Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AF episodes are different

Posted by Elizabeth 
AF episodes are different
March 24, 2019 09:48PM
As I have said in previous posts that I have a Pacemaker, it records my episodes of AF. About every 3 months or so I send in a recording from the device to the device clinic, they read it and they see my AF episodes, when and for how long. I sent in a recording last Wed., I called the next day and spoke with the device nurse. I know when I had my AF episodes and usually for how long, we agreed on the days but she said I went in and out of AF and she said that I wasn't in AF all that long, she said about 2.7% total for the 6 days that I had my episodes (from last Oct. to the present).

Now that is puzzling to me because on those days I believe I was in AF about a total of 14 to 18 hours, not continually, when I would be resting I had a regular heartbeat (not fast but different not like when I have no AF. When I have no AF at all, my heartbeat is strong/regular, on those days when I am having some AF my heartbeat is not real strong. When I no longer have any more AF, my heartbeat goes back to being the strong heartbeat that I can feel easily.

So, I am wondering why this nurse only sees the small amount of AF that she relayed to me. My AF episodes have changed these last few years, I used to be in AF (and I knew it) and I knew when I converted. I won't see my EP until May so I am left to wonder, I guess everything is alright but I need to know for sure because I believe I am in AF longer than what this device nurse has said.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 09:50PM by Elizabeth.
Re: AF episodes are different
March 24, 2019 09:58PM
Liz,

Wondering if she meant you were in afib 2.7% of each day you were in afib or 2.7% of the time for the last 6 months? 6 days/182.5 days (assuming an exact 6 month window) = 3.3%. Ratioing 2.7%/3.3% x 24 hours = 19.6 hours. In the ballpark of what you've reported.

Another way to do the math 0.027x 182.5 = 4.93 days in afib. 4.93/6x24= 19.7 hours/day of afib for each of those six days.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 10:27PM by GeorgeN.
March 24, 2019 10:21PM
George:

She said I was in AF only a total of 2.7%, she said I wasn't in it very long. I doubt if she is the math wizard that you are and neither am I. It also leads me to wonder about how good these pacemakers are in recording my AF info.

Your math makes sense, it is possible, the only thing is she said I wasn't in AF for very long.

Liz
March 25, 2019 03:34AM
Could of those periods of time been while you were having PAC's? I notice that sometimes when I have alot of Ectopy or PAC's, that even though I am still in NSR, my Pulse feels weaker, and I don't have as much energy. These PAC's can go on for hours and hours, every 2nd or 3rd beat then a PAC, followed by a brief pause.
March 25, 2019 10:55PM
Elizabeth
She said I was in AF only a total of 2.7%, she said I wasn't in it very long. I doubt if she is the math wizard that you are and neither am I. It also leads me to wonder about how good these pacemakers are in recording my AF info.

Your math makes sense, it is possible, the only thing is she said I wasn't in AF for very long.

Liz

You might ask them for a report of what days you were in afib and how many hours on each day. If they can/would provide this, it would clarify things for you and avoid any math confusion.
March 27, 2019 03:25PM
Liz ... If you have a smartphone you may want to consider getting the app "Photo Afib Detector" which will evaluate and quantify any Afib symptoms, You can save readings as desired ... I've shown them to my cardiologists and they helped a lot in documenting when and how long I was in Afib. LasVegas-Roy
March 27, 2019 10:12PM

I will take a look at it.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login