Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My EP wants to put me on Eliquis

Posted by Shannon slattery 
My EP wants to put me on Eliquis
April 09, 2019 01:38PM
I am a 71 year old female in good health other than Afib. I exercise daily, eat healthy and my weight is good. My EP thinks I should start taking Eliquis because of my age. I am concerned that any anticoagulant can cause long term health problems. Please let me know what your experience is with anticoagulants long term.
Re: My EP wants to put me on Eliquis
April 09, 2019 02:32PM
How often are you in afib and how long do the episodes last?

There aren't any significant health problems associated with long-term use of anticoagulants. The only downside is an increased risk of bleeding, but whether that risk outweighs your risk of stroke from the afib depends on several things, most notably how much afib you experience and your CHADS-Vasc score. Don't count the point the score gives you for being female. If your score without that point is 2 or more then you should take Eliquis. If it's less than 2, then it's a judgement call that will depend more on how much afib you experience.
April 09, 2019 05:07PM
Hi Carey,
I have two episodes each month lasting 24 or more. My Chad score is1. I hate to take any meds!
April 09, 2019 07:03PM
I wouldn't go through two 24-hr episodes per month without an anticoagulant. Even with a CHADS 1 that's pushing the risks. However, what I might do if I were in your shoes is take the Eliquis only as needed. I would take it immediately when an episode begins and continue taking it every 12 hours for at least a few days after it stops. I doubt your EP will endorse such a plan, but it's your decision and you don't need his permission.
April 10, 2019 03:52AM
My CHADS score is 0, and I'm used to short (<2h) afib episodes. I've always some OAC with me. In case it exceeds 2h, I don't wait more to take my anticoagulant, following the method Carey explained.
With 24h afib 2*month, I'd take an OAC all the time, even if I dislike taking this kind of med.
April 10, 2019 08:16AM
Carey
I wouldn't go through two 24-hr episodes per month without an anticoagulant. Even with a CHADS 1 that's pushing the risks. However, what I might do if I were in your shoes is take the Eliquis only as needed. I would take it immediately when an episode begins and continue taking it every 12 hours for at least a few days after it stops. I doubt your EP will endorse such a plan, but it's your decision and you don't need his permission.

My EP said the Eliquis takes effect 2 hours after taking it. Is that your understanding?
April 10, 2019 10:09AM
katesshadow
My EP said the Eliquis takes effect 2 hours after taking it. Is that your understanding?

It starts taking effect within about 30 minutes. Two hours is when it reaches full effect.
April 10, 2019 11:28AM
Carey

It starts taking effect within about 30 minutes. Two hours is when it reaches full effect.

Well that's good to know. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login