Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Continuing C-reactive protein thread

Posted by Jackie 
Continuing C-reactive protein thread
November 08, 2003 12:45AM
Continuing on this thread that elevated C-reactive protein levels (a measurement of inflammation) may be a contributor to afib, I corresponded with one of the authors of the 2001 report I published here earlier, Dr. Mina Chung, of the Cleveland Clinic....

The reply was this:

...."We have a paper coming out showing higher levels of CRP are associated with future development of AFib."

My question was the chicken and egg theory... did afib cause the CRP or the otherway around.

It would seem from this statement, that elevated CRP is a causative factor in afib.

We'll have to wait until the report is published to learn the details.

It would be a further question, then, when is a CRP evaluation going to become a standard test in the usual blood panel? I always had to request mine of my internist...and my cardiologist never suggested one.

Jackie
Pam
Re: Continuing C-reactive protein thread
November 08, 2003 02:38AM
Jackie:
When you had your CRP level drawn, was it elevated? Very interestiing; I'll have to request a level next doctor visit.

Interesting chicken/egg theory as well.

Seems this sentence would suggest the higher levels associated with future development of AFib, would suggest the inflammation came first?

...."We have a paper coming out showing higher levels of CRP are associated with future development of AFib."

Thanks, Jackie
Pam
Mike F. V42
November 08, 2003 04:13AM
Jackie,

Thanks for the new info. I'll be getting the results of my latest CRP next week (drawn last Mon am). If it's still high (4 last time almost a year ago), then I'm going to have to look seriously about bringing it down (using info from your recent postings) to more acceptable levels. Also, my gastritis and esophagitis and candida probs are going to HAVE to be addressed to reduce the CRP levels since the aforementioned are surely contributing to my elevated CRP??

Mike F.
Stevie
November 08, 2003 09:09AM
I asked my Cardiologist about the test for C-reactive protein. He admitted that the research does show a possible connection between elevated levels and some heart related problems. However, he said that as yet there didn't seem to be any definitive treatment, aside from perscribing statin drugs, that might lower these levels. Since I don't have a cholesterol problem and have heard about the adverse side affects of statin drugs ( muscle pain, liver problems) I have decided to skip having the test for the present time.
November 09, 2003 01:31AM
Stevie - stay away from statin drugs if at all possible. You can go to Dr. Stephen Sinatra's web site and check out his articles on CRP and what he recommends for lowering by natural means..... antiinflammatories such as ginger, tumeric, boswellia, bromelain....and of course, aspirin...but that's another story...the risks of taking aspirin on a long-term basis.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login