Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well it was going so well

Posted by John S 
Well it was going so well
February 07, 2019 11:48AM
It’s been a while since I last posted on here.
6 years ago I had disastrous attempt at an ablation in the UK. The ablation was aborted while they concentrated on saving my life. Anyway thats all in the past and I have been NSR virtually all that time on a daily medication regime of 2.5mg Bisoprolol and 2 x 50mg Flecainide. I was also taking Taurine, Omega 3 and Vitamin D. As I said previously, all was well for 6 + years.
Turning 65 of age my doctors decide to put me on 60mg Edoxaban anticoagulant. I also felt a month before my heart was “unsettled” so with my GP’s agreement I increased my Flecainide to 2 x 100 mg daily.
Last October, December, January, and today, my heart goes in AF for about 2 hours, then progresses to fast atrial flutter (110-130bpm). Thankfully to date after less than a day it settles down to NSR. However today I am still waiting here with fingers crossed as it’s now 21 hours.
Interestingly my doctor/consultant after I had a routine 24hour monitor recently decided that I didn’t need to take my Flecainide. Currently I am still taking it, as I have insisted on a second opinion and for him to substantiate his decision.
When I last posted on here I asked the question “is it destined to get worse?” Have I had my answer? I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this, and in particular the doctor/consultant proposal to stop my Flecainide.
I normally take myself off to A&E after it drags on, however after a visit to my local hospital this afternoon, I wasn’t keen on waiting 5+ hours !!!
Re: Well it was going so well
February 22, 2019 12:48AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles John S,

Can you give a few more details on what happened in your aborted ablation in the UK? That might shed some added light.
n
And from your recent history it would indeed appear you may well be experiencing an increased progression of your underlying atrial arrhythmia! This often happens over time.
Your docs decision to want to stop your FLEC, might be due to his concern over a possible pro-arrhythmic flutter from the FLEC dosing. It is significantly less likely for you to get a pro-arrhythmic flutter while take daily consistent doses of FLECKO, unlike with PIP FLEC dosing in which a FLEC induced Flutter is more likely to occur but still is not too common.

If the flutter lasts and doesn't terminate fairly soon, they call your doc about setting up an ECV.. I would not want to stay in a very symptomatic flutter indefinitely.

Best wishes.
Shannon
Re: Well it was going so well
March 17, 2019 03:36PM
I can now give an update on this ........ finally.
I stayed in hospital for a number of days and finally had cardioversion and left hospital in NSR on the 12th February 2019.
I dropped my Omega 3, I did wonder if the combination of Omega 3 and anticoagulant should be avoided.
I had an overseas holiday the following week with a short 4 hour flight. Away for one week only and totally alcohol free and I was in NSR all this time.
I had a follow up cardiologist appointment last week on the 9th March where I suggested I went back to 2 x 50mg FLEC and 2.5mg Bisoprolol.
All this time I was in NSR. The reduction in FLEC did make me feel much better by the way.
Last night 17th March I went into AFib. I took another 100mg of FLEC and converted in less than 2 hours. Good I suppose. I did not have Aflutter at all, the recent episodes they all went into Aflutter as the AFib subsided.
As I write this post all is well.

At my cardio appointment with my cardiologist a Professor Rider who I thought was excellent I should add, did suggest I could try Sotolol instead of Bisoprolol, maintaining my dosage of Flecainide. Does anyone have any experience of this combination?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login