Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fast beats

Posted by tango232 
Fast beats
December 27, 2018 01:31AM
I'm 29 and just got diagnosed with afib back in Sept. Lasted for 7 days till I had a cardioversion. Everything went fine, but now I have a flutter every now and again, starting taking diltiazem and I dont have, or maybe feel them anymore, but tonight I had an episode where I felt my heart beating fast and hard for what seemed like forever but was probably just a second or two.

Made my anxiety go up after that, thought I was going back into afib, anyone experience anything like this?

New to this afib stuff and it's rather scary being young with it and not finding out what the trigger was for my first episode
Re: Fast beats
December 27, 2018 08:31AM
Welcome here ! I'm sorry you need help and information. Afib is awful, particularly when it's new. When we're used to, it's far less scaring and dangerous than we might imagine.
Some have afib with no or little symptoms. It's less scaring, but potentially more dangerous because they may not worry taking meds or even seeing a cardiologist.
You'll find lots of good advices on this forum. Don't panic. Stress is bad, because it increases HR disorders.
Don't get obsessed taking your pulses or searching for triggers. For most of us, triggers are - apart for obvious things like dehydration, alcohol and infections - still mysterious after years of fight against the beast.
December 27, 2018 11:16AM
Sorry you have to deal with this at such a young age. A couple of things....

I wouldn't bother trying to find the trigger. Odds are there is no trigger and even if there is, it will be something else next time.

Have you had a full workup by a cardiologist? By that I mean a stress test and an echocardiogram at a minimum. Afib at 29 is unusual so other causes need to be ruled out. If this hasn't been done, ask your doctor to refer you to a cardiologist.

Otherwise, I second Pompon's advice regarding triggers, stress, alcohol, etc.
December 27, 2018 01:53PM
Carey
Sorry you have to deal with this at such a young age. A couple of things....

I wouldn't bother trying to find the trigger. Odds are there is no trigger and even if there is, it will be something else next time.

Have you had a full workup by a cardiologist? By that I mean a stress test and an echocardiogram at a minimum. Afib at 29 is unusual so other causes need to be ruled out. If this hasn't been done, ask your doctor to refer you to a cardiologist.

Otherwise, I second Pompon's advice regarding triggers, stress, alcohol, etc.[/quo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 01:56PM by smackman.
January 04, 2019 07:03PM
Yes I've had a stress test and it was fine, ran for almost 2p mins till I couldnt run anymore. Had an echocardiogram before I had the cardioversion and it was fine. The meds I'm on now are working but sometimes I'll still feel a flutter or really fast beats. When it happens my anxiety just takes over.
Besides the symptoms of a heart attack, when do you what calls for a a trip to the ER or ambulance?
January 04, 2019 07:49PM
tango232
Besides the symptoms of a heart attack, when do you what calls for a a trip to the ER or ambulance?

A heart rate over 200
Fainting or near fainting
Difficulty breathing
Dizziness
Nausea/vomiting
And last but not least... when you just can't take it anymore
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login