Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Water

Posted by katesshadow 
Magnesium Water
March 22, 2019 08:23AM
[www.afibbers.org]

I was looking at the post on making magnesium water using Milk of Magnesia and seltzer. The ingredients list 1500 mg of magnesium but later on I read that once you mix the seltzer water and the Milk of Magnesium it is 125 mg Mg per liter?
Re: Magnesium Water
March 22, 2019 01:01PM
The following clips are from my response to a previous post asking similar questions... Hope this helps clarify.
Jackie

....… Following is a guideline that I use based on Erling’s research when he perfected the WW concentrate. Remember, that after you make the concentrate, you add that to your drinking water…so it’s very diluted.

One (1) liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate

There are 33.814 ounces in one liter… just a bit more than 1 quart.

1500 divided by 33.8 = 45.45 mg magnesium/ounce of WW concentrate…

While 45 mg doesn’t seem like much, keep in mind that according to what Erling’s research produced way back when during the formulation of the home version of the commercially available, patented Unique Water… we learned that
Magnesium dissolved in water (ionized) is said to be about 30% more "bio-available" than when in a tablet or capsule form. To get the approximate equivalent amount of magnesium in a bound (non-ionized) tablet form add 30% to the values for Mg in this water.

For example, if 1 liter of this water has 132 mg of Mg, the approximate equivalent amount in a tablet is (132 + 30%) = 171 mg of Mg

So in this case, 45 mg magnesium in one ounce of concentrate x 30% would be 135 mg magnesium.

Erling’s research indicates this excerpt: …

“Magnesium-bicarbonate is a molecule that apparently does not dissociate into its constituent Mg++ and HCO3- ions until it enters cells…. which is very important on several levels.”

Following is a clip from Erling’s research on health benefits of consuming the magnesium bicarbonate form via the water that was posted in 2012 . Just FYI…. It’s compelling evidence for consuming this form of magnesium and after re-reading this again, I’m going to cut back on some of the other forms and add more of the of the magnesium bicarbonate both concentrate and in water as the alkalizing properties are so compelling. I am, after all, a member of the aging population… as we all are.

Go slowly… low dosing and space it out throughout the day.
Jackie

Non Pharmaceutical Health Care and Unique Water
Non Pharmaceutical Health Care is an academic research group based in Australia. Non Pharmaceutical Health Care embraces an approach to health care that emphasizes the importance of the maintenance of health in the prevention of disease and in the prolongation of a healthy life. Central to this approach is the recognition that the maintenance of health requires the maintenance of optimal thermodynamic conditions in the body so that body cells maintain their life processes.

It is our hypothesis that there is overwhelming scientific, medical and empirical evidence that it is possible to slow the ageing process, to assist the prevention of the onset of degenerative diseases, and to extend your lifespan if you avoid the damaging effects of excess acid and carbon dioxide in your body.

April 11, 2000. U.S. Patent 6,048,553 Russell Beckett [patft.uspto.gov]

Continue [www.afibbers.net] - not active
[www.afibbers.org] - the .org is the active link now.
March 22, 2019 02:44PM
Thank you Jackie!
March 23, 2019 11:12AM
Jackie

I have been taking Waller Water every day for many years, sometimes lots of it, up to bowel tolerance. It is a very easily available source of magnesium, and very cheap!

I just wonder how much magnesium would you get if you took the Milk of Magnesia neat? I wouldn’t do it, of course because of bowel tolerance issues, I’m just curious!

Gill
March 23, 2019 01:19PM
Hello Gill - So nice to see your name here. Hope all goes well and you continue to enjoy your active life!

As to your question, I went back into my (very large) accumulation of data on our WW and found the following statement from Erling... which I'll use as a reliable response and speaks to the fundamental focus of the WW - magnesium bicarbonate water - which was formulated to duplicate the patented "Unique Water" or magnesium bicarbonate water from pathologist, Dr. Russell Beckett's research and experiments.

Quote:
The advantages of the aqueous neutral to mildly alkaline metal bicarbonate solution of the invention are that the magnesium cations function as bicarbonate transporters into body cells. Magnesium bicarbonate enters body cells and the bicarbonate anions function to displace from equilibrium the dissociation reaction of intracellular carbonic acid.

Magnesium bicarbonate enters body cells and the bicarbonate anions function as an intracellular proton sink (or proton scavenger). Magnesium bicarbonate enters body cells and the bicarbonate anions function to displace from equilibrium the hydration reaction of carbon dioxide which is catalysed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase.

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that Mg-bicarbonate co-transport is the very best way to get Mg into cells, far superior even to Mg-glycinate chelate by Albion where the Mg must be pumped 'uphill" against a 'concentration gradient' by ATP dependent active-transport
Erling. Unquote.

My comment would be that I have a vague recollection that the alkalizing property of the Mg bicarbonate helps prevent the dissociation ... (so that it doesn't dissociate as rapidly or at all)...in the environment stomach acid. Additionally, the overall alkalizing effect systemically, as a whole, is a health factor in and of itself. With the plain MoM concentrate taken 'neat'... there is no way to know how much elemental Mg arrives at the cell wall/receptor site because it can combine with some other element in the stomach and perhaps (then) not be as absorbable once it arrives at the cell receptor sites.

I would also comment that the Albion chelated magnesium patented process prevents the dissociation or breakdown of the compound in the stomach acid because the chelate bonds remain intact until they get through the stomach and intestine and arrive at the receptor sites on the outer envelope of the cells and (assuming the sites are not damaged), the receptors will 'accept' the chelate into the cell... intact, as intended, and that's why it's patented.

I'm guessing that if you take it 'neat,' then it will eventually function as a laxative depending on how much you take during a specific time-frame. If you meter it out in small doses over considerable time span, you may be able to avoid the bowel tolerance effect, but I can't give you any documented references that specify how much actually is intracellular. Make no mistake, even the patented chelated version will cause the bowel tolerance issues once the intracellular stores are optimized.

If you decide to experiment, please keep us informed. I realize we are all individually unique in responses, but I'm sure that others have wondered about a similar substitution.

Take care and be well... enjoy your summer!
Best to you,
Jackie
Joe
March 23, 2019 06:36PM
Has anybody had experience with H2 water which makes Mg malate? Suspect it is inferior to Waller water for getting Mg into cells but might have other benefits?
[www.youtube.com]
March 23, 2019 07:12PM
Gill
I just wonder how much magnesium would you get if you took the Milk of Magnesia neat? I wouldn’t do it, of course because of bowel tolerance issues, I’m just curious!

Gill

I make my own MOM from magnesium hydroxide powder. I put 29g of magnesium hydroxide in 12 fl oz (354 mL) of water. I used to make mag bicarb, but rarely do now as it is too dilute for my unusual needs and the hassle of chilling the soda water and waiting for it to react for a number of hours.. I commonly make magnesium acetate by mixing the MOM & organic apple cider vinegar in a 2:7 ratio, which reacts nearly instantly.
DIY Magnesium acetate is describe on p6 of this file: <[www.dropbox.com] This was originally linked by the author (ghg) of this post: <[www.afibbers.org]

More recently I've also used the MOM by itself, especially when doing multi-day water fasts, with good effect for my afib.

Each TBSP of MOM is about 500 mg of elemental magnesium.

George
March 24, 2019 10:16AM
Thanks, George, for bringing this forward...
I had forgotten that very enlightening (and beneficial) discussion.

Jackie
March 24, 2019 02:00PM
Okay.....I just realized the MoM / Seltzer water is concentrated and should be added to water. (Read Step 4 in the directions....)

So....how much do I add to a glass of water. And, do I drink app. 64 oz a day (which is about how much water I drink now)?
March 24, 2019 06:16PM
What I do is make the concentrate by putting 45ml of MOM into 1 liter of seltzer. Once that reaction is complete, I just get a 1 gallon water jug (or milk jug if you’ve cleaned it really well), and put 11oz of the concentrate in it then fill with water. That gets things close. The first time you do it, if the bottle’s not empty, pour it out into something else then pour in the 11oz of concentrate and mark the level on the outside of the jug. That eliminates the need for measuring in the future. Then just refill to the original fill line (which you can also mark) and you’re good to go. You’ll get almost exactly 3 one gallon fills from a 1 liter bottle of concentrate. Another good rule of thumb to know that you’re doing things right. I’ve measured this approach with a pH meter and found the mixture to be right at 8.3 which pretty closely matches the commercially available alkaline waters that are ridiculously expensive and also made with sodium bicarbonate.

Also recall that there are 8oz in a cup so if all you have is a kitchen measuring cup then 1 1/2 cups would be 12oz, so 11oz is found by filling it just shy of the 1 1/2 cup mark. That’s plenty well within the ballpark and you’ll do just fine making it that way.

I keep a 1 gallon jug at home and at work at all times. So little need to mix and remember ratios all the time. As for how much you should drink in a day, remember the magnesium is additive to what you may already be supplementing so you’ll need to find out if there’s a bowel tolerance issue when drinking a lot of the WW. It’s not going to hurt you but you don’t want loose stools. So experiment and find out what works for you in terms of daily dosage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 06:27PM by wolfpack.
March 25, 2019 09:30AM
wolfpack
What I do is make the concentrate by putting 45ml of MOM into 1 liter of seltzer. Once that reaction is complete, I just get a 1 gallon water jug (or milk jug if you’ve cleaned it really well), and put 11oz of the concentrate in it then fill with water. That gets things close. The first time you do it, if the bottle’s not empty, pour it out into something else then pour in the 11oz of concentrate and mark the level on the outside of the jug. That eliminates the need for measuring in the future. Then just refill to the original fill line (which you can also mark) and you’re good to go. You’ll get almost exactly 3 one gallon fills from a 1 liter bottle of concentrate. Another good rule of thumb to know that you’re doing things right. I’ve measured this approach with a pH meter and found the mixture to be right at 8.3 which pretty closely matches the commercially available alkaline waters that are ridiculously expensive and also made with sodium bicarbonate.

Also recall that there are 8oz in a cup so if all you have is a kitchen measuring cup then 1 1/2 cups would be 12oz, so 11oz is found by filling it just shy of the 1 1/2 cup mark. That’s plenty well within the ballpark and you’ll do just fine making it that way.

I keep a 1 gallon jug at home and at work at all times. So little need to mix and remember ratios all the time. As for how much you should drink in a day, remember the magnesium is additive to what you may already be supplementing so you’ll need to find out if there’s a bowel tolerance issue when drinking a lot of the WW. It’s not going to hurt you but you don’t want loose stools. So experiment and find out what works for you in terms of daily dosage.

Thank you. How long can it be stored?
March 25, 2019 10:50AM
I would imagine quite some time. Water has no expiration date.
March 25, 2019 12:32PM
Wolfpack - did you know that English pints are 20 fluid ounces, whereas American pints are 16 fluid ounces. So one US half pint cup is less than one UK cup.

Might be worth mentioning this because there are people from all over the world on this forum.

Gill
March 25, 2019 10:17PM
Gill
Wolfpack - did you know that English pints are 20 fluid ounces, whereas American pints are 16 fluid ounces. So one US half pint cup is less than one UK cup.

Might be worth mentioning this because there are people from all over the world on this forum.

Gill

Thank you for arguing for the metric system. smiling smiley

My next pint of beer will be of the English variety. smileys with beer
Joe
March 25, 2019 10:33PM
wolfpack

Gill

Thank you for arguing for the metric system. smiling smiley

My next pint of beer will be of the English variety. smileys with beer

Indeed! Why not use the metric system instead of all these awkward ancient systems???? The English and US people aren't backward in other areaswinking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login