Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aspirin for anti-coag?? confused

Posted by David 
Aspirin for anti-coag?? confused
March 05, 2019 11:14AM
Trying to stay up to date with the latest recommendations and protocols on anticoagulation.
I have a couple episodes a month lasting about 30 min, CHAD score of 0.
I have been taking an 80mg aspirin but I keep reading on the negatives of aspirin and articles like this that tell me to stay away from it:
[www.everydayhealth.com]

Should I be on RX thinners or is there a better natural alternative than aspirin , like Nattokenase, fish oil ect???

So confused!

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 11:15AM by David.
Re: Aspirin for anti-coag?? confused
March 05, 2019 12:48PM
With two 30-minute episodes per month and a CHADS 0, I wouldn't take anything. Aspirin isn't a benign drug.
March 05, 2019 01:25PM
Nattokinase is far better for you than nothing. Get any brand with this trade mark NSK-SD
Also check this link [www.smart-publications.com]
March 05, 2019 04:04PM
Carey
With two 30-minute episodes per month and a CHADS 0, I wouldn't take anything. Aspirin isn't a benign drug.

At my first (and only) visit with the EP, he told me to stop taking Eliquis and start the aspirin 80mg..
March 05, 2019 05:18PM
Thanks! I still freak out if I am not taking anything when I get bouts of Afib. My EP now guy says take aspirin but like Carey said it is not benign.
Mt first cardiologist says that if you have Afib, no matter if you get a few small episodes per year you should be on RX thinners.
Agghh!
March 05, 2019 05:34PM
I should have added that he also told me that if I did have an episode, to take an Eliquis. He said it will take affect in 2 hours.
March 05, 2019 05:37PM
Does anyone on this forum still use aspirin?
March 05, 2019 06:21PM
Did he also tell you how long after the episode to continue taking it? When I was using Eliquis on a PIP basis, my EP said it would be a good idea to continue it for a week after the episode ends.
March 05, 2019 06:56PM
Carey
Did he also tell you how long after the episode to continue taking it? When I was using Eliquis on a PIP basis, my EP said it would be a good idea to continue it for a week after the episode ends.

He did not. But I think your EP is right and that's what I would do. Thanks!
March 05, 2019 07:49PM
David:

I do take a 80mg. aspirin pretty much every day, I had a problem with a blood thinner (Coumadin) couldn't take it, never tried these new ones, don't see where they would be different for me. I know all the things they say about aspirin but I feel for me it is better than nothing, I also have had a problem with Natto (gives me aura migraines) so I am limited in what I take. I have had episodes of AF for 20 years, I haven't taken aspirin all that time more so the last few years and I am still here.

Liz
March 05, 2019 09:45PM
David
Does anyone on this forum still use aspirin?[/quote

I took Eliquis for 3 months. Then last week the EP told me to stop and take an 80mg aspirin.
March 05, 2019 09:47PM
Elizabeth
David:

I do take a 80mg. aspirin pretty much every day, I had a problem with a blood thinner (Coumadin) couldn't take it, never tried these new ones, don't see where they would be different for me. I know all the things they say about aspirin but I feel for me it is better than nothing, I also have had a problem with Natto (gives me aura migraines) so I am limited in what I take. I have had episodes of AF for 20 years, I haven't taken aspirin all that time more so the last few years and I am still here.

Liz

Liz. Forgive me. I should know this but do you manage your Afib with medicine and lifestyle or have you had an ablation?
March 06, 2019 12:14AM
Kate

Liz. Forgive me. I should know this but do you manage your Afib with medicine and lifestyle or have you had an ablation?

I have never had an ablation, I take 1 tab. (150mg.) of Propafenone at night before bedtime as I am vagal and get my episodes at night or very early in the morning. I do get episodes sometimes once a month or in the summer I can go a lot longer between episodes. My heart rate doesn't go real high usually in the 80s or low 90s so it isn't so bad. I do take more Propafenone when I get an episode. I take Magnesium every day, zinc, vit. C, a B complex which I think helps. I also got AF because of being Hyper from too much Thyroid meds., so there was a reason for it. I have a large garden, berries and fruit trees, I can and freeze and store my produce so perhaps that helps.

Liz
March 06, 2019 08:43AM
Elizabeth
Kate

I have never had an ablation, I take 1 tab. (150mg.) of Propafenone at night before bedtime as I am vagal and get my episodes at night or very early in the morning. I do get episodes sometimes once a month or in the summer I can go a lot longer between episodes. My heart rate doesn't go real high usually in the 80s or low 90s so it isn't so bad. I do take more Propafenone when I get an episode. I take Magnesium every day, zinc, vit. C, a B complex which I think helps. I also got AF because of being Hyper from too much Thyroid meds., so there was a reason for it. I have a large garden, berries and fruit trees, I can and freeze and store my produce so perhaps that helps.

Liz

I'm sure your own garden does help with minerals, etc. and it certainly does taste better! My parents had 2 gardens when I was growing up. They would make us kids pick beans, pull weeds, etc. and we hated it winking smiley. I had no idea how good we had it and would give anything for those times again!
March 07, 2019 11:25AM
interesting about taking Eliquis PIP. Seems to me that on my recent refill some of the info on the warning label has changed. Seems to focus more on stopping it causing strokes. In other words we know if we stop that we are back to square one re danger of a stroke when in a-fib but seems to state that just stopping Eliquis can cause a stroke just by having been on it =0:
March 07, 2019 12:21PM
anneh
interesting about taking Eliquis PIP. Seems to me that on my recent refill some of the info on the warning label has changed. Seems to focus more on stopping it causing strokes. In other words we know if we stop that we are back to square one re danger of a stroke when in a-fib but seems to state that just stopping Eliquis can cause a stroke just by having been on it =0:

So a person's risk of stroke is higher if they take Eliquis and then go off of it than if they had never taken it at all?

From what I have read, it is out if your system completely by 24 hours or so, do why would your risk be higher?
Joe
March 07, 2019 05:27PM
Isn't the half life of Eliquis 12 hours? You can work it out how long it takes to completely leave the system.
It's confusing if the 12 hours is indeed the case because they recommend to take one every 12 hours. This would ramp up the level of the drug in the system?
So, i hope Kate has the right info.
March 07, 2019 06:01PM
Joe
Isn't the half life of Eliquis 12 hours? You can work it out how long it takes to completely leave the system.
It's confusing if the 12 hours is indeed the case because they recommend to take one every 12 hours. This would ramp up the level of the drug in the system?
So, i hope Kate has the right info.

This us what I read:
It begins to reduce blood clotting within a few hours after taking the first dose. If you stop taking Eliquis® ( apixaban) , its effect on clotting begins to wear off within 24 hours for most people.

My ? was why a person stopping it has a higher stroke risk?
March 07, 2019 09:02PM
katesshadow

They don't have a higher risk of stroke than they did before taking the anticoagulant. They simply lose the protection and return to the risk level they had before.
March 08, 2019 09:49AM
Carey

They don't have a higher risk of stroke than they did before taking the anticoagulant. They simply lose the protection and return to the risk level they had before.
a

Well, that's what I thought 😄But the post above said otherwise "In other words we know if we stop that we are back to square one re danger of a stroke when in a-fib but seems to state that just stopping Eliquis can cause a stroke just by having been on it =0:"

Just wanted clarification. Thank you!
March 08, 2019 12:07PM
An very old and good friend of mine is a surgeon. So was his dad, and all his family are other types of doctors. I rely on them for unfiltered advice on anything medical, from parking tips to finding a thoracic surgeon for an open heart procedure. (Both of those tips were great honestly.)

He said, "They obviously let people believe that stopping Eliquis makes it more likely for you to have a stroke because it's a really profitable drug."

I agree with Carey's assessment, patients just lose the protective nature of having it in their system.

As an aside, it's been almost four decades of hearing this highly successful family of professionals go on about how our systems are mostly too complex to understand, how there's no effort to help us (patients) understand, and keeping fear a part of the equation is really good for business. It makes me wonder a lot.
March 13, 2019 12:13PM
David
Does anyone on this forum still use aspirin?

I take 83 mg aspirin daily per Natale's recommendation.
Had an ablation in March 2011......the aspirin is the only medication I take since the procedure

Steve
Spring, Tx.
March 13, 2019 12:17PM
Typo.....81 mg not 83 mg

s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login