Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pacs lead to afib

Posted by johnnyS 
Re: Pacs lead to afib
January 08, 2019 05:27PM
More than electrolytes-----there are many, many people that have bad diets, low electrolytes and do not get AF. It is DNA, I got my AF from my mother, my two brothers didn't get AF, one brother had a different father, the other just got better DNA.

Liz
January 08, 2019 07:00PM
wolfpack
Fibrosis alters the electrical substrate of the atria. Think of perfectly healthy atria as a wire - electricity can flow uniformly through a wire. Now dip the wire in acid so it corrodes and gets lots of pitted and oxidized areas. Now electricity can't flow uniformly through the wire. It has to find a way around the bad spots. That's what fibrotic tissue in the atria is doing - stopping the uniform flow of charge across the atrium that allows it to contract in an organized fashion. The charge that makes your atria contract originates on the right side in the sino-atrial (SA) node. If it experiences extra delay because of fibrosis on its way to the left atrium then that increases the chance that another autonomous region (all heart tissue is autonomous) can discharge itself first because the "domino effect" of the SA node didn't make it there in time. Now you have disorganized contraction. If enough of that occurs, you can get sustained AF. So fibrosis raises the risk of this happening. Fibrotic tissue in itself isn't arrhythmogenic - it's dead.

Well done. That's the best explanation I've seen.
January 08, 2019 10:42PM
wolfpack, I concur with Carey. Great job!
January 08, 2019 11:20PM
Thank you all for your input and explanations. I guess for those with early PACs and no Afib are at the mercy of this thing and there’s nothing we can do to alter our genetic course other than lifestyle and supplementation. I was assuming that since they ablate PVCs, why couldn’t they ablate PACs? I mean there’s nothing cardiologists or EPs are doing other than beta blockers which don’t work. I wonder if in near future the 3D MRI technology will get better and screenings for this type of thing will lead to development of new treatments.

Thank you again.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 11:21PM by johnnyS.
January 08, 2019 11:36PM
Carey

Yes I agree, PVC's are much more of a potential danger, as if it progresses to V-Tach, then that is terminal unless you are are in a Hospital, or somewhere that a defibrillator is available.

V-tach is potentially fatal, but only potentially. People commonly experience v-tach without dying, even sustained v-tach. But yes, it's definitely an ominous rhythm that demands immediate attention. Not sure how we got from PVCs to v-tach, though. I'm pretty sure JohnnyS is in no danger of v-tach.

Thanks for the correction, I meant to to say V-Fillibration.
January 09, 2019 03:49AM
What Carey and George said - good job there wolfpack!
January 09, 2019 06:15PM
Hi John

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure I would have had regular ectopics before my afib diagnosis. I now have several afib episodes a week, always preceeded by ectopics (which I describe as "regularly irregular beats" vs the "irregularly irregular" beats of afib).

Moreover, when not in afib I am often having ectopics (feels pulse) - yep!

Kind regards

Anne
January 09, 2019 11:12PM
johnnyS
I was assuming that since they ablate PVCs, why couldn’t they ablate PACs?

Because the ventricles are thick and PVCs often have a well-defined focal point if they can find it. The atria are paper-thin and will have multiple foci if some lawmaker named Murphy is to be believed. winking smiley

The thing to be cognizant of with ventricular ablation is that the practitioner does have to advance the catheters through the valves and that carries risk. If you tear a valve (tri-cuspid or mitral) the result is not good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login