Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bisoprolol and magnesium

Posted by lizzie 
bisoprolol and magnesium
April 14, 2019 04:17PM
The bisoprolol is not taken for high blood pressure, just to keep the heart rate down, I also take propafenone. My question is, does taking magnesium interfere with these drugs.
Re: bisoprolol and magnesium
April 14, 2019 06:08PM
I take propafenone and Magnesium and have not noticed any interference. I also take Cardizem which says there are interactions with magnesium. I think the concern is BP getting too low but I haven't noticed that. Bisoprolol seems to be used for the same reason as cardizem .
April 15, 2019 12:19AM
I took bisoprolol and flecainide, with and without supplementing with Mg. I took bisoprolol alone or flecainide alone, with and without Mg.
Both meds had their well known adverse effects, Mg didn't change them.
For me, the only adverse effect of Mg is diarrhea when overdosing. As bisoprolol and flecainide have constipation among their adverse effects, supplementing with Mg was all good.
April 15, 2019 01:00AM
lizzie
My question is, does taking magnesium interfere with these drugs.

Nope. Many of us here take combinations of those drugs without problem. A drug interaction checker agrees it's not a problem.
April 15, 2019 06:19PM
Thanks for the information...I was just curious...I'm using magnesium citrate, drinking it before bed and Thursday of last week I woke up in afib.
April 15, 2019 08:09PM
Magnesium helps but it won't prevent afib. If it did, it would be miracle drug.
April 15, 2019 08:50PM
Actually I haven't had an episode since last year, I only just started taking the magnesium and I had the episode, thats why I was thinking it might have something to do with mixing of the drugs.
April 15, 2019 09:36PM
I can see why you might think they were connected but I doubt they were. Just be grateful your episodes only happen once per year and keep taking the magnesium. Maybe it will help prevent it from becoming more frequent.
April 16, 2019 12:27AM
The most positive effect of magnesium is it's relaxing properties. As Carey said, it can't prevent afib, but it usually gives better sleep. It's crucial for me, as I tend having ectopics (and, then, sometimes afib) at rest.
I'd have ectopics when just laying down for the night and sometimes in the early hours if I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I guess it's a stress affair.
I take my last Mg caps before going to bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login