Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PNI After Catheter Ablation

Posted by DavrosT 
PNI After Catheter Ablation
December 17, 2018 05:15AM
Hi guys,

This is more just a query, rather than looking for a definite answer: what sort of time frame after catheter ablation does phrenic nerve injury occur? I only ask as, having read a few papers online I know it's something that does happen. But none of them go into much detail about how long after it occurs.

My assumption is it's during or immediately following. However, I'm currently suffering badly with severe breathing issues that are only getting worse and having spent 3 months sick off work and all kinds of tests and appointments, I'm no closer to finding out what caused this.There are other symptoms too, but the breathing issues are the most prominent and worrying for me, really.

I'm beginning to lean towards some sort of nerve damage, or a diaphragm issue. I had catheter ablation last June and my breathing problems started in July this year.

Thanks

Dt
Re: PNI After Catheter Ablation
December 17, 2018 10:28AM
Your assumption is correct. Phrenic nerve injury would be apparent immediately following or even during the procedure. It's a well known risk and EPs take steps during the procedure to monitor the phrenic nerve if they're ablating in places that could affect it. It seems very unlikely symptoms would appear a month later. Have you reported your breathing problems to the EP who did the procedure? There are a lot of possible causes for breathing difficulties, none of which should be ignored.
December 17, 2018 03:12PM
Yeah, suspected as much.

I have, they were one of my first stops but they seemed unconcerned unless anything showed on x ray or heart echo. Both were clear.

I've had CT, spirometry, gastroscopy, menometry and many other examinations. Nothing.

All if that would suggest there's nothing wrong with me!

PNI was just another straw one as clutching at but I thought it would occur immediately, rather than be a delayed reaction.
December 17, 2018 09:44PM
If you've had a full workup that found nothing but your symptoms persist, I would suggest starting from ground zero. Ask your PCP for a basic physical. There might be something basic that everyone is missing because of a forest-and-trees problem. It shouldn't be all that hard to find the cause of a shortness of breath problem, so start over.
December 17, 2018 10:04PM
DavrosT, I was getting my daily dose of new research articles and came across a couple of articles that may be related to your situation:

Treatment for undiagnosed cause of chest pain

Spontaneous Coronary Slow-Flow

I hope this helps.
December 17, 2018 10:59PM
Also, From personal experience, Anxiety will cause major SOB.
December 18, 2018 05:55AM
Thanks all, I'll look into your suggestions. Apologies this has veered away from afib slightly. It was originally an afib-related question though!
December 24, 2018 02:26AM
I had issues with breathing as well right around the same time as an AFib attack. The breathing issues were quite severe and scary. Turns out the issue was gerd. Drinking black tea especially. All kinds of tests just like you and in the end after a round of PPIs the issue went away. Now I realize that aside from dehydration, eating issues trigger my AFib. Try googling pseudo-dypsnea. Also maybe try some strong PPIs for a week just to rule it out?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login