Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nattokinase and Sensitive Stomach?

Posted by ln108 
Nattokinase and Sensitive Stomach?
February 23, 2019 02:31PM
Friends,

These days I have a pretty sensitive stomach, with borderline gastritis--perhaps triggered by the baby aspirin I am taking post-Watchman. I am wondering how taking nattokinase gel capsules (100 Mg,, NSK-SD, 2000 FU) might affect my tummy. I'm really nervous about aggravating things. I have taken NutriCology Nattozyme in the past, without problems, but nowadays I'm quite cautious . . .

Is nattokinase a proteolytic enzyme, or otherwise prone to further irritate an inflamed stomach? I note that KAL makes a 100mg, 2000FU cap that is enteric coated--perhaps for this reason> It's well-reviewed by ConsumerLabs.com, but not NSK-SD and relatively expensive.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of the kind folks on this forum.

--Lance
Joe
Re: Nattokinase and Sensitive Stomach?
February 23, 2019 04:42PM
Inflamed stomach - have you tried Slippery Elm Bark powder in a glass of warm water prior to meals?
February 23, 2019 04:48PM
Joe
Inflamed stomach - have you tried Slippery Elm Bark powder in a glass of warm water prior to meals?

No, I've been using deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), which has not really helped much. I'll give slippery elm a try. Thanks, Joe, for the tip.

--Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2019 04:49PM by ln108.
February 24, 2019 01:23AM
I would stay with NSK-SD product
February 24, 2019 08:32AM
Hello Lance - Nattokinase is classified as a fibrinolytic enzyme....(sometimes called a thrombolytic enzyme in studies).

But since you are taking the baby aspirin... I'd want to rule out any potentiated effects from the aspirin. If you are due to discontinue the aspirin, then most likely, the stomach issues will clear up and the NK will be fine.

My experience with using NK for well over 10 years with regard to side effects is that I don't recall having any and definitely no gastric issues.

I have always used the NSK-SD(R) patented formulation by Japan BioScience and there are two brands that use that version - Source Natural or Allergy Research Group/Nutricology... (although I did try the CardioKinase for a short while but soon after, had to quit due to starting Eliquis.)

Thanks to Colindo of our forum, as he clarified that the CardioKinase was not the true NSK-SD variety...so a caveat to readers on that issue.

Jackie
February 24, 2019 02:22PM
Thanks, Jackie, as always. This is very helpful.

Jackie
But since you are taking the baby aspirin... I'd want to rule out any potentiated effects from the aspirin. If you are due to discontinue the aspirin, then most likely, the stomach issues will clear up and the NK will be fine.

My experience with using NK for well over 10 years with regard to side effects is that I don't recall having any and definitely no gastric issues

--Lance
February 25, 2019 01:21AM
Lance,

Like Jackie said, I've never had any GI issues related to Nattokinase either while taking it over a decade. Regarding Slippery Elm,. some folks appear to get benefit from it for GI Issues, but a smaller but not insignificant number, including yours truly, have an allergic reaction to this herb. The first side effects I got was from taking Slippery Elm lozenges for a sore throat, but the Slippery Elm added an irritating additional sensation in my throat on top of the typical symptoms of an already sore throat. I experimented several more times with the herb, and had the exact same irritating reaction before removing Slippery Elm from my tool kit.

If you do have an allergic reaction to Slippery Elm, the good thing is that you should notice it right away and can stop it. I have not heard any reports that Slippery Elm can have a more serious reaction, so any issues one might possibly have with it should be self-limiting.

Best wishes,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 11:33AM by Shannon.
February 25, 2019 11:15AM
Thanks, Shannon. Good advice, as per usual!

--Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login