Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

episodes of tachycardia after ablation

Posted by libby 
episodes of tachycardia after ablation
December 27, 2018 07:34PM
Just got the results of my post ablation Zio Patch today. In one breath I was told it's pretty good, less than 1% ectopic beats, and that I can safely come off the Eliquis. In the next breath the nurse said there were some tachycardia episodes. I'm not sure if they were atrial, supra-ventricular, or other. They want to repeat the Zio Patch in March. Since then I've been overthinking it. Trying to look up research didn't help. I had tachycardia without a-fib at times before the ablation. I'm wondering if it's something that didn't show itself or I also read AT can become worse than the original issues. What's the scoop? Can they tell by the EKG what area of the heart is being naughty?
Thanks!
Re: episodes of tachycardia after ablation
December 27, 2018 10:35PM
Hi Libby,
My times after ablation including to date I have bursts of tachy. It's very short unlike before my original (1rst) ablation. It seems the follow up ablations I was always told nothing found in right atrium no tachy etc. but yet it exists.
I can't by any means say it's worse. Hopefully if you just have little bursts it will resolve
December 28, 2018 07:13AM
Thanks, that helps. The ones I've noticed have been very short (not more than a dozen beats). Hopefully that's what they saw. I'm guessing, as in the past, some is at night and I don't always notice/am asleep.
December 28, 2018 10:01AM
I had some short runs in the year following my ablation. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes that lasted < 30 seconds. I was never able to capture one on the Kardia because they were too short.

An EKG can tell you if the tachycardia is supraventrucular (atrial is just another form of supraventricular) or not. It can’t really tell much more than that, like whether it’s coming from the left or right atrium. You need to measure electrical activity on the INSIDE of the heart to determine that, which is what an EP does during an ablation procedure. An EKG only measures the electrical activity on the OUTSIDE of the heart, and it gets attenuated as it travels down the limbs and through the skin.

Your rhythm was certainly supraventricular tachycardia. If it had been true v-tach then you would have had an entirely different conversation with your doctors, probably including the words “implantable cardioverter-defibrillator” (ICD).
December 28, 2018 11:20AM
That's exactly what mine are. I still have them, the episodes are few and far between but just at random times
Tim
December 28, 2018 08:00PM
Thanks guys!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login