Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Atrial Fibrillation Diet: How to Beat A-Fib with Food

Posted by JakeL 
The Atrial Fibrillation Diet: How to Beat A-Fib with Food
December 18, 2018 04:58PM
The following article comes from Dr John Day's website. In it he provides a very thorough analysis of how we can improve our AFIB through diet. Actually, many of his ideas have been discussed on this Forum like Jackie and Elizabeth's Functional Medicine thoughts and George N's ideas on fasting. Dr Day gives an even analysis by quoting both positive and negative results of different studies, for example about eating fish and consuming fish oil.

Dr Day also gives examples of the foods to eat and not eat and what you might consider for the 3 meals of the day. My favorite sentences were:
Personally, I’m not one for a detailed list of “forbidden foods” or rules, rather I like general guidelines. And if you have to ask, can I eat this? Then the answer is almost always no.

Enjoy, useful information.
Re: The Atrial Fibrillation Diet: How to Beat A-Fib with Food
December 18, 2018 05:55PM
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Joe
December 18, 2018 07:36PM
Thanks for the link! Makes a lot of sense to me.
When i had vege juice/smoothies 3/4 times per week my afib was in remission. I slacked off and had it come back for 5 weeks recently.
Resumed vege juice again (and Flec) so hopefully my current remission will last .

Antioxidants are food compounds which block this oxidation aging process and reactive oxidant species. For example, one study of 800 people showed that those who got the most antioxidants from vitamins like C, E, and carotenoids from vegetables and fruit were twice as likely to have their hearts go back to normal rhythm without drugs or procedures. Just to be clear, antioxidant dietary supplements have never been shown to prevent atrial fibrillation. You can only get this antioxidant atrial fibrillation benefit by eating massive quantities of real food, especially vegetables.
Noted the anti-oxidants to come from vegetablesthumbs up which most likley supplies us with a lot of other factors, known and unknown (if it is grown in healthy soil and not dirt with chemical fertilizers etc)
December 18, 2018 07:37PM
JakeL

Really good article, just read it, thanks.

L
December 19, 2018 12:24AM
:-)
December 19, 2018 10:46PM
Interesting read....As I read just find myself thinking, "yeah, right!!" So maybe if I win the lottery and can afford a private nutritionist I could eat this way. The message I kind of took away is supplements won't work. The doc says these are only available thru fresh fruits and veggies. Do supplements not work then? Is that the real message?
Don't eat meat, don't eat bread, sugars
Can't have alcohol
Don't smoke (never have)
Watch your waist line (mines perfect)
Watch your weight ( I'm fit and perfect weight)
Don't stress out
Keep your gut bacteria in check

I guess I just get confused because these things, all these things, lead to a "healthy" life in general. Nothing ever really points to a cure or even a "reason" as to why this condition developed, and when we get some sense of a plan it's not really attainable, not if you are living in the world as I know it.
I say we all just get together and have a big afib party, I'll bring the KY bourbon!
December 19, 2018 11:45PM
The doc. did not say you couldn't eat meat, just said not to eat a lot of it eat more fruits and vegetables. Why would it be expensive to eat more vegetables? Beans aren't expensive, when I was a kid we didn't have very much money and my mother made a lot of bean soup, baked beans from scratch. I don't know where you live, if you have a house and a little land grow your own, where I live people have quite a bit of land and don't raise a thing it has become a lost art. I have a large garden, always had one, I do have episodes of AF but so far I have always converted on my own. I agree we need a cure, ablations and drugs aren't cures.

Liz
December 20, 2018 03:06AM
tsco
Interesting read....As I read just find myself thinking, "yeah, right!!" So maybe if I win the lottery and can afford a private nutritionist I could eat this way. The message I kind of took away is supplements won't work. The doc says these are only available thru fresh fruits and veggies. Do supplements not work then? Is that the real message?
Can't have alcohol
Don't smoke (never have)
Don't stress out

I guess I just get confused because these things, all these things, lead to a "healthy" life in general. Nothing ever really points to a cure or even a "reason" as to why this condition developed, and when we get some sense of a plan it's not really attainable, not if you are living in the world as I know it.
I say we all just get together and have a big afib party, I'll bring the KY bourbon!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 20, 2018 09:30AM
To me, it sounds like another way to say things I already know. A healthy diet is good for anyone, not just for afibbers. Whatever your health problem, from the moment you take good care of your diet and habits, chances are great it has positive effects on your health.
That's not saying you'd be cured.
December 20, 2018 03:54PM
Hi Liz,
I do grow a garden every year !!! Love it! I guess it just seems unreasonable to eat veggies in the quantities that are required to be of benefit to us afibbers.

ps "Always garden bare-footed", It grounds you to earth.
Tim
December 20, 2018 05:47PM
tsco
Can't have alcohol
Don't smoke (never have)
Don't stress out

🥃🍻🥂👍 Loving Life!
I do consider AFIB Ablation done by a EP with credentials like Dr. Natale to be really close to a cure. My Life is so much better since my last Ablation in June 2016. If only I could get this Tinnitus out of both ears but it is there for the long haul unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 05:55PM by smackman.
December 20, 2018 10:58PM
Smackman,
Remember we were there at the same time. We didn't get to meet tho. Yea my afib is diminished but unfortunately I'm stuck with a bunch of other crazy stuff weird ectopics.
Glad you are feeling the best!
Tim
December 20, 2018 10:59PM
tsco
Can't have alcohol
Don't smoke (never have)
Don't stress out

If you watch the video on his page you will see that he gets a question at the end that echoes your points...basically, there are going to be people like you that are going to afib regardless of your lifestyle. If the meds reduce your quality of life too far it is time to look at an ablation.

Jon
December 20, 2018 11:49PM
Dr John Day is a really good man and physician who I know well. He is well aware of our site and Afibbers forum and enjoys our insights too very much as the oldest AFIB online resource that really pioneered life-style risk reduction/integrative approach to help stack the deck more in one's favor in contrast to the typical SAD (Standard American Diet).

Better common sense diet combined with natural weight control from proper eating and exercise is certainly highly recommended by Afibbers,org as a one corner stone of better overall health and improved cardiovascular health in particular ... including often reduced arrhythmia burden.

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login