Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TEE Results

Posted by Josephkroussell 
TEE Results
January 21, 2019 04:56PM
Hi all - I've had 2 ablations with Dr Natale, (2 prior from local EP), that included isolation of my LAA. Have been blessed thus far after last ablation, ie in NSR except for the occasional ectopics. Received a call from Dr Natale's office that my recent TEE results would allow me to come off Eliquis and just take 81 mg of aspirin. I've been on blood thinners for the better part of 15 years. While i'm quite happy with the results, there is an anxiousness in my head about coming off Eliquis and risk having a stroke. Due to the cost of Eliquis (I unfortunately have a very high deductible insurance plan), I'm thinking of cutting in half my 5mg tab and taking 2.5 mg BID (instead of the aspirin) to be on the safe side (and also cut my eliquis costs in half as well). Does this make sense? Many thanks, Joe
Joe
Re: TEE Results
January 21, 2019 05:04PM
I'd check that with the pharmacist. The tablet could be coated to slow absorption? I could be wrong there?
Anyway, you can get a 2.5mg dose of Eliquis as a whole tablet.
January 21, 2019 05:23PM
Eliquis isn't time release so it's probably okay to split them, but checking with a pharmacist first would be a good idea. Although Eliquis does come in 2.5 mg tablets, they're priced the same as the full dose.
January 23, 2019 02:39AM
Hey Joseph,

Good news all around! Sure you can take a half does of Eliquis, even if St Davids says its okay to stop the blood thinner, just for your own comfort zone for the time being, Consider doing another TEE in another year to confirm the robust LAA functioning once again and then if all is the same as now, you might feel ready to go off the drug.

Alternatively, should there be any reduction in LAA mechanical function .. though that would be quite unlikely after that length of time and after such a robust reading on your most recent TEE... but should there be any drop off in LAA function after another full year, in that case then I would just go straight for the Watchman FLX and be done with it all.

But it's great news overall and you have some flexibility going forward.

Cheers!
Shannon
January 23, 2019 09:53AM
Hi Shannon - thanks for the response! I would not be where I am today if not for YOU, also the many many people on this board who are also kind enough to share their experiences, knowledge and wisdom. Kindest regards
January 23, 2019 08:04PM
That's great news.

Dr Natales office has a seven day monitor on its way to me. If that's OK I think the next step will be to go back to Austin for a TEE to see if I can come off of Elequis as well.
January 24, 2019 10:36AM
Best of luck to you Rocket!
February 06, 2019 10:36PM
HI Joseph - I am in a similiar position as far as Afib history and have also had a decent TEE test, but it has not yet been determined if I can come off of the Eliquis yet. May I ask which numbers they were looking at to make that determination, and what they were?

I understand your hesitancy as you don't want to do anything risky, but I doubt Dr. Natale would recommend this without great confidence that you will be safe. You might want to look into taking Nattokinase instead, which is a natural blood thinner. One of our regular posters, Jackie, knows much more about that.

Congratulations on your good news and good luck! Barb
February 08, 2019 08:09PM
tobherd
HI Joseph - I am in a similiar position as far as Afib history and have also had a decent TEE test, but it has not yet been determined if I can come off of the Eliquis yet. May I ask which numbers they were looking at to make that determination, and what they were?

Barb, see <[www.afibbers.org] from Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login