Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

antibiotics / z-pack

Posted by bettylou4488 
antibiotics / z-pack
December 22, 2018 11:23PM
I am seeing a new EP monday and have piles of questions. But about 10 days ago we got strep in the house. I went on antibiotics... i have an allergy to augmentin so did a z-pack. Man it messed with my gut- and maybe THAT is why i have been having a lot of weird beats. Or maybe it is the zith iitself. (I took for 5 days and it stays in system for 10 which is today) But i am curious if anyone else has had issues with antibiotics and a-fib. I really do think it is "leaky gut" from the antibiotics if anything (and i was already working on that) but thought i would ask here.

Thanks!
Re: antibiotics / z-pack
December 23, 2018 11:36AM
bettylou - here's two links from several indicating that heart 'irritation' and arrhythmia can be a side effect of Zpak...
When the function of normal, healthy intestinal bacteria is disrupted or destroyed, it often is necessary after the antibiotic treatment to begin a restorative process putting back the "good" or functional microbes that serve to keep us healthy.

Safety Announcement

[3-12-2013] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning the public that azithromycin (Zithromax or Zmax) can cause abnormal changes in the electrical activity of the heart that may lead to a potentially fatal irregular heart rhythm. Patients at particular risk for developing this condition include those with known risk factors such as existing QT interval prolongation, low blood levels of potassium or magnesium, a slower than normal heart rate, or use of certain drugs used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, or arrhythmias. This communication is a result of our review of a study by medical researchers as well as another study by a manufacturer of the drug that assessed the potential for azithromycin to cause abnormal changes in the electrical activity of the heart.

[www.drugwatch.com]

[www.mayoclinic.org]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login