Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allergy medicine

Posted by Dinodog 
Allergy medicine
April 27, 2019 06:53AM
Hello everyone
Had a successful ablation in September. Having terrible spring allergies- and the post nasal drip and resulting cough are making me miserable and increasing my heart rate. I’m told nasal spray is the best option for post nasal drip- but reading many concerning things about these triggering afib. Can anyone tell me a safe spray? Will regular Claritin help and is that safe? The congestion is so bad it’s raising my heart rate which makes me uncomfortable-but I don’t want to make things worse. Thanks so much.
Tracy
Re: Allergy medicine
April 28, 2019 10:58AM
Claritin works pretty well for me. As long as there isn't decongestant I don't notice heart effects. You may also try eliminating the big food allergens or follow an anti-inflammation diet. This makes a significant difference for me when allergens are high..
April 28, 2019 03:18PM
I found that steriod nasal sprays induced palpitations, not surprisingly. There is a different class of nasal sprays which are mast-cell inhibitors which have a very benign side-effect profile. It is sold under the brand name Nasalcrom. I use it regularly in the Spring and Summer and have no problems. I also take Zyrtek for very heavy exposure, like cutting grass or hiking in the woods - it works but I prefer not to take it regularly.

There is an interesting history of the pharmaceutical industry attempting to recapture Nasalcrom as prescription drug. I don't know if they are still pursuing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 03:20PM by safib.
April 29, 2019 01:23AM
Singulair is another option. I don't think it has cardiac affects.
May 02, 2019 06:41AM
Thanks everyone.
October 18, 2019 12:22PM
Has anyone had any interactions with Singulair or the Generic form of this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login