Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watchman Implant experience

Posted by Louise 
Watchman Implant experience
January 07, 2019 07:19PM
I am scheduled for a Watchman Implant on January 31 and am wondering if anyone who has done this could share your experience. Thank you. Louise
Re: Watchman Implant experience
January 07, 2019 08:19PM
January 07, 2019 08:34PM
Thank you very much for that, Rocketrich!
January 07, 2019 10:03PM
Thanks for that link, rocketritch. I'd forgotten about that thread.

Louise, it will be the easiest procedure you've ever undergone. Figure maybe an hour total more or less, with half that being prep and coming out of the anesthesia. The only thing you'll have to deal with afterward is the one femoral vein puncture (vs two or more for an ablation). And now that TCAI has the collagen plugs, that six hours of lying flat has been reduced to two hours. Just be careful about lifting afterwards. The catheter they use is large, so the insertion site is large. Be careful about not lifting or straining for the five days or so they tell you.
January 07, 2019 10:11PM
Thank you, Carey. Do you have any idea when the FLX will be approved? This is not an urgent procedure for me and I wonder if I should wait for the “new and improved” device. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 10:12PM by Louise.
January 08, 2019 12:30AM
I can't really predict when it will be approved. The clinical trial is slated to end in 2021, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was approved before then.

If I were you, I don't think I would wait for the FLX. It's better, but it's not THAT much better. The original Watchman is a sound device with a proven track record.
January 08, 2019 04:50AM
Thank you, Carey. Given that timeframe I will go ahead. I do have a question I didn’t ask before. I’m wearing a monitor I am to turn in in a week with a diary of my activities and I thought the Dr. was going to review that and then make a final decision; but his office called yesterday to schedule the procedure. I’m guessing he just wanted to get it scheduled, assuming there won’t be anything on the monitor that would change his opinion (?).
January 08, 2019 10:49AM
That would be my guess as well -- they just wanted to get you scheduled. If the monitor turns up something that would delay the Watchman then they can just give your slot to someone on the waiting list, but they don't expect that to happen.
January 08, 2019 12:06PM
This was my experience, specific to TCAI. Two other forum members here had theirs done the same morning as mine.

[www.afibbers.org]
January 09, 2019 10:04AM
Thank you, AB. Now my only concern is re Elizabeth’s comment about the original Watchman, which is what I will be getting. What happens? Do they remove it? That sounds worse than the original surgery since heart tissue will have grown around it. Has the original mesh Ben a frequent problem?
January 09, 2019 10:26AM
The material used in the Watchman has not been a problem and the FLX uses the same material as used in the original. The main problem with Watchman devices was operator inexperience in the early years. As operator experience has grown, problems have decreased substantially.
January 09, 2019 10:28AM
Whew! Thank you, Carey!
January 23, 2019 08:25PM
As per above posts, I am scheduled for a Watchman next Thursday the 31st. On Jan 10th I was put on a monitor foe a week. Today the office called and I am going in this Friday to “discuss the monitor resuts.” Now I’m afraid there was something that might prevent the procedure. The surgery is still scheduled right now. Anyone have any insights as to why I’m being called in? Although I know it will be a couple of months away, I’m really looking forward to going off blood thinners — because of the possibility of bleeding, but also because I just got a 30 day supply of Xarelto for $440!!. I know it’s because of the deductible for a new year, but...
January 23, 2019 09:47PM
There aren't any contraindications for a Watchman that would show up on a monitor, so you can relax. :-)

Why they want to discuss the results could be many (including good news), but I don't think they're going to tell you that you can't have the device.
January 23, 2019 09:49PM
Thank you, Carey!
January 24, 2019 03:24AM
Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.
January 25, 2019 07:15PM
Thank you, rocketrich! I just got home. The procedure is still on and wasn’t the issue. My monitor showed that my average heart rate is 115! This was a shock to me because I hardly ever feel anything. Also, my heart stopped for 2.6 minutes once. So there is the possibility of a pacemaker down the road. As usual when I go to the Dr I forgot to ask an important question. Oh, he said my “ventricular pumping” is good per my echocardiogram in November. My question is, “if I slowly increase my aerobic exercise, will it make my heart stronger and lower my heart rate?” I will try to remember to ask this after my surgery next Thursday. And more good news is that I can go home that day! That’s actually been my greatest concern, since you all have told me what an easy procedure this is. Thanks to you all!
January 25, 2019 08:54PM
Aerobic excercise is definitely good idea. Not only for your heart but your well being and other health benefits as well. Though an overabundance of aerobic excercise is how many of us have found our way here. Just make sure that if you havent been excercising that you ease into it.
January 25, 2019 09:02PM
Louise
Also, my heart stopped for 2.6 minutes once.

I'm pretty sure you meant 2.6 seconds. A pause of 2.6 minutes would have left you face down on the floor in need of immediate CPR.
January 25, 2019 09:09PM
Haha! Yes, Carey, correct!
January 27, 2019 07:01PM
Does anyone have a Watchman and a Pacemaker?
January 27, 2019 10:42PM
Louise:

Shannon has a watchman and he also has a pacemaker.

Liz
January 27, 2019 10:56PM
Thank you, Liz! It looks like I’m never going to be in nsr, so the pacemaker will probably be next after the Watchman. I wonder if he can put them in at the same time! 😄
February 01, 2019 07:00PM
I had my Watchman procedure yesterday and, as you all said, it was a piece of cake! I was home by 3:30 pm with only a slight ache from the puncture.

I was just looking at the TEE results (I’ve never had one before.) In part, “ The left atrium is slightly dilated. The right atrium is normal size.”

In the results from my echocardiogram in November, it showed both were “severely dilated.” Could this have changed in that time? Is the TEE a better picture? I don’t see Dr. Doshi for a follow up until March 13, so I assume all is well. (Except for my high heart rate, which I intend to address with slowly elevated aerobic exercise.)

Again, thank you all for always responding to my very uneducated questions. Louise
February 02, 2019 09:12AM
I’ve noticed a lot of “activity” in my heart since the procedure. I often have a rapid heart rate but I don’t feel it — just find out when I use my heart rate phone ap. Could this be an after effect of the propofol? Or possibly just shock to my body? Even being in permanent afib for years I’ve only rarely been aware of such “hard” beating. I walked to the Dr.’s office yesterday morning and my boss was 101/59 and heart rate was 87. I’ve been resting/reading and not doing much and my hr seems to stay in the 70’s and 80’s but there is a lot of movement. I’m not saying flutter, tachycardia or pacs because I don’t know the difference.
February 03, 2019 03:04PM
This is the second half of Louise's post:

Louise [ PM ]
February 02, 2019 09:12AM Registered: 5 years ago

I’ve noticed a lot of “activity” in my heart since the procedure. I often have a rapid heart rate but I don’t feel it — just find out when I use my heart rate phone ap. Could this be an after effect of the propofol? Or possibly just shock to my body? Even being in permanent afib for years I’ve only rarely been aware of such “hard” beating. I walked to the Dr.’s office yesterday morning and my boss was 101/59 and heart rate was 87. I’ve been resting/reading and not doing much and my hr seems to stay in the 70’s and 80’s but there is a lot of movement. I’m not saying flutter, tachycardia or pacs because I don’t know the difference.
February 20, 2019 11:37PM
I posted the following on Feb 1 but didn’t get any responses. I noticed Elizabeth re-postedit, so I’m not sure what happened. Anyway, still curious about the different echo results. Other than that I’m fine and will see Dr. Doshi on 3/13.

“I was just looking at the TEE results (I’ve never had one before.) In part, “ The left atrium is slightly dilated. The right atrium is normal size.”

In the results from my echocardiogram in November, it showed both were “severely dilated.” Could this have changed in that time? Is the TEE a better picture? I don’t see Dr. Doshi for a follow up until March 13, so I assume all is well. (Except for my high heart rate, which I intend to address with slowly elevated aerobic exercise.) “
February 27, 2019 05:10PM
You haven't gotten more responses because this thread got pushed to page two of the threads, and a lot of people don't ever look beyond page 1. But looking at your last post above, I'm sure I responded to that question before. I remember saying the TEE is more accurate and so the previous results were probably wrong about the severe dilation. So did you ask that question twice or something?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login