Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question on Eliquis

Posted by Erin 
Question on Eliquis
April 25, 2019 08:31PM
I got bad case of flu in Feb. Then after i was getting better had a five hour afib episode. Converted on my own. Then five days later started Eliquis. Four hours after second dose, i bloated and got short of breath. Have been experiencing this for six weeks. At first heart doctor thought comgestive heart but echo was,ok,except for slight mitral valve regurgitation which they said could be from aging. Said nothing could account for shortness of breath. I am waiting on cat scan because i fear a cancer recurrrence. Has anyone ever heard of Eliquis causing shortness of breath and/or bloating. Sometimes it is almost normal. also, if you have valve leakage does that mean you get another point on scoring and you must take blood thinner? Thanks for anyninput.
Re: Question on Eliquis
April 25, 2019 09:30PM
Erin
Has anyone ever heard of Eliquis causing shortness of breath and/or bloating. Sometimes it is almost normal. also, if you have valve leakage does that mean you get another point on scoring and you must take blood thinner? Thanks for anyninput.

I've never heard of Eliquis causing SOB or bloating. Since this all began with a bout of flu, I would suspect it's lingering effects of that. Perhaps you have some bronchitis going on? A cardiologist isn't really the right doc to evaluate that. I would suggest a visit to your regular PCP/GP.

No, you don't get another CHADS point for mitral valve leakage. Honestly, if you're over 50 and you don't have at least a little mitral leakage, you're probably unusual.
April 26, 2019 09:43AM
Indeed Carey, Mitral valve regurgitation is literally ubiquitous from at least 30yrs and older ... even most 25 years old will show mild MVR as well.

It’s called ‘being human’ and is not actually considered a ‘condition’ of any note at all and certainly is zero to ever worry for one second about until, and unless, it becomes moderate to severe MVR and really only severe MVR typically warrants treatment.

Truly, echo reports should not even report mild MVR on echocardiographic scans as it causes so much consternation and unnecessary, wasteful repeat doctor visits just so anxious patients can ask their doctors if perhaps this means they are seriously ill and to reassure them they are not dying.

Cheers!
Shannon
April 26, 2019 03:28PM
It's reassuring news! I've been diagnosed mild MVR, and my cardiologist told me it's benign. But I didn't know it is considered really normal on my case (I'm 61).
Life is beautiful !
April 26, 2019 06:25PM
Following the flu, i became very short of breath. I went to er where they diagnosed heart failure on basis of bnp test. Heart doctor later confirmed diagnosis of congestive heart. . He said bnp test was nearly always right. My bnp was 183. I asked for an echo because my primary care doctor did not believe it was heart failure. As it turned out, i am glad i asked for echo. I made the cardiologist appointment because er told me to and because of severe shortness of breath. The valve leakage gave me no anxiety., Cancer recurrence does and so does heart failure.
April 28, 2019 11:05AM
I did not feel good on Eliquis. Mostly I remember having puffy eyes in the morning. I felt SOB too, but I think it was from the Flecainide or the combination of the two. Add flu on top and it could make SOB more noticeable. Infections affecting the lungs can take weeks to totally resolve. I also agree with the others on the mitral regard. I have been an echo tech for 30+ years. It is very common and normal to have trace amounts of mitral regard. As the valve closes a little blood sneaks through. No need to worry unless they call it moderate or worse. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login