Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beta Blockers

Posted by katesshadow 
Beta Blockers
December 28, 2018 09:13PM
I have never taken any prescription drugs on a regular basis (only occasional antibiotics or pain meds) until I was diagnosed with Afib. My blood pressure was high and the cardiologist prescribed Norvasc before I left the hospital. At my follow up visit (less than a week later) she was still not happy with it, so she added a combo beta blocker/diuretic. My Bp has been averaging 120/70 and heart rate 50-55.

Tonight I was reading an article on the benefits of magnesium and how many people are deficient and could likely avoid BP medicine if they used Magnesium.

The article went on to talk about how bad beta blockers are - actually could be dangerous. Mentioned they could even cause heart failure.

Now I'm very concerned and upset that this doctor so flippantly prescribed them to me. I was scared of the AF diagnose and trusted her. I wish I had known more at the time and done my research because now I feel like I'm stuck because apparently you can't just stop taking a beta blocker.

I know that there are people on here who are very knowledgeable about medications. Can you give me some advice?
Re: Beta Blockers
December 29, 2018 12:03AM
You can stop a beta. It’s not a life sentence.

Magnesium, in brief, helps to relax muscle cells. Arteries are made up of just a special type of muscle cell. So relaxing them may lower BP.
Joe
December 29, 2018 02:05AM
I've stopped BB on two occasions after my AF abated. I just reduced gradually over a few weeks. Don't know if that is strictly necessary.
December 29, 2018 09:07AM
When I asked the cardiologist about magnesium at my 1st (and only) visit, she said it wouldn't make much difference. But I see from my research (googling winking smiley) that most people do notice a difference.

What I have is Heart Calm. One serving is 300mg Maghesium, 99mg Potassium, 1000mg Taurine, and 30 mg Coenzyme Q10. Instructions are 3 per day. I have not started it yet. I asked the pharmacist about interactions and he said it would be fine and just wait a couple hours after taking my Rx to take it.

Has anyone noticed a big difference in their AFIB episodes and/or been able to lower or even stop any Rx meds by taking Magnesium? I'm thinking I should start with 1 a day but not sure if that's even enough to tell a difference.
December 29, 2018 10:25AM
That sounds like a mix of supplements we usually take. Important is the form of magnesium in there. You really want an amino acid chelate to avoid any vowel tolerance issues. Magnesium oxide is a waste of time. You won’t absorb it. Magnesium citrate will very likely be laxative. As for the dose, 3x/day is fine. 1x/day is likely too low for you to see any benefit. As with all supplementation it takes time (measure in weeks, not days) too see any effect. Supplements are not pharmaceutical grade stuff and don’t work like an aspirin, for example.

You will find most MDs opinions on supplements are similar. They all pretty much dismiss them. Remember physicians’ offices are visited almost daily by Pharma sales reps showering them with samples, gifts, and free lunches.

Why not consider individual supplements instead of a combo like the one you have? In my opinion, it’s better to have individual control over each item so you can judge its effectiveness.

Lastly, and this is true for any electrolyte supplement, be sure you have healthy kidney function.
December 29, 2018 10:57AM
Magnesium (elemental) from Magnesium Taurate, Glycinate & Malate

I thought it was better to pair Mg with Potassium and Taurine?
December 29, 2018 12:01PM
katesshadow

Magnesium taurate, glycinate and malate aren't a pairing of supplements. Those are three forms of magnesium compounding. There's also mag oxide, citrate, and a few others.
December 29, 2018 12:18PM
Carey

Magnesium taurate, glycinate and malate aren't a pairing of supplements. Those are three forms of magnesium compounding. There's also mag oxide, citrate, and a few others.

Carey, I'm sorry. I was specifying the type of Magnesium in the "Heart Calm." I listed the other supplements above, but here they are again:

300mg Magnesium (elemental) from Magnesium Taurate, Glycinate & Malate
99mg Potassium
1000mg Taurine
30 mg Coenzyme Q10

Directions: 3X day
December 29, 2018 04:01PM
When I first got episodes of AF my M.D. prescribed beta blockers for me to take. When I took them they made me very tried, I could hardly walk very far, I finally quit taking them and felt better. Then when getting an episode of AF and going back to NSR I would almost black out, this was caught in my M.D.s office, when going back into NSR my heart rate dropped to an almost flat line. That was sent to my EP and he immediately made arrangements for me to get a Pacemaker. I was in his office one time and saw my chart I picked it up and read that my EP said that my 1st. degree heart block was probably caused by the beta blockers. So, that is my experience with beta blockers, it probably doesn't affect everybody in the same way, I would say that if you took a beta blocker once in a while to bring down a fast heartbeat would be ok, but to take one everyday, I would say no.

I take Magnesium everyday, it is the one supplement that has helped my AF, stopped my palps. I don't take the other supplements you mentioned, I can't take Potassium because my blood potassium is very good.

Liz
December 30, 2018 09:30AM
katesshadow
When I asked the cardiologist about magnesium at my 1st (and only) visit, she said it wouldn't make much difference. But I see from my research (googling winking smiley) that most people do notice a difference.

What I have is Heart Calm. One serving is 300mg Magnesium, 99mg Potassium, 1000mg Taurine, and 30 mg Coenzyme Q10. Instructions are 3 per day. I have not started it yet. I asked the pharmacist about interactions and he said it would be fine and just wait a couple hours after taking my Rx to take it.

Has anyone noticed a big difference in their AFIB episodes and/or been able to lower or even stop any Rx meds by taking Magnesium? I'm thinking I should start with 1 a day but not sure if that's even enough to tell a difference.

Just to clarify, one serving is 3 capsules and 3 capsules contain listed ingredients.
December 31, 2018 11:11AM
Do you all take your supplements once a day or space them out?
December 31, 2018 08:06PM
It’s preferable to space out electrolytes such as magnesium over the day. That will lessen the risk of bowel issues. Also, taking magnesium at night may aid sleep.
January 03, 2019 02:12PM
wolfpack
It’s preferable to space out electrolytes such as magnesium over the day. That will lessen the risk of bowel issues. Also, taking magnesium at night may aid sleep.

Just saw this. I posted a ? in another thread about the timing of supplements. THANKS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login