Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Off to Austin on Tuesday...

Posted by kbog 
Off to Austin on Tuesday...
February 15, 2019 03:52PM
I'm quitting flecainide tomorrow in preparation for afib ablation next Thursday at TCAI with Dr. Natale. I'm very optimistic about the eventual outcome, but not sure what these next couple of days off of AARs will bring. (I'm sure it will all be fine.)

Wish me luck, please, and if you have any tips or advice to share about the one-trip TCAI experience, feel free to send them my way. I'm sure I'll think of little else for the next several days!

Karen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 03:52PM by kbog.
Re: Off to Austin on Tuesday...
February 15, 2019 03:54PM
I wish you the best !
February 15, 2019 04:34PM
Best of luck to you. The atmosphere at TCA is outstanding and you will be fine. Just relax and take it all in.
February 15, 2019 04:42PM
I was as worried as hell about coming off Flec for 5 days pre-ablation (and that after having taken it daily for ten years....) and no problems at all.
February 15, 2019 05:24PM
Missed the part about the ARR. I had been put on Ticosyn leading up to my ablation last ast year at TCA as the flecanide had stopped working and the Ticosyn wasn’t working a whole lot better. I actually stopped the Ticosyn a few days earlier than they had required me to and Things really settled down. My heart stayed in rhythm the entire time leading up to my ablation.

Like I said just relax and take it all in. The people there are really upbeat and comforting and it’s very contagious. You are going to be in the best hands possible.
February 15, 2019 05:25PM
You won’t have any problem coming off the FLEC over 5 days Karen. Keep in mind you will have a gradually decreasing level in your body these last few days before your ABL and the vast majority don’t have any real recurrence during this period as it is. And in the outside chance that you do, it’s really no big deal at all ... just consider it a ‘friendly’ reminder of why you are going through this process to begin with! 👍

Be well,
Shannon
February 15, 2019 09:50PM
Easy to say, but try and relax and never lose sight you are in the most capable hands at a phenomenal facility in a great city. The staff are just incredible people. Remember to get help lifting your carry-on luggage on the way home, and take it easy for the first week. Good luck to you.
February 16, 2019 08:07AM
Good luck on your procedure and let us know how it goes.
February 16, 2019 10:53AM
Karen. I second the comments about taking comfort knowing that you are in the most capable hands and a very wonderful facility there in Austin, TX. This will be a turning point 'forward' in a very positive direction for you.
Wishing you the very best next Thursday.

Jackie
February 16, 2019 02:16PM
Best wishes. Let us know how you are.
February 17, 2019 07:42AM
Thank you all for the good wishes, tips, and reassurance! I’m so happy to have found this source of experience, knowledge, advice, and support.

Off flec entirely as of yesterday noon. I’ve had a few periods of more ectopics (probably PACs) than normal and a few short runs of SVT, but am hanging in there fine. Kids/family/life is keeping me busy. Trying to leave the house clean and have a few things to eat in the refrigerator when we get back, and make sure homework and piano practice are in good shape so they don’t have to play catch-up too much.

I will definitely let you all know how it goes. I expect good things!

Karen
February 17, 2019 10:11AM
Worst case you get a touch with of “rebound” arrhythmia. In the context of an ablation, that’s almost a good thing. It’s like the little misbehaving spots in your atria are standing up and begging to be burned. And they will be.

Good luck, safe trip, and let us know how it went once things settle!
February 17, 2019 12:01PM
If you haven't finalized your lodging. My wife booked a Airbnb 2 bedroom condo for 6 nights at $120 a night walking distance to St David's. Something maybe to look into, help make your stay more comfortable. Condo looks really nice pool, secured entry etc.
February 18, 2019 04:33PM
Happy travels. As everyone says, you're in good hands. If you're flying, you can ask for wheelchair service on the return trip if you like. Fun!

All best wishes,

--Lance
Anonymous User
February 19, 2019 03:19PM
Very interested that it’s walking distance to St. David’s. Can you ask her to post the link?
February 19, 2019 06:08PM
Just go to airbnb.com and plug in St. David's address. There are a bunch within walking distance, though I bet they're often booked since it's so close to UT.
February 21, 2019 10:05PM
Hope everything went well for you today.
February 26, 2019 08:37PM
Thank you - everything has gone well so far. I’ll write a post at some point to share my experience... for now I’m enjoying this week of taking it easy and reading lots of books while I have license to loaf. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login