Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Year Natale Post Ablation Today

Posted by Teddy 
One Year Natale Post Ablation Today
April 05, 2019 01:42PM
Hello everyone. I am just reporting out to all those who follow the Natale ablation histories. My case is one those best case scenarios as I had Afib events separated by years, not months or days for a total of 10 years. Then in 2017 I had 3 events in one year so I decided to aggressive attack the issue before my condition became persistent or extensive remodeling occurred. I saw Dr. Natale mentioned in this forum and was able to get a consultation on his very last day in San Francisco.

To my surprise, he took my case even though it was not a complex one. And he agreed to perform the procedure near Los Angles which would only be the second time I met with him. There were no complications or surprises during the PVI. I had a terrible experience from the intubation device (LMA) and not Natale's fault but I could not swallow without intense pain for 2 weeks! Again, nothing to do with the ablation itself.

The only hiccup was when I decided not to take any meds for rate or rhythm during the blanking period (no betablocker or anti-arrhythmics) and so at the 3 week mark I went into Aflutter for 3 days until I could get electrically cardioverted. But then I took Natale's advice and went on them both for the duration of the blanking period. I don't think that event would of happened if I had been on those meds right after the surgery.

No events since then and no PVCs like I typically had before. As I have made it to the one year mark without an Afib event, the procedure is considered successful. But from reading at this forum, I know that could change anyday or maybe never at all. From here on out, it's just wait and see and then be prepared for a touchup, if ever needed. Good luck to everyone going down this road. I have been very lucky not to have had a complex case. Dr. Natale was great, of course.
Re: One Year Natale Post Ablation Today
April 05, 2019 01:58PM
Great outcome Teddy. Good to hear. Long may it last!
April 05, 2019 02:03PM
Welcome to the club Teddy. 10,000 plus strong.

Here's to your NSA lasting a lifetime.
April 05, 2019 09:25PM
Hey Teddy,

Ugh, I just wrote a whole note to you & a computer glitch lost it.

I don't want to start it over, but I will ask this now: Did your anesthesia problem with the intubation happen because of an inexperienced anesthesiologist or what? That is just as important as the procedure.

I have had afib & sometimes flutter for 1 1/2 yrs about 3x/month & did not think I had much of a problem bec the episodes are not hard to endure & stop on their own. Now I have been seeing on this site that people have gone having only 1 episode a year & think that is bad. I was hoping I was not being extreme in asking Dr. Natale to consider doing my ablation since I too feel I am not a complex case. No high blood pressure or heart disease, just this afib & flutter. Unfortunately, my thyroid was totally removed surgically 14 yr ago, but other than that I am pretty strong & healthy.

Thanks for sharing your story. It helps me to realize that even I deserve to consider ablation by Dr. Natale.
April 05, 2019 09:48PM
I very much doubt that Natale would use an inexperienced anesthesiologist. Sometimes sh*t just happens.
April 06, 2019 02:23AM
Good to hear about people who are "cured" after ablation. When we feel nice we often forget telling about.
Thanks for your report.
April 06, 2019 05:37AM
That's great news.
April 06, 2019 10:55AM
As a follow-up for Madeline's question on my LMA experience, Carey is right. You should expect no problems if the anesthesiologist chooses to use this device. I have done extensive research after this happened to me and I was unable to uncover significant complaints. Before settling on my final and current career, I was a Paramedic. I was trained using the standard ET tube which requires you to visualize and place it between the vocal cords. This can be a problem and the LMA solves this issue because it is placed above the cords but still protects the airway. That is why the current trends see this device used frequently. Anesthesiologists love it because it is easy to place and reduces their liability. However, if the cuff is over inflated, it can produce more soreness afterwards.

I must of had that happen plus he scrapped my throat by other means as well. He was not unexperienced. My luck of the draw was that I had a terrible side effect from it and I was so angry that I was going to post it here at the forum and alert folks not to allow the device to be placed. But after my research, it was just my anger that I wanted to vent. All research indicates that the LMA is safer to the patient than the ET tube. I doubt Dr. Natalle even his a choice on what is placed as it is the anesthesiologists domain. Again, this has no reflection on my ablation experience as it is a completely different subject. You should have no severe side effects from the LMA. I had a great ablation and a lousy intubation. Overall, I am extremely blessed and thankful.
April 09, 2019 12:21AM
Teddy
Before settling on my final and current career, I was a Paramedic. I was trained using the standard ET tube which requires you to visualize and place it between the vocal cords. This can be a problem and the LMA solves this issue because it is placed above the cords but still protects the airway.

Welcome, Teddy. smileys with beer
April 11, 2019 04:32PM
Thanks very much for posting your results...very helpful...
June 29, 2019 10:27PM
I had my first ablation with Dr Natale 3 weeks ago and also had some dysphagia. I happen to be an anesthesiologist and know that I had no issues with dysphagia after being intubated with a hernia surgery. So I see that dysphagia is a common short term complication that is very common with ablation due to the proximity of the esophagus to the ablated region. So although most people feel the anesthesiologist is to blame for the intubation, it would be like assuming your throat is sore from a tonsillectomy due to the intubation.
I am just happy the procedure had minimal complications and excited to get past the blanking period and get off my meds! Appreciate the great knowledge provided on this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login