Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amitriptyline

Posted by Sbvcrn 
Amitriptyline
March 14, 2019 11:43PM
I have rare episodes (once year or so) lastting an hour ot two...pill in pocket. Unfortunately I got shingles and now have Post herbetic neuropathy...horrible pain even though shingles is over. Vicodin helps for about two hours but since the opiod crisis hard for a doctor to perscribe. Even the pain management doc wants to try a amitriptyline for this horrible pain...knowing full well my history. BUt then again the pain is horrible and this drug is one of the old antidepressants that help with nerve pain. Yeah tried lyrica, etc no help. This is a very painful situation. Anybodyelse use it for this? Ps on eliquis too.
Re: Amitriptyline
March 15, 2019 05:54AM
There are side-effects from Tricyclic Anti-depressants. Cardiovascular ones listed by Wikipedia are: "cardiovascular side effects such as orthostatic hypotension, sinus tachycardia, and QT-interval prolongation"
I started to use one of these types of drugs for Nerve and Pain related issues, but these side-effects discouraged me, I never really followed through, and I understand that Amitriptyline is not the only type of Tricyclic Anti-Depressant that has this effect on dampening down pain.

It may be a good option to try considering the side-effects from other types of drugs may be even worse. I would run this by your Heart Doctor, especially when doing your "Pill-in-the-pocket" Therapy.
March 15, 2019 01:24PM
About 20 years ago I had a brush with shingles. ...very early in the the prodromal stage was given acyclovir (FamVir) which prevented it from going into the advanced stages. I was leaving on vacation the next morning so saw an Urgent Care doctor who said to always have it handy and to keep on hand if the sensations ever surfaced again... and periodically, if I become extremely stressed, I'll start feeling those 'ripples of both pain and itching' across my upper back, and the FamVir always prevents it from progressing. (Just FYI for your future care...for which I hope you don't ever have need.

My research at the time, led to a couple of pain remedies for post-herpetic neuralgia... One is to apply the Essential Oil of Peppermint of good quality. . From my files, here's the study link [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Peppermint EO is extremely useful and it does take pain away... just don't get it in your eyes... so wash your hands after applying.

Also Capsasin applied topically also works well. Same warning about the eye issue
Another study [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Capsaicin

Postherpetic neuralgia is a complication of shingles, that can last long after the initial rash and blisters disappear. It affects nerve fibers and skin, causing chronic burning pain. Studies show that topical capsaicin may be an effective treatment. Capsaicin is the compound in hot peppers that gives them their spice.

In a double-blind study 32 elderly patients with chronic postherpetic neuralgia were treated with either capsaicin cream or a placebo. After six weeks the capsaicin group had significantly greater relief. In fact, almost 80 percent of capsaicin-treated patients had relief from postherpetic neuralgia. The researchers noted that because capsaicin avoids problems with drug interactions and systemic toxicity, it should be considered the first choice in management of postherpetic neuralgia.

In another double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 143 Canadian patients with chronic postherpetic neuralgia patients received topically applied capsaicin 0.075% cream or placebo. After six weeks pain reduction, pain severity, pain relief, and functional capacity significantly improved for the capsaicin group but the placebo group remained unchanged.

Researchers also followed 77 of the patients in an open-label arm of the same study for two years. They found that the benefits of the six-week trial were maintained or improved in 86 percent of the patients. And there were no serious adverse effects of the capsaicin. The researchers concluded that capsaicin cream should be the first choice in treating postherpetic neuralgia. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Hope you find relief soon.

Jackie
March 16, 2019 12:36AM
Jackie: "I'll start feeling those 'ripples of both pain and itching' across my upper back, and the FamVir always prevents it from progressing."

How much Acyclovir do you take when this happens and for how long? Do you take 400 or 800 mg and how many times per day to stop it?
March 16, 2019 09:16AM
The tablets are 500 mg with dosing instructions of twice daily. I would typically take one dose as soon as I felt it becoming symptomatic and then a second dose 8 - 10 hours later. Usually, that's all I would need to calm it down.
But... initially, when I had the first onset, I took it for a week.

Jackie
March 16, 2019 02:06PM
This may be worth a read [www.drpawluk.com]
Pemf cured my wife's nerve pain that she had for about 5 years.
March 18, 2019 12:18AM
Thanks everyone. I have tried the capsacin and unfortunately bUrned my neck slightly. I have really sensitive skin. My original pain started in my ears...better now but awful pain on side of neck now. The actual shingles is on my scalp. I was started on Valtrex right away and had previously had the zostavax. Am Currently on a long waiting list for the Shingrix here...i am fearful of the amitriptyline. Hopefully, if need be, I can find a more compassionate pain management doctor. Seems like so many doctors think we are all opiod seekers....which I am not, nor have been. Wonder about marijuana? I will look into the peppermint oil. Problem is my skin Is so sensitive.
March 18, 2019 01:16PM
Sbvcrn - with the peppermint essential oil.... you can dilute the EO concentrate with something like fractionated coconut oil or even just regular coconut oil or argan oil. . The true essential oil (itself) doesn't become "diluted" ... it just is less concentrated in one area so for sensitive skin... it will lessen the 'burn' or sensation...but not the therapeutic value. I would not put it in your ear canal.

I have particularly like Argan oil for this purpose. It absorbs into the skin quickly and really transports the oils quickly.

I do hope you can get relief soon.
Jackie
March 18, 2019 03:09PM
Thank you Jackie. I have some coconut oil and may try a tad of that with the capsacian...until I have the energy to go out and look for peppermint oil or maybe amazon. Unfortunately I am alone and the thought of going out is overwhelming.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login