Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exa test vs RBC Magnesium

Posted by johnnyS 
Exa test vs RBC Magnesium
February 19, 2019 04:41PM
Just an update here regarding my Exa test vs RBC labs. As I posted earlier the only thing that has kept my ectopic beats quiet was taking daily high dosages of magnesium (1500mg elemental per day) I have healthy kidneys. I stopped using magnesium a few times and ectopics return within a week as I was afraid to continue given the high RBC blood labs in the ranges between 7.8 and 7.0. I finally did the exa test and I have to say it looks more accurate than RBC which always showed extremely high number. Exa test showed my magnesium at 38.7. And all of the other electrolyte were in the range as well as other ratios.

My question is this, how much of the elemental malate 1500mg is actually being absorbed daily?

Anyone taking this much besides George, which seems to work for him?

See exa test report below

[www.dropbox.com]
Re: Exa test vs RBC Magnesium
February 19, 2019 06:12PM
As an aside, how much does Exatest cost these days?
February 19, 2019 06:19PM
I paid around $295 I believe since it was self pay. Through insurance its around $600
February 19, 2019 07:34PM
johnnyS
Exa test showed my magnesium at 38.7. /quote]

Johnny - To be clear, the Exatest results were *without* experiencing ectopic beats, right?

Thanks very much for posting.
February 19, 2019 07:45PM
MadMax

Exa test showed my magnesium at 38.7. /quote]

Johnny - To be clear, the Exatest results were *without* experiencing ectopic beats, right?

Thanks very much for posting.

Yep, zero ectopic beats as I am back on 1500mg Malate by jigsaw slow release. I’m assuming some of us waste magnesium faster but I also wonder how much absorption is there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 07:48PM by johnnyS.
February 19, 2019 07:56PM
johnnyS

Yep, zero ectopic beats as I am back on 1500mg Malate by jigsaw slow release. I’m assuming some of us waste magnesium faster but I also wonder how much absorption is there?

That's good to know and I'm glad you're feeling good.

I think every person is a complex system and we all have weak links in the operation, so I agree that some waste more of certain elements that others.

I've had the same question as you about absorption, I suppose you could only start to tell if you got multiple exatests with strictly controlled recordings of what you did. I'm not sure there's any other way to tell.

I'm arranging (or at least trying to) my exatest with my doctor now - it's amazing that if it's not something that the "lab downstairs" does, it doesn't exist nor could it have any value.
February 19, 2019 08:22PM
RBC labs just aren't reliable imho since my first lab was the highest 7.8 of the four repeats and that was initially done after 3 months of supplementation so I knew it was wrong. Last one was 7.0 almost a year later so I was worried a bit but now exa test confirmed my theory.

Good luck on getting your Doctor involved. I couldn't find anyone willing to do it in the State of Idaho, not my GP or any EP. I called Exa test and explained my situation and then I found out that they do make exceptions if you hold a Phd or equivalent which I do so I ended up getting it shipped to my home.
February 20, 2019 04:33AM
When I had an Exatest in 2010 the results were pretty grim at 31.8 for Mg and 7.0 for Ca (reference range 3-5).

My doc here in the UK indulged me in MgSO4 IM injections (albeit only once-weekly) for 20 weeks in addition to which I supplemented heavily with Mg to bowel tolerance and still no let-up in ectopics. My own AF is familial on my mother's side and I'm convinced that the weak link genetically is Calcium handling by the cell membrane walls - as in too much Ca in (cardiac cells in an over-excited state) and not enough Mg (to relax things as required). Question is, if that's genetically how your system is, then what amount of supplementing will make any difference.

Might be tempted to have another Exatest at some point.

Good look with your own endeavour guys.
February 20, 2019 10:45AM
MWCF-

I hope you get your levels sorted. Some forum members here report having large dosages before they start responding, so you might look into that.

Maybe record your efforts and compare against a test for your answer.

I spent a lot of time over there recently, I had a house for a while too. Great place.
February 21, 2019 12:54AM
I haven’t had any progress with ectopics until I started dividing my doses of magnesium four times a day 300-400mg each time. You also want to stay away from cheap stuff like capsules which dissolve quickly and don’t last long. Stay away from sugar, too much carbs and any calcium rich foods as they all compete with absorption against magnesium. Once I figured that out it was working perfectly until I started vitamin D3 supplements which I found out increase your calcium and my labs confirmed that 3 different times so I dropped the vitamin d3 and resumed my magnesium with no problem. I guess I’ll just continue same dosage and see again in a few month if I can reduce it.

I wonder him much genes have to do with electrolytes, wouldn’t they find a link by now? Interesting theory, but for those who were successfully ablated I assume then magnesium or calcium doesn’t play much effect any longer.

mwcf
When I had an Exatest in 2010 the results were pretty grim at 31.8 for Mg and 7.0 for Ca (reference range 3-5).

My doc here in the UK indulged me in MgSO4 IM injections (albeit only once-weekly) for 20 weeks in addition to which I supplemented heavily with Mg to bowel tolerance and still no let-up in ectopics. My own AF is familial on my mother's side and I'm convinced that the weak link genetically is Calcium handling by the cell membrane walls - as in too much Ca in (cardiac cells in an over-excited state) and not enough Mg (to relax things as required). Question is, if that's genetically how your system is, then what amount of supplementing will make any difference.

Might be tempted to have another Exatest at some point.

Good look with your own endeavour guys.
February 21, 2019 03:54AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

"but for those who were successfully ablated I assume then magnesium or calcium doesn’t play much effect any longer. "

The ablation hopefully cures AF as a symptom but the problem itself remains.
February 21, 2019 07:42AM
johnnyS
Good luck on getting your Doctor involved. I couldn't find anyone willing to do it in the State of Idaho, not my GP or any EP. I called Exa test and explained my situation and then I found out that they do make exceptions if you hold a Phd or equivalent which I do so I ended up getting it shipped to my home.

Johnny - My GP said he'd look into it, but I'm not that hopeful. Exatest said they can't recommend doctors, but they can have dentists, chiropractors, and functional doctors request it.

I don't have a PhD, but I have photoshop skills. Maybe I cant print up a certificate and get my test . . . .
February 21, 2019 07:47AM
johnnyS

Sorry John, I'm new to this and have another question - why malate and not glycinate? I've tried the Albion glycinate in capsules in the last few weeks and it's worked well, but I'm not at a full solution yet.

1500 mg = 15 (100mg) pills throughout the day, four times a day? Is that correct?

Thank you.
February 21, 2019 08:38AM
I take 3-4 pills depending on how I feel every four hours four times a day. You need to count elemental magnesium intake and not overall grams, which are two different things. I had some digestive issues and Malate is basically malic acid which is good for the digestive system. Otherwise both work well just make sure it’s by Albion.

MadMax

Sorry John, I'm new to this and have another question - why malate and not glycinate? I've tried the Albion glycinate in capsules in the last few weeks and it's worked well, but I'm not at a full solution yet.

1500 mg = 15 (100mg) pills throughout the day, four times a day? Is that correct?

Thank you.
February 21, 2019 09:17AM
johnnyS
I take 3-4 pills depending on how I feel every four hours four times a day. You need to count elemental magnesium intake and not overall grams, which are two different things. I had some digestive issues and Malate is basically malic acid which is good for the digestive system. Otherwise both work well just make sure it’s by Albion.

Thank you John. I found the Jigsaw MRT Magnesium on Amazon. I assume that's what you've been taking or something similar. I'm keen to try it out now because I feel great after taking my current pills, but the effect wears off, sometimes rapidly.

I don't have any digestive issues, and I've not dosed to bowel intolerance (yet) but I can still tell it helps with ectopics.

Thank you again.
February 21, 2019 09:27AM
What are the differences between the Jigsaw mag and this one:

[www.amazon.com]
February 21, 2019 09:49AM
katesshadow
What are the differences between the Jigsaw mag and this one:

[www.amazon.com]

Looks like that one isn't slow-release, from what I can tell.
February 21, 2019 12:18PM
I take 1.6-1.8 grams of Doctors Best every day. I'm intrigued by the reference to malate magnesium. Is this a better option for absorbing with less intestinal turmoil?
February 21, 2019 02:21PM
Every other form of magnesium will give me stomach issues if I go over 1000mg a day, except of course the Jigsaw malate which I have been taking now for over 6 months. Max I took was around 2000mg for a month and then went down to 1500mg. I'll probably try and go down to 1000mg in a month and see if it still works. The difference with Jigsaw which I notice is that it lasts a lot longer and as a result I can take less.

steve n.
I take 1.6-1.8 grams of Doctors Best every day. I'm intrigued by the reference to malate magnesium. Is this a better option for absorbing with less intestinal turmoil?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 05:32PM by johnnyS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login