Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Giving Blood

Posted by smackman 
Giving Blood
February 05, 2019 11:13AM
Considering I stopped my Eliquis for 24 hours, could I give blood? I had one stent from early 2012. Just looking to help a friend. I truly believe Dr. Natale would approve being off Eliquis 24 hours. I had to be off 2 days for a colonoscopy 3 years ago.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Re: Giving Blood
February 05, 2019 11:42AM
I believe you would need to stop for three days (five half lives) but that's a question for the blood donation center.
February 07, 2019 02:52AM
They wont let me give here in the UK with a history of AF.
February 07, 2019 11:10AM
Carey
I believe you would need to stop for three days (five half lives) but that's a question for the blood donation center.
The facility I checked with Lifeshare said 2 days. I am still trying to decide if I should gamble like this.
February 07, 2019 04:47PM
mwcf

Giving blood never caused me any afib issues, but I'm not on OAC. I never mentioned it to the staff and wasn't on any other meds either (if I'd taken flec before giving, they may not have been happy).

George
February 07, 2019 04:53PM
Was your LAA isolated in an ablation? If so, I absolutely wouldn't stop the Eliquis. If not, then what's your CHADS-Vasc score? If it's less than 3 it's probably not a big risk, but if it's 3 or higher I wouldn't do it.
February 08, 2019 08:10AM
Carey
Was your LAA isolated in an ablation? If so, I absolutely wouldn't stop the Eliquis. If not, then what's your CHADS-Vasc score? If it's less than 3 it's probably not a big risk, but if it's 3 or higher I wouldn't do it.
LAA was isolated. The TEE showed excellent velocity but no A Wave. I am on 2.5 mg Eliquis 2x a day because of no A Wave.

What is someone like me suppose to do when I need a colonoscopy? Or a Prostrate Biopsy for Cancer? Neither can be done without being off blood thinners. My Daddy who was I permanentl AFIB had to have a lung biopsy done to check for cancer. He had to stop 20 mg of daily Xarelto for 3 days. His Cardiologist was not happy but what do you do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 08:11AM by smackman.
February 08, 2019 01:49PM
I would not stop the Eliquis just to give blood unless you get Natale's blessing first.

If you have to stop it for a medical procedure, Natale's office can give your doctor a bridging protocol. They switch you to heparin for a few days because heparin has a really short half life (1 hour), so the surgeon or whoever's doing the procedure can stop it for the absolute minimum amount of time actually required.
February 08, 2019 03:17PM
Smackman - I'm not sure of this, but I recall someone indicating that because they were taking other Rx meds - not an anticoagulant - they had to present a list of the prescriptions for approval to give blood. As I recall, you take other meds so it may be a mute point for you re: the anticoagulant. ? Jackie
February 09, 2019 03:18AM
Jackie
Smackman - I'm not sure of this, but I recall someone indicating that because they were taking other Rx meds - not an anticoagulant - they had to present a list of the prescriptions for approval to give blood. As I recall, you take other meds so it may be a mute point for you re: the anticoagulant. ? Jackie

My other meds would not prevent me from giving blood. I called 3 different places including The Red Cross. There are very few meds that would stop someone from giving 1 pint of blood including aspirin. Plasma is a different situation.
February 09, 2019 04:40AM
mwcf

Same in Belgium. I was used to give blood, but since I've had afib, my name has been deleted from the lists.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login