will see what happens - bowel tolerance should be some indication.

Gill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login