Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MRI after Watchman implant

Posted by ron 
ron
MRI after Watchman implant
April 11, 2019 07:09PM
What limitations does the watchman have on getting an MRI ?

From my research, MRI may be allowed only under certain conditions as listed on the watchman device implant card.

Are the limitations with a implant so restrictive that an MRI would be less effective with someone that had no implant ?

...Ron H
Re: MRI after Watchman implant
April 11, 2019 07:31PM
Hi Ron,

I had a Watchman implant last September. I had an MRI a couple of weeks ago.(head and neck, for a hearing issue). They followed the instructions on the implant card, which didn't phase them at all. Everything went nicely.

I can't verify that there was reduced quality. They didn't say anything to that effect. And the ordering physician was happy with the results.

I would note that the ordering physician was initially reluctant to order the MRI, and suggested a CT scan instead. Dr. Natale's N.P. contacted him and assured him that there would be no issue with the MRI if the instructions on the card were followed.

All best wishes,

--Lance
April 11, 2019 07:33PM
There really aren't any major restrictions. The Watchman is safe in MRIs up to 3 tesla, which is the strongest MRI you're going to encounter. And that's immediately after implant. I would imagine that once it's been fully endothelialized MRIs are probably fairly irrelevant. The metal in a Watchman is nitinol, which is a nickle-titanium alloy and isn't magnetic.

A Watchman really wouldn't be relevant to an MRI unless they wanted to look specifically at the LAA, but that's unlikely. I can't imagine why anyone would need an MRI of your LAA. And if they did, they could probably substitute a CT scan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 08:38PM by Carey.
April 17, 2019 10:29PM
Before I had my Watchman I asked my EP about exrays, MRIs, mammograms, etc. snd he said it would not be an issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login