Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few questions

Posted by lds001 
A few questions
December 25, 2018 05:42PM
Until last week I had had 2 AFib episodes in about 19 months. Now last week I had a 3rd one and last night I had one. All happen at night and all have lasted about 2 - 4 hours and then resolved on their own.

I saw the EP nurse after last weeks episode and it was decided not to do antirhhymic drugs at this point as I don’t tolerate drugs well and to just keep me on my beta blocker.

She also started me on a ZIO patch. So last nights episode will be captured. I send that in tomorrow .

I have always said I want to have an ablation as soon as I can....as the AFib progresses .......due to intolerance of drugs and my anxiety. So my questions are

Do you contact your MD after each episode?.....even when they resolve on their own?

How many episodes did you have before having an ablation.?

I notice after an AFib episode that the next day I am exhausted and my heart is extremely irritable ...lots of missed/skipped beats and runs. Within a day or two I am back to normal. Does anyone else eel that way

thanks for reading.
Re: A few questions
December 25, 2018 06:34PM
I've not had an ablation. I've had afib for over 14 years. Here is a brief history <[www.afibbers.org]

"Do you contact your MD after each episode?.....even when they resolve on their own? "

Beyond my first episode, where I went to the ER because I did not know what was happening, I've never called my doc or gone to the ER for an episode. After my first 2.5 month episode, I've converted almost every one with on-demand flecainide, usually in an hour or two. Early on (before my 2.5 month episode 14.25 years ago), I could convert my episodes with exercise (I have vagal triggers). I also converted my last episode, 7 months ago, with a breathing technique to increase serum CO2 <[www.afibbers.org].

George
December 25, 2018 06:47PM
I have never contacted a doctor after an episode. There's just no need. That Zio patch will tell him everything he needs to know. I had afib for 8 years before seeking an ablation. I did so because my episodes went from 1-2 per year to 1-2 per week over the course of about a year.

Many people feel exhausted and have a twitchy heart following an episode. That's very common.
December 25, 2018 10:43PM
I’ll email mine after an episode. He probably doesn’t read it. His nurse does. Fortunately I haven’t had one in a good long while.
December 26, 2018 01:22PM
lds001
Do you contact your MD after each episode?.....even when they resolve on their own?

No, unless I experiment really new or worrying things.

lds001
How many episodes did you have before having an ablation.?

A dozen before my 1st ablation (PVI). I had about two episodes/month, lasting 15-20h with awful symptoms. Meds were unefficient, so I quickly thought ablation was the good option for me. Since then, I've had three other procedures and I'm still not cured. I've ectopics, sometimes leading to afib, but episodes are short (1-2h) and symptoms considerably lighter than before.

lds001
I notice after an AFib episode that the next day I am exhausted and my heart is extremely irritable ...lots of missed/skipped beats and runs. Within a day or two I am back to normal. Does anyone else eel that way ?

Before my 1st ablation, each 15-20h afib episode had me needing two to three days to recover. I was weak, but in quiet NSR for a couple of days. I made an analogy with a battery discharging (during afib) and needing some time (several days or weeks) to recharge before being able to restart afib.
December 27, 2018 01:25AM
Carey
I have never contacted a doctor after an episode. There's just no need. That Zio patch will tell him everything he needs to know. I had afib for 8 years before seeking an ablation. I did so because my episodes went from 1-2 per year to 1-2 per week over the course of about a year.

Many people feel exhausted and have a twitchy heart following an episode. That's very common.

That is basically how my afib was. Almost nonexistent for years to persistent the last few weeks leading up to my first ablation. The second time around was almost identical.
December 28, 2018 02:43PM
Carey,
Is it common after your heart has been racing (130) for 24 hours plus and then it goes back to a normal (60) and after a few days during which you got your energy back, for heart to still sort of ache a little?
December 28, 2018 04:14PM
tibbar
Carey,
Is it common after your heart has been racing (130) for 24 hours plus and then it goes back to a normal (60) and after a few days during which you got your energy back, for heart to still sort of ache a little?

Mine never did but I've heard others report that. Not surprising when you consider your heart has been running a marathon for 24+ hours.
December 29, 2018 12:42PM
Thanks.Makes sense.

Tibbar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login