Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Long time away
February 19, 2019 04:23PM
Dear Friends,

I got invaluable help from this site when my atrial fibrillation progressed rapidly in 2007. I subsequently had an ablation at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, with a follow-up a year later.

For the past 10 years I have had off and on episodes, always triggered by swallowing solid foods. The phenomenon is rare, by my research, with only about 50 reported cases. It has been a nuisance but, thankfully, I've never had to be converted or take medication. My longest episodes are 10-12 hours and always resolve naturally. Magnesium is a variable. I take 1.6 - 1.8 grams daily (Doctor's Best) with reasonable bowel tolerance, as I've been doing it for a long time. Overall, the burden has neither increased nor decreased, although I've had several stretches of nearly a year with no episodes, but some ectopic flurries. I also take daily Taurine and am careful to manage Potassium intake.

Anyway, I love this forum and hope I can get a referral for an EP in my new community, Boulder, CO. I plan no immediate change in treatment, but I'd like a resource nearby. I also think a curious EP would find my case intriguing, as the trigger is so specific, and there are many other factors that I can report in great detail over a long period of time.

Sorry for the length of the message . . . Anyone know a great EP in the Boulder area?

Steve Nelson
Re: Long time away
February 21, 2019 04:23PM
steve n.

Anyway, I love this forum and hope I can get a referral for an EP in my new community, Boulder, CO. I plan no immediate change in treatment, but I'd like a resource nearby. I also think a curious EP would find my case intriguing, as the trigger is so specific, and there are many other factors that I can report in great detail over a long period of time.

Sorry for the length of the message . . . Anyone know a great EP in the Boulder area?

Steve Nelson

Steve,

I live about 20 miles south of you. I referred a friend to Dr. Natale who did an ablation for his ventricular arrhythmia that 3 local EP's could not figure out (they thought, incorrectly, he had vfib and had him wearing a shocker vest). They suggested he use Wendy Tzou <[www.uchealth.org] at UC Health. My friend said Natale had been trying to recruit her. I have no personal experience, but my friend thought she was great.

Not right in Boulder, but might be worth the drive. My Boulder friend isn't happy with the local EP's.

George
February 21, 2019 09:22PM
Great to hear from you again Steve!

As for a Boulder EP, I also second George’s suggestion and strongly endorse Dr. Wendy Tzou at Univ. of Colorado Medical Center in Denver, She is very sharp and is a close colleague of Dr Natale’s, and friend of mine as well. Dr. Tzou will give you very sound guidance. Great to hear from you Steve and stay in touch!

Be well,
Shannon
February 21, 2019 09:27PM
GeorgeN

Steve Nelson

Steve,

I live about 20 miles south of you. I referred a friend to Dr. Natale who did an ablation for his ventricular arrhythmia that 3 local EP's could not figure out (they thought, incorrectly, he had vfib and had him wearing a shocker vest). Natale suggested he use Wendy Tzou <[www.uchealth.org] at UC Health. My friend said Natale had been trying to recruit her. I have no personal experience, but my friend thought she was great.

Not right in Boulder, but might be worth the drive. My Boulder friend isn't happy with the local EP's.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 10:45PM by GeorgeN.
February 21, 2019 10:01PM
Steve ... Wendy Tzou will be perfect as the curious and open-minded EP you are looking for!

PS we are having mostly intermittent power outages tonight due to large snow storm in Northern AZ, including Sedona.

Am not sure if this message is getting sent at the moment?

Shannon
February 22, 2019 06:21PM
Thanks, George and Shannon!

Really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful responses. I had independently focused on Wendy Tzou! I searched every EP in the Denver/Boulder and guessed that her San Francisco time included brushes with Natale, and that was endorsement enough for me. Is that where their paths crossed?

I hope I can self-refer, as I'd like to visit with her in the coming weeks and share my odd case and contemplate strategies.

Shannnon, have you any experience with the Jigsaw malate magnesium? It's costly, but the absorption and easy-on-the-gut claims are appealing, now that I'm taking so much.

Cheers,

Steve
February 22, 2019 06:29PM
Steve,

Send me your contact info plus DOB etc and I will call Wendy and let her know you’d like to come see her..

Cheers!
Shannon
February 22, 2019 06:53PM
Shannon,

You are a marvel! Address:

I am very grateful . .. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2019 03:19AM by Shannon.
February 23, 2019 03:18AM
My pleasure Steve,

Will put a call into Dr Tzou this weekend & next week.

Also, I’ve removed your contact info from your post above as that is seen by everyone when posted on the forum.

Cheers!
Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login