Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cardioversion and Medtronics implant

Posted by Robin 
Cardioversion and Medtronics implant
January 19, 2019 05:33PM
Hello All,

Some of you may recall my recent post about "the craziness continues"
My main problem is I am in and out frequently with PVC's and PAC's and ectopics thrown in for decades.
Last month I went from aflutter to afib. EP decided on a cardioconvert which was scheduled for this past Thursday. Was in hospital for the procedure. The PA and PA supervisor keep looking at the monitor and had a hard time figuring out what was going on. EP entered and studied long form EKG and told me I was in NSR. Cancelled the procedure and put a Medtronic implant under my skin over my heart. There is a monitor that goes along with the implant that records my heart issues nightly and sends to EP. Finally I should get a long term report on what is really going on with me. I am happy about that. I am in line to see DR. Natale but have not received a date yet. I was told later March or even
April.
Re: Cardioversion and Medtronics implant
January 20, 2019 03:53AM
Happy they decide long time monitoring. Looks to me as the best option when one does not precisely know what happens.
It's strange they seem to have such a hard time deciding you were in NSR...

An E-cardioversion is some sort of "hard reset". It may work when the patient is clearly in afib and does not revert easily with drugs.
If you're like me, going spontaneously in and out of afib with ectopics inbetween, E-cardioversion may work but for a short period of time.
The very first EC I had worked well, but I was in afib for about 15 hours. It was my second afib episode. (The first one happened a tenth days before and stopped spontaneously after... about 15 hours).
Two months later, they tried another EC, which did nothing despite they did repeated shocks. I went back spontaneously in NSR after 16 hours of afib and had a painful ribcage for some days.
As long as I'm this kind of vagal afibber, EC is a stupid option.
Re: Cardioversion and Medtronics implant
January 20, 2019 10:07AM
Pompon
As long as I'm this kind of vagal afibber, EC is a stupid option.

I agree. In vagal cases, I’d try for chemical cardioversion rather than electrical. Ask for Propafenone or flecainide, maybe a low-dose beta to go with it, and give it 24 hours or so to work before heading to the electric chair.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login