Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LS V-8 juice

Posted by Catherine 
LS V-8 juice
January 11, 2019 10:34AM
.....has been very effective in controlling ectopics; two cans a day, a total of 2360 mg. I have also been suffering with digestive issues thinking Magnesium was the culprit. It’s not.

I stopped drinking the V8 a few days ago and my digestion has improved a lot, almost back to normal and the ectopics are through the roof. The juice contains beets, high in Sorbitol. I can’t do Sorbitol.

Question: how much and what kind of potassium can/should I take to make up for the deficit.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 10:34AM by Catherine.
Re: LS V-8 juice
January 11, 2019 11:01AM
You can substitute coconut water. It's 480 mg per 8-oz as compared to 900 mg for V8 but it's probably the highest you're going to find in a drink.
January 11, 2019 11:50AM
Carey, can I take supplements? And if so, which kind? Potassium citrate or gluconate?
January 11, 2019 01:25PM
Catherine
Carey, can I take supplements? And if so, which kind? Potassium citrate or gluconate?

My suggestion would be citrate. It can be had in powder form. I think 1 tsp is 2 g potassium. If you drink water over the day, I would suggest dissolving the powder in a jug of water and drinking that over the day. My version of "timed release" potassium. Not that these quantities are right for you, but I put 2 tsps (4g K+) in 1/2 gallon of water and drink over the course of the day. I don't need that much for my afib, am doing a different experiment.
January 11, 2019 02:23PM
Unless you're looking for massive doses like George uses, supplements are an expensive way to get potassium. Any type of pill will be limited to 99 mg under US law no matter what form it comes in (citrate, etc). With powders you can ignore that limit and use as much as you want, but if you're doing that you'd better make sure your kidney function is normal and you're not taking any potassium-sparing drugs (ARBs, ACE inhibitors, several diuretics).

You can easily make some minor dietary changes that will add grams of potassium per day for a fraction of the cost.
January 11, 2019 02:26PM
I can do that, George. I can order it in bulk.

Before I do, can you recommend a brand? Thanks.
January 11, 2019 02:31PM
January 11, 2019 03:27PM
Catherine
I can do that, George. I can order it in bulk.

Before I do, can you recommend a brand? Thanks.

I've used Bulk Supplements, <[www.bulksupplements.com] which is also available on Amazon.

Potassium bicarbonate would work as well. I think it is used in home brewing, so could be picked up at a local brewing store. I don't have the measurements for tsp to gram conversion.

I'd start with something approximating the amount of potassium you were consuming in the LSV8 and then, if you want to increase, do it slowly.
January 11, 2019 03:31PM
My BP RX is potassium sparring. Potassium has more resteictions than Magnesium, with some serious side effects, if not done right.

In powder form, it asks for 1/8th of a tsp. to equal 99mg. Good grief, how the heck pdo you measure that amount?

I have to give this more thought.
January 11, 2019 03:33PM
George, I don’t think I have your tolerence for theae minerals. If I took your amount of magnesium, I’d be bed-bound.
January 11, 2019 03:39PM
Thank you, Kate. I saved the page. One banana and one sweet potatoe (both of which I love) equals one can of V-8.

I think I’ll go Carey’s route.
January 11, 2019 05:10PM
Catherine
Thank you, Kate. I saved the page. One banana and one sweet potatoe (both of which I love) equals one can of V-8.

I think I’ll go Carey’s route.

I do too. It must be the tomatoes in the V8 that have so much potassium.
January 11, 2019 05:28PM
No, it's just that the manufacturer adds potassium chloride to the drink. You could do the same by putting salt substitute (KCl) from the grocery store into a cup of tomato juice.
January 11, 2019 06:27PM
Wolfpack...potassium salt. I have that on my kitchen counter. My husband uses that.
January 11, 2019 06:41PM
Oh ok. I just saw that a tomato has 400mg of potassium per cup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login