Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Member - Started Tikosyn Feb 26, 2019

Posted by LasVegas-Roy 
New Member - Started Tikosyn Feb 26, 2019
March 15, 2019 12:41AM
I am a 74-year old male and 50-year cancer survivor but with late effects of wide-field radiation therapy administered in 1968. The radiation and then chemotherapy cured Hodgkin Lymphoma and provided 25-years of excellent health but the radiation left scar tissue that as I aged calcified resulting in lung and heart issues. I had Acute Myocardial Infarctions at age 63 and 71 and have stents in the Right and Left-Main Coronary Arteries, Moderate Aortic Stenosis and Constrictive Pericarditis.

One year ago I began experiencing symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation/Flutter and started Eliquis to prevent a stroke. Two months ago I learned about the IOS app "Photo AFib Detector" and began to document increasing A-Fib symptoms. My primary cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiology associate who reviewed my history and felt that the Constrictive Pericarditis was most likely causing it. The pericardium is thickened and stiff and is squeezing the heart. The electrophysiologist felt ablation in this case might make the A-Fib worse and recommended starting Tikosyn (Dofetilide) which I did on Feb 26, 2019. The first 2-doses in the hospital were 500mg but EKGs showed a QT Interval of 540ms and subsequent doses were 250mg (twice a day) resulting in the QT Prolongation issue being corrected.

After 16-days on Dofetilide 250mg I have had no A-Fib symptoms nor seen any on the Photo AFib Detector, my average heart rate is down 6-beats and I generally feel better and less short-of-breath than I have in the past year. There is some occasional dizziness and I know it’s a typical side effect of Dofetilide so I am monitoring it. Your comments and questions are welcome. LasVegas-Roy
Re: New Member - Started Tikosyn Feb 26, 2019
March 15, 2019 01:45AM
Hi Roy,

Overall, that sounds like a pretty positive start. I spent some time on Tikosyn and what others told me who'd been on it before turned out to be true. The longer you take it, the more effective it becomes. I wasn't on it long enough to know how long that improvement continues, but over the course of 3-4 months I definitely noticed a steady improvement each month. It was a pretty mild yet effective drug for me.
March 28, 2019 11:10AM
I have been on Dofetilide 500 mg, bid for over six months. After my cardioversion I am in normal rhythm since then. A few occurrences of PAC's in the first three months but none since. My EP says this is the case in 60% of cases. My background is much different than yours. I was, and hopefully again, a high effort cyclist and body builder. I took Eliquis but now will be switched to aspirin. I have not noticed any issues with Dofetilide. Good luck.
April 02, 2019 09:53PM
Thank you Carey & docboss. Now 35-days on Dofetilide 250 mg I had an EKG and saw my EP this afternoon. He was pleased as my average resting HR has gone from 94-beats/minute to 87-beats/minute and my incidence of AF has gone from 5-6 episodes a week to typically one moderate episode a week. The EKG was in NSR with good QT Interval. I was given a 90-day RX for Dofetilide 250 mg (2xDay) which the EP feels is right for me (I'm only 115-lbs) and was scheduled for a follow-up appointment in 4-months. LasVegas-Roy
April 04, 2019 12:56AM
Good news, Roy! You can probably look forward to some slow improvement for a while. Not sure how long it lasts but most people notice that it becomes more effective over time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login