Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any Safe Decongestants?

Posted by greyhound gal 
Any Safe Decongestants?
February 03, 2019 05:16PM
I have terrible chest congestion from a cold and I want to know what is safe to take? My chest burns when I cough up the phlegm. I have just been drinking very warm water and tea to release the phlegm. I was reading on the internet that Mucinex which I used to use increases the heart rate and even read where is could trigger afib. I know I shouldn't take the meds with ephedrine but what is safe to take?
Re: Any Safe Decongestants?
February 03, 2019 05:20PM
I forgot to ask if the liquid expectorants are safe to use?
February 04, 2019 06:14PM
I realize this is too late to be helpful for your situation, but the high dose vitamin C in the form of Liposomal Vitamin C by LivOn Labs ... discussed in several previous posts... is extremely effective...when you take it at the first sign of any type early symptoms that are typical of the onset of cold or flu.

Here's some of the links which explains the dosing equivalencies versus regular vitamin C

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
February 04, 2019 06:49PM
Jackie do you mean Lipo-Spheric C on the LivOn website?
February 05, 2019 01:16AM
The Mucinex helps loosen the Phlegm. A Broncodilator drug like Albuterol in either pill form or inhaler would dilate the lung passages, and that should help to get the Phlegm out. I used to take alot of these types of Drugs. Whether or not they raise the HR is dose dependent. If it was me I would start at a low dose and just see if it did raise my HR, BP or cause Irregular Heart Beats like PAC's. For me I would have to take real high dose of these Drugs to put me at increased risk of AFIB.
February 05, 2019 08:27AM
Yes - Lipo-Spheric by LivOn Labs.
February 05, 2019 01:21PM
Just an anecdote...
Shortly after Xmas I had a cold and, in the middle of one night, I awoke with numerous ectopics and a hard time to breathe at a steady rhythm. I then just put some drops of eucalyptus essential oil on a handkerchief and began breathing through it. A couple minutes later, I was fine: peaceful breathing and NSR.

I'm used to treat a cold with essential oils (eucalyptus + ravintsara), but it was the first time I saw them having this effect on my HR.
February 06, 2019 10:19PM
Hypoxia will wreak havoc with ectopics. No surprise there.
February 09, 2019 12:51PM
I see the Lipo-Spheric is NOT soy free.
February 09, 2019 02:13PM
Yes but read the clarifications in the Q & A about the phospholipids derived from soy lecithin. I don't have a soy allergy but prefer to avoid soy consumption; however, I find no reactivity or adverse responses in the Lipo C. I'm not suggesting you experiment if you are sensitive or have an outright allergy.
Jackie

[www.livonlabs.com]

......and esp. this one farther down in the Q & A list:

Is there any soy protein in the Lypo Sphericâ„¢ products?

We use Essential Phospholipids (EPL), which are made from soy lecithin. Virtually all of the soy protein, which is of allergic concern to some individuals, is removed from the EPL during the extraction process. While we cannot guarantee our products do not contain trace amounts of soy protein, we routinely conduct DNA and Allergen testing on each product with an independent laboratory. To date, the laboratory has not been able to detect any amounts of soy protein in our products.

For more information on lecithin derived from soy, we recommend reading Section II. C. of the FDA's Guidance on Food Labeling, which can be found at
[www.fda.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login