Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you get past the initial feeling of doom

Posted by katesshadow 
How do you get past the initial feeling of doom
December 11, 2018 05:22PM
Diagnosed with Afib 2 weeks ago. Started at 11pm at night. I thought I was having an anxiety attack and tried to ride it out. By 7AM, I was so upset I was lightheaded. My husband took me to ER and when the doc said "You're in Afib." I had no idea what that meant. A little while after we arrived, my heart returned to normal rhythm. At first I was told they would send me home with an aspirin a day, but the cardiologist on duty said that since they knew NOTHING about me, he wanted to keep overnight and make sure that I had not had a heart attack.

Blood tests were great. Cholesterol, glucose, etc. were perfect.. Echocardiogram showed no blockages. Stress test was incomplete because I threw up from the meds.

Now, my BP was high and they were never able to get it to come down to a good number. (I have major anxiety, but have never taken any type of medication.) I do think my BP has been high for awhile, but I always thought I could deal with it (guess not).

I have been prescribed BP meds and Eliquis.

Now I can't seem to settle down with this diagnosis. Every little feeling I have makes me think I'm going to go into Afib. My BP has been really good (due to the medication).

I have started the treadmill again. I want to lose about 20 pounds.

But I know I need to calm down. I have a lot of stress, and i feel like it all came to a head that night.

Any words of wisdom?
Joe
Re: How do you get past the initial feeling of doom
December 11, 2018 05:44PM
If you can loose 20 lb it sounds like your BMI is on the high side? I think you are on the right track there (exercise and diet?).

FWIW, a good friend in her 50s had consistent high BP. Doctor prescribed meds but she didn't like the 'side' effects.
So, she began having fresh vegetable juice, at first once per day and later only a few times/week. Her BP settled to normal without meds within a few weeks (her BMI is and was low to begin with). That was a few years ago and her BP is till good.
BTW, i think green vege smoothies would be better because it retains fiber. Alternatively, cold press extracted (i think that's important) vege juice with some of the fiber added back could be ok as well.
December 11, 2018 07:01PM
Stress is your mortal enemy right now because stress is the mortal enemy of afib. Until you can get your stress under control with weight loss, exercise, and more natural methods, a light dose of an anti-anxiety med would probably be helpful for you. Your PCP should be able to prescribe something. No need for a psychiatrist.

I don't know how much you know about afib, but you might start with this. I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Mandrola but I do think this article is helpful for people new to afib. https://www.drjohnm.org/2014/02/13-things-to-know-about-atrial-fibrillation-treatment/
December 11, 2018 07:29PM
Yes. BMI is in "overweight" range, so definitely losing weight would be great. Thanks for your suggestions too!
December 11, 2018 07:32PM
That was a great article. Thanks! One thing I noticed about the 2 different cardio doctors I've seen is that they have no bedside manner.

I certainly appreciate honesty, but telling a person who already thinks that Afib is a death sentence that they may have had a heart attack doesn't seem like a great idea.

I've known for awhile that I need to get a handle on my stress. Thank you so much for your reply.
December 11, 2018 09:23PM
Yep.

Stress = afib = stress = afib... You get the idea.

ERs are crappy places to treat AF, so take nothing away from what you experienced there. Find a good cardiologist whom you can trust and who will listen. Don’t be afraid to fire one or more along the way. As time goes on, you may want to partner with an EP for treatment. Ignore everything but experience when and if it comes to ablation. I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen by any means at all.

It’s a journey.

We’re here to help.
December 12, 2018 02:33AM
The feeling of doom really sucks. I was diagnosed in May, my situation sounds pretty much like yours. I opted to go the ablation route, and had my ablation on Sept. 10.
I feel a million percent better now. I have my follow up appointment today and all was good, they even let me quit the blood thinners! Now I'm hoping that 'fixed' really sticks, and am trying to improve my BP and weight. (Well maybe the later is a fantasy since I suck at loosing weight)
My advice is to find a good EP to access your options. I kind wondered if I rushed into ablation, but I'm sure glad I did because I feel so much better!

Another thought on the feeling of doom... While it's commonly thought that an anxiety triggers AFib... I got the feeling that for me the AFib triggered anxiety. I got a hand held monitor and it supported this notion. When I felt suddenly anxious my heart was usually pretty wacky, and sometimes I'd feel oodly calm and when I'd check my heart then my monitor read "no abnormal"

Good luck to you... It us a shitty place to be in, both physically and mentally.
December 12, 2018 08:05AM
Thanks Wolfpack!

We are leaving for Disneyworld on Sunday. When I asked the cardiologist, she said "No problem" that I should be able to ride anything.

But......she added it might bring on an episode of afib.

Yikes.

Which, I didn't even ask what I was supposed to do if it did???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 08:09AM by katesshadow.
December 12, 2018 08:10AM
All the cardiologist told me was take meds, exercise and try to lose a few pounds. Never mentioned ablation, etc.

I can lose the weight, but I'm not going to seriously try until after the holidays.

Glad you're feeling better. That is encouraging.
Ken
December 12, 2018 10:04AM
It's easy to say relax, it's no big deal to have afib, but for many, it does significantly impact their life. However, I had afib for 11 years and had over 300 episodes that lasted from a couple of hours to three days. All converted back to normal rhythm on their own (early on, I had one cardioversion, but after that, no reason to do any more since I always converted back).

I have always been in excellent physical condition, so the afib had little impact on my lifestyle. If in afib, I chose to not work out, but that was pretty much it.

The point is - do the suggested things mentioned above, keep researching about afib on this site, take a deep breath and know that it's manageable and possibly fixable through diet, supplements or ablation. I finally had a successful ablation 12 years ago.
December 12, 2018 12:16PM
Follow your cardiologist's advice, and also find and start a relationship with an electrophysiologist. Watch your alcohol intake, consider the supplements of magnesium and taurine and be sure you get plenty of potassium in your diet. Stay hydrated. And no matter what, get tested for sleep apnea, whether you think you have it or not. There is a direct relationship between obstructive sleep apnea and afib. And an occasional benzodiazepine for the anxiety is very helpful.
December 12, 2018 02:44PM
bolimasa
I kind wondered if I rushed into ablation

I'm not sure it's even possible to rush into ablation with an experienced and renowned EP such as yours. Don't lose a wink of sleep over that.

bolimasa
Another thought on the feeling of doom... While it's commonly thought that an anxiety triggers AFib... I got the feeling that for me the AFib triggered anxiety

That's common. You weren't imagining anything.
December 12, 2018 02:51PM
katesshadow
Thanks Wolfpack!

We are leaving for Disneyworld on Sunday. When I asked the cardiologist, she said "No problem" that I should be able to ride anything.

But......she added it might bring on an episode of afib.

Yikes.

Which, I didn't even ask what I was supposed to do if it did???

Your original post said you were on BP meds and Eliquis. Is that it? What are the BP meds? I'd ask for a beta blocker, such as metoprolol (assuming that's not the BP med that you mentioned), for rate control if you did find yourself in an AF episode while firmly imprisoned inside a Disney park smiling smiley. You could just pop a pill if needed to get things under control temporarily. Do you know what your rate was during your prior AF episode?
December 12, 2018 06:41PM
I don't know what my rate was.

I was prescribed Norvasc 5mg then she added a combination beta blocker and diuretic since the Norvasc alone was not doing the job. Heart rate now averages 55-60 and BP is good.

Never taken medication before so I have to make sure I remember to take it!
December 12, 2018 08:09PM
katesshadow
Never taken medication before so I have to make sure I remember to take it!

Got a smartphone? Set alarms that recur every day at the appropriate times. That's what I do.
December 13, 2018 01:53AM
My doc is very pro ablation. He's authored a number of recent papers on the subject. I feel quite fortunate that we have such a good EP here, and that's who I got refered to. My AFib burden was not very high, but I was out of rhythm most of time. It bothered me, but really didn't realize how bad I felt until after I got fixed. I feel really lucky that you was able to have the procedure. Now I'm just
ust crossing my fingers that it sticks.
December 13, 2018 08:51AM
Question. I assume that you can tell by your pulse if you are in AFib? I see that many hear have their own monitors. I have a (bad) habit of checking my neck several times a day. If my pulse is regular, that means I'm not in AFib, right? Sorry I'm sure that seems like dumb question.
December 13, 2018 10:29AM
Yes, you can diagnose AF just by checking your pulse. AF is "irregularly irregular". It'll be something like beat, beat, beat, pause, beat, beat, pause, beat, beat, beat, beat, pause. It won't be something like beat, pause, beat, pause, beat, pause or beat, beat, pause, beat, beat, pause or anything else that has a distinct pattern to it. AF is quite random in terms of when the beats occur.

So, to answer your question, any regular pulse is not AF. It might not be a normal rhythm, however, just not AF.

A Kardia monitor, if you can afford it, is an excellent choice and very easy to use, They are about $100. I'd skip on the subscription service that they apparently now try to sell along with it and just print or email any rhythm strips that I wanted to keep.
Ken
December 13, 2018 01:53PM
A normal carotid pulse feels regular and easy to count. An afib carotid pulse is significantly different - fast and very irregular and very hard to count. For some, it's very easy to know when you are in or out of afib. However, that's not the case for many. I have a friend in her upper 70's and is overweight. She never knows when she is in or out of afib.
December 13, 2018 03:21PM
Thanks for the info everyone
December 13, 2018 04:17PM
When I was diagnosed with afib a little over 10 years ago it hit me hard emotionally and my stress level was off the charts. I still remember one doctor or nurse making some comment about it being a little harder to go to sleep when you have afib - I laughed and said I will NEVER sleep when this is happening to me! I literally sat around and did very little for about a month or two - always waiting for something to go wrong, always feeling nervous and that doom you mentioned. Well, once they figured out the right combo of meds I stopped having afib and started getting back to my life. Unfortunately the meds make me gain weight at a significant rate so my quality of life has taken a big hit over those 10 years. That is why I went for my ablation last week - to reclaim my life. I told Dr. D'Souza that I probably should have done an ablation a long time ago, however, he said the advances they had just made in the past couple years have been very significant and that my timing was great.

So, to answer you question plainly - it just took time. Between one and two months.

If the meds are having a negative impact on your quality of life and you are a good candidate for an ablation - go for it!
December 13, 2018 04:54PM
Thank you. I've been looking at some other threads on the Board and freaking out a bit 😳

I had no Idea about Afib. All I knew was from the commercials on TV.

All the cardiologist told me was take your meds, lose a little weight and exercise.

I was initially relieved because all my numbers were good (except blood pressure) and no heart disease or blockages.

Now I'm realizing this is something I need to pay attention to.

This stinks but I'm hoping I'll settle down because it sure won't help me if I don't.
December 13, 2018 06:38PM
Here is an interesting article about eliminating afib: [drjohnday.com]
December 13, 2018 09:35PM
Jons
Here is an interesting article about eliminating afib: [drjohnday.com]

Thank you so much - this is a very encouraging site!
December 13, 2018 10:04PM
katesshadow
Now I'm realizing this is something I need to pay attention to.

Yes.

You control a-fib or it controls you. The good news is, a-fib is controllable.
December 14, 2018 01:02AM
What wolfpack said.
December 14, 2018 09:28AM
Thanks friends.
December 14, 2018 01:37PM
AB Page
Follow your cardiologist's advice, and also find and start a relationship with an electrophysiologist. Watch your alcohol intake, consider the supplements of magnesium and taurine and be sure you get plenty of potassium in your diet. Stay hydrated. And no matter what, get tested for sleep apnea, whether you think you have it or not. There is a direct relationship between obstructive sleep apnea and afib. And an occasional benzodiazepine for the anxiety is very helpful.

Occasional Benzodiazepine is a Key Phrase. I was given Ativan to help with my Anxiety in 2012. At one point, I was taken 2 mg 3x a day. After a couple of weeks, I was “dependent” on this horrible drug. Fast forward to present; I am still struggling with kicking this drug. I have been tapering Klonopin. I was switched from Ativan to Klonopin because Klonopin has a much longer half life by a shrink. I was given 1 mg Klonopin 3x a day. It eventually was not enough because the body tolerance goes up. So to get off this nightmare benzodiazepine, I started an anti depressant Prozac. It took 8 weeks for Prozac to be really effective but in the last 18 months I am down from 3-4 mg of Klonopin a day to 1 1/4 a day. It’s a very slow tapering process but I could not do it without 20 mg Prozac daily. My goal is to have Klonopin out of my life by Jan 2020 then I will work on the Prozac.
Benzodiazepines are a BEAST. Getting off the Fentanyl Patch for chronic pain was a small adventure compared to Benzodiazepines.
Be Careful.
December 14, 2018 02:31PM
I was reading a thread on reddit a while back about various types of addictions. Most of the people posting were actually drug dealers, and they all agreed to that benzo addictions were the worst. Many said breaking a heroin addiction is easier than breaking a benzo addiction.
December 14, 2018 03:24PM
Someone above suggested taking a beta blocker if I happen to go into Afib at Disney.

I am taking one every day for BP.

I assuming that helps prevent an episode?

Would I take another one?

Hoping not to worry about it lol
December 14, 2018 07:02PM
smackman

Benzodiazepines are a BEAST. Getting off the Fentanyl Patch for chronic pain was a small adventure compared to Benzodiazepines.
Be Careful.

I've posted this before I think, but it's worth posting the link again:

BENZODIAZEPINES: HOW THEY WORK
AND HOW TO WITHDRAW

[www.benzo.org.uk]

I have a little history with this myself. If I had to choose again, I'd still take a benzo to attack the anxiety. Anxiety can be just as formidable a beast.
December 14, 2018 09:25PM
katesshadow
Someone above suggested taking a beta blocker if I happen to go into Afib at Disney.

It does not.

A beta blocker is a rate control medication. It slows your heart down. AF is very chaotic, but in a broad sense the atria are probably trying to go at something like 300 beats per minute when fibrillating. Fortunately the heart has an “electrical junction box” in between the atria and the ventricles called the AV node. It doesn’t conduct every single errant pulse from the upper chambers (atria) to the lower chambers (ventricles). If the ventricles tried to beat 300 times per minute you’d fall over and die. In AF, the AV node is going to conduct about 2:1 on average. So your ventricular rate will average something like 150. This is uncomfortable but not life threatening. Over time, however, this inappropriate rate will lead to a thickening of the heart muscle and heart failure. So you take a beta blocker to reduce the rate. Anything under 100 and your risk of heart failure pretty much goes to zero. That’s the rationale behind rate control. Of course, when you’re not in AF then the beta will make your normal resting pulse even lower which may make you feel tired or less able to engage in daily activities.

Another class of drugs, called anti-arrhythmics (AARs), try to keep the heart in normal rhythm. In other words, prevent an episode. Rate control is almost always used in conjunction with AARs. AARs are a bit more complicated and require you and your cardiologist or electrophysiologist (EP) to get to know each other well enough to make the proper choices. Common first line AARs are Propafenone and flecainide. They are the most benign of the bunch. Up from those are drugs like Tikosyn. Those generally require a hospital stay to start. Atop the list is the nuclear option called amiodarone. That one, in my opinion, is to be avoided at all costs. It has very nasty side effects, some of them fatal. If you ever run across a practitioner who wants to go straight to amiodarone, I suggest you go straight out the door.
December 15, 2018 11:26AM
wolfpack

It does not.

A beta blocker is a rate control medication. It slows your heart down. AF is very chaotic, but in a broad sense the atria are probably trying to go at something like 300 beats per minute when fibrillating. Fortunately the heart has an “electrical junction box” in between the atria and the ventricles called the AV node. It doesn’t conduct every single errant pulse from the upper chambers (atria) to the lower chambers (ventricles). If the ventricles tried to beat 300 times per minute you’d fall over and die. In AF, the AV node is going to conduct about 2:1 on average. So your ventricular rate will average something like 150. This is uncomfortable but not life threatening. Over time, however, this inappropriate rate will lead to a thickening of the heart muscle and heart failure. So you take a beta blocker to reduce the rate. Anything under 100 and your risk of heart failure pretty much goes to zero. That’s the rationale behind rate control. Of course, when you’re not in AF then the beta will make your normal resting pulse even lower which may make you feel tired or less able to engage in daily activities.

Another class of drugs, called anti-arrhythmics (AARs), try to keep the heart in normal rhythm. In other words, prevent an episode. Rate control is almost always used in conjunction with AARs. AARs are a bit more complicated and require you and your cardiologist or electrophysiologist (EP) to get to know each other well enough to make the proper choices. Common first line AARs are Propafenone and flecainide. They are the most benign of the bunch. Up from those are drugs like Tikosyn. Those generally require a hospital stay to start. Atop the list is the nuclear option called amiodarone. That one, in my opinion, is to be avoided at all costs. It has very nasty side effects, some of them fatal. If you ever run across a practitioner who wants to go straight to amiodarone, I suggest you go straight out the door.

I was not prescribed an anti-arrhythmic. The doc seemed more concerned with my BP. I am taking Norvasc (5mg) and a combo of bisoprosol and diuretic. My rate is pretty consistent at 55-60.

My BP almost always runs high when I am stressed - so the entire time I was in Afib, at the ER and even at my follow-up doctor appt., it was elevated. It's hard to tell what my real BP is since some can be attributed to white coat. Either way, high is high. It is in a good range now, but I want to get it there without the drugs.

I have a friend who takes flecainide because she said her heart has many many extra beats. She insists that my AF and her issue are not related. But, if she did not take it, would she not run the risk of AFib? (I have no idea.....like I've said, this is all new to me.)

Thanks for your informative post.
December 15, 2018 07:11PM
katesshadow
I have a friend who takes flecainide because she said her heart has many many extra beats. She insists that my AF and her issue are not related. But, if she did not take it, would she not run the risk of AFib? (I have no idea.....like I've said, this is all new to me.)

It sounds like she's taking it to control PVCs. If that's the case then she's right that her issue is completely unrelated to yours.
December 15, 2018 07:17PM
Best thing for your BP is just to get a meter from the drugstore or Walmart and take daily measurements at fixed times. You’ll quickly see what your real BP is without the white coat effect.

What type of diuretic? You might want I ask for a potassium sparing one. HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) is notorious for shedding potassium, if in fact that’s what you’re on.

As for your friend on flec, without knowing anything about her case I just couldn’t offer an opinion. It’s good, though, that you know someone who takes the medication. You’ll have someone to share experiences with should you yourself wind up on the same drug.
December 26, 2018 05:27PM
Kate I know the feeling of doom and still suffer it occasionally even after 15 years of AF 4-5 times a month.

I usually feel that way when I have a particularly difficult episode with severe chest pain and dizziness and very high HR - >180. If the episodes are "quieter" I'm not so stressed.

My strategy when I feel that way is to self talk myself, I tell myself, "relax stress makes it worse,It's JUST AF" I put on some good music or watch a movie or call the grandkids, anything to distract me.

Having said that I am aware of the associated risks of AF so I also keep a record of my events, like BP, use a Kardia device so I can take to my EP, and just note down how I felt prior to, during and after the event.

A good EP is essential and I believe a lot of Drs don't really understand AF

Enjoy your holiday cool smiley
December 26, 2018 07:28PM
JoyWin
I believe a lot of Drs don't really understand AF

They don’t. And it’s more than a lot, it’s most.

The search for the right combo of cardio and EP is just absolutely key for successful AF treatment. Go to the cardio for bedside manner and the EP for raw, hands-down skill.
December 27, 2018 01:56PM
Thanks for the replies. I made it through Disney with no incidents other than pretty much fearing an episode 24/7. I also missed out on the best rides because I didn't want to chance triggering an episode.

I wish thus Afib thing was a bad dream. I cannot believe that I have to spend the rest of my life dealing with this. I know it could be much worse. My own sister, who is 4 years younger than me is dealing with early onset dementia and lung cancer. First person in our family with dementia (including parents. Grandparents etc) And she has never smoked, had a drink or any of the risk factors for kung cancer. (Because of her dementia she has no idea shes sick)

So I know I need to buck up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login