Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amiodarone Side Effects

Posted by Josiah 
Amiodarone Side Effects
May 17, 2019 10:29AM
I have been taking Amiodarone with very good results for about four years. Recently I suffered a break out of AFIB which lasted a long time and I speculated the reason might be that for years I have been self medicating my hypothyroidism with just the hormone T3. I thought it might be prudent to switch to the less active hormone NDT. The first thyroid panel since this change showed all my hormone numbers normal except my Reverse T3 which was way way high. I learned from another Afibber that Amiodarone has a reputation for raising the hormone RT3 and he had to quit Amiodarone as a consequence. Has anyone on this forum had any similar experiences?
Re: Amiodarone Side Effects
May 18, 2019 10:11AM
Josiah: I posted about similar issues with Amiodarone years ago as have several others since
Amiodarone is known to cause thyroids to go from normal or hypo to hyper and it happened to me after about 2 years of taking the drug, and it happened quickly.

The UCSF Endocrinologist's simplified comments were that all the iodine in the Amiodarone simply burned out my thyroid. He put me on Methimazole for about 6 months and I ended up taking an organic supplement (Naturethroid), ever since. He prescribed the natural form as it contains some of the other T's whereas Levoxine, et. al., only contain T4 as many docs think that with enough T4 the body will make its own other T's.

A personal recommendation of his is to keep my TSH between 1.0 and 2.0 instead of the, "normal", range of 0.6 -3.6. He thinks its better for nerves among other things.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login