Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has any Afibber used Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice or D-Limonene.

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Has any Afibber used Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice or D-Limonene.
January 28, 2019 10:42AM
Since my Ablation seven months ago every time I consider a supplement for other ailments my first thought is; could it affect the heart rhythm?

Ever since the operation (which is going well) I've had a problem with a lax Lower Oesophageal Sphincter. This has troubled me in the past but not as much as since the op.

I've ordered the two Supps I've mentioned but I'd like some reassurance on possible side effects re heart rhythm from anyone who has used them or has more knowledge than I've been able to find in my research.

Thanks

Sam
Re: Has any Afibber used Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice or D-Limonene.
January 28, 2019 11:00AM
Sam,

I'm eight years out from my Natale ablation.I've used both of those supplements, with zero discernible affect on my heart rhythm. They're safe in my experience.

Hope they help.

--Lance
January 28, 2019 08:22PM
Hi Sam..I found out about the benefits of DGL and melatonin watching a Dr.Oz tv segment on silent reflux. According to him, dgl is supposed to increase protective mucus for the esophagus while melatonin before bedtime helps "tighten up" the lower sphincter. I think both supplements, especially the melatonin have been helpful and I've had no bad side effects while taking them the last 6 months.
January 28, 2019 08:49PM
On the webmed site there are a lot of good things said about licorice. But also be aware that there are also some not so good things. I was always told not to take licorice because it raises heart rate, caffine does the same thing to me.

Heart disease: Licorice can cause the body to store water, and this can make congestive heart failure worse. Licorice can also increase the risk of irregular heartbeat. Don't consume licorice if you have heart disease.

www.webMD.com/vitamins/ai/

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 08:51PM by Elizabeth.
January 28, 2019 09:25PM
Regular licorice, yes. But not the deglycyrrhrizinated. God, I hate that word. It rivals Serbo-Croatian for lack of vowels. Let’s replace it with something simple, like “dee-gee”.
Sam
January 29, 2019 06:48AM
Thanks for the excellent replies folks.

Lance - always good to have a personal experience.

petras52. Very interesting on Melatonin. Nothing I googled brought this up but when I enter Melatonin for reflux and LES there are loads of mentions. Nearly all are very positive but one reflux forum member says it gave him Autoimmune disease. However he had used it continuously for a long time.

There is an interesting study at [www.ncbi.nim.nih.gov]. It sees no problem about long term use and suggests it could help even a person has autoimmune Thyroid problems - contrary to what other sites say.

Elizabeth - webMD is listing side effects of regular Licorice; very different.
January 29, 2019 05:44PM
Hi Sam - I've used DGL occasionally.... if, for some reason, I eat something that doesn't seem to 'sit' well. I've never noticed that there was any negative effects or any that have to do with stirring up palps or my heart in any way.
I've sent you a PM with an attachment discussing the properties of DGL that you may find useful.

Jackie
February 06, 2019 08:31PM
wolfpack
... God, I hate that word...Let’s replace it with something simple, like “dee-gee”.

That's funny!

And I agree.

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login