Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beta blockers

Posted by Erin 
Beta blockers
March 09, 2019 07:01PM
I chose not to,take ambeta blocker,because resting pulse is sometimes 52. Do,all people with afib take beta blockers?
Re: Beta blockers
March 09, 2019 08:30PM
Nope, but anyone with afib that causes a rapid heart rate (over 100) needs to take a rate limiting drug to avoid heart failure. Beta blockers are the most common but there are also calcium channel blockers like diltiazem and verapamil, and in the past digoxin was used but it's no longer recommended for afib unless the person also has heart failure.

If you're afib is paroxysmal and you're not taking flecainide, you can take it as needed only during episodes if you want. But you shouldn't allow your heart to remain at rates over 100 for prolonged periods. That can cause heart enlargement and heart failure.
Re: Beta blockers
March 10, 2019 09:51AM
Thank you. I wish imhad known this. I was afraid to take metoprolol because of my low blood pressure and low pulse. Now it looks like i probably have heart failure. My bnp is 183. I have some shortness of breath and a lot of indigestion which i was convinced was the eliquis. I had bad flu for a week and then a five hour afib episode of around 100. Felt fine for a week and then after two doses of eliquis shortness of breath and bloating and indigestion. Went to er. They diagnosed heart failure on bnp of 183. 12'hours later i am hit with a stomach virus. i see cardiologist om march 18. I feel good except for some shortness of breath. No swelling in legs or feet. Just distended andomen after i eat or drink. No weight gain.....am losing because i eat less with breathing problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 10:01AM by Erin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login