Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eliquis and fish oils

Posted by whitehaven 
Eliquis and fish oils
February 06, 2019 07:40PM
After recently being put on Eliquis, 2 times a day, I asked the cardiologist if I could continue taking fish oils, vit. E, turmeric, etc.

His response was to discontinue anything that tends to thin the blood. Is there anyone out there that is currently on Eliquis and

combining with fish oils etc?
Re: Eliquis and fish oils
February 06, 2019 08:23PM
Don't know anyone doing that, White.

But your doc's advice makes a lot of sense to me.

/L
February 06, 2019 09:19PM
I've been combining fish oil and Eliquis for years. Multiple EPs have known this and have no problem with it. Unless you're taking massive quantities of fish oil it shouldn't be an issue. The same is true for tumeric. But I'd be more cautious with the vitamin E. It has a stronger enhancing effect on Eliquis. I would either stop it or reduce the dosage to a minimum.
February 06, 2019 10:13PM
I've been taking fish oil along with Eliquis for at least 5 years w/o incident. I don't bleed a lot when I've had a cut or anything, so I assume it's OK.

Hoping to get off the Eliquis, but we'll see....Barb
Joe
February 06, 2019 11:16PM
I've been taking fish oil (1g) with eliquis for the last 6 months. Also tumeric, powdered (1/4 teasp a few times a week) and fresh (about 5mm) almost every day. I take 400 i.u. of E 1x/day. But i've stopped eating raw garlic.
February 08, 2019 12:41AM
Have been taking tumeric along with my eliquis with the approval of my ep.
February 08, 2019 03:08PM
Whitehaven - As we always indicate, everyone is different with need for and response to supplements.
This is especially important when using anticoagulants.

My history is that when I began using Eliquis 5 years ago; and then, for the last 3, have been using half-dose of Eliquis, I mindfully and gradually re-introduced some of the nutrients I have relied upon for years… which are similar to those you’ve questioned.

I continue to take Curcumin but use it every other day. I lowered the dose of liquid Omega 3 fish oils to capsules that have a higher DHA content to take advantage of those benefits vs the EPA component.

Same with Vitamin E… I changed exclusively to the Annatto tocotrienol form of Vitamin E because of the increased benefits that includes protecting cell membranes and LDL from oxidative stress that results in lipid peroxidation… along with several other benefits.

As always, I am very mindful of signs or symptoms of bleeding or excessive bruising… and outside of the nosebleed incident a few years ago, I have no bleeding problems. Once I had the nasal capillary cauterized, all is good in that area and I do make sure I keep my nasal passages lubricated at night during the winter so those fragile tissues don’t dry out. Bleeding from minor cuts or scrapes stops in times just slightly longer than prior to Eliquis.

Jackie
February 11, 2019 11:41AM
for what it is worth they gave me omega 3 while in the hospital when i was going on to dofetilide and xeralto. (they gave it to me b/c i said i took it at home...)
February 25, 2019 01:12AM
I've been taking fish oil since 2004, four capsules a day. And I've been taking Xarelto since it came out. Still here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login