Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fish and AF

Posted by Elizabeth 
fish and AF
April 16, 2019 10:10PM
I read this on a blog of the Peoples Phramacy about fish (salmon) which I am sure we all have heard how good it is for us.

{ about 6 years ago I began heart irregularities, I read that there are more cases of A-fib in Norway than other places and that the high amount of salmon that is consumed was associated with too much Omega 3 from salmon. After quitting both eating salmon and fish oil capsules my heart returned to normal.

“After 6 months I ate a small piece of salmon and immediately fibrillated. The problem got worse even though I quit fish of any kind. I went to a cardiologist who suggested I needed heart ablation. The operation took 7 hours and I was A-fib free for a year and a half. I tried a small piece of salmon and fibrillated for 2 days before it stopped. I have been A-Fib free since then and do not eat any fatty fish. Cod and shellfish are not a problem.”}

The funny thing is that I ate some Salmon last night and about 5:30 a.m. I woke up in AF, I was AF free for almost 5 weeks. I am not going to eat any salmon for a while to test it.

Liz
Re: fish and AF
April 17, 2019 12:17AM
Actually, you should do the opposite. You should eat a bunch of salmon, as much as you can.

I don't believe it for one second. It's just food.
Joe
April 17, 2019 04:49AM
Let us know how you get on with it, Liz. One never knows for sure unless tested beyond doubt. Any con-founders you can think of?
Some allergy might be involved?
April 17, 2019 08:44AM
Hi Liz - that's interesting. In the article you read, did they distinguish between farm-raised salmon and wild caught?

There's a lot of info about the various contaminants that end up in farm-raised fish and seafood. However, if the natural water habitat of fish also contains a higher mercury or lead contamination... ie, industrial waste, then the fish will also be contaminated... and heavy-metal contaminants are known to underlie many health issues but not detected without without specific evaluations targeting the heavy metals.

Jackie
April 17, 2019 01:43PM
I consume 1.2g/day of DHA & 1 g/day of EPA in probably 4 g/day off fish oil and it doesn't make a difference in my afib.
April 17, 2019 02:25PM
Carey you could be right, eat more salmon and see if it causes AF, it was just so weird that it happened after my reading that article.

I usually eat the canned Red Salmon, it is supposed to be wild caught. I don't know about that blogger.

George you are an enigma, also, you are a lot younger than me, I don't remember having problems with supplements or food. Maybe when we are older we don't tolerate things as well.

Liz
April 17, 2019 09:31PM
It has been known for years that food sensitivities (allergies) affect heart rate.

Coca Pulse Test Search

Dr. Arthur Coca wrote a book in 1956 called the The Pulse Test. This book is available online as a free PDF file download.

Coca Pulse Test PDF

There are also some YouTube videos available for viewing.

Coca Pulse Test Videos
April 20, 2019 07:44PM
I eat salmon weekly. But only wild, which is freaking expensive, as I no longer live on the west coast. But I love it & would never touch farm raised salmon.
Nancy
April 20, 2019 11:24PM
Hi Nancy - I don’t think farm raised salmon is any less healthy than wild and far, far healthier than organic, grass fed beef. Yes, there are trace amounts of nasty chemicals in it, but at levels way below what is likely to be harmful in the amounts that most people consume. It might be an issue if that is all one ate.

Update: I did a little research and I think Nancy is correct that wild salmon is healthier, primarily because it is significantly lower in calories and saturated fat than the farmed variety. I will look for sustainability caught wild fish now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 11:46PM by JoeM.
April 28, 2019 11:13AM
I would trust your body. You might not know the reason right away, but trust your body. At the beginning of my journey a doctor told me to take magnesium. I used the product Calm and every time I tried it I'd have 3 hours of frequent ectopy. They told me that was impossible, it was magnesium, but multiple times I tried it and the same thing happened. I have since tried different products, one called Jigsaw, and also magnesium lotion, and they were ok.
April 28, 2019 03:07PM
I also get palpitations from salmon and fish oil. The fish oil effect is much greater, so I avoid it but still eat some salmon weekly.

There is a link between increased calcium absorption and essential fatty acid supplementation. Hence, it may be the same calcium-related issues. Those who megadose on magnesium or who otherwise keep their calcium intake low might be less susceptible to the effect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login