Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Date set - where did you stay while in Austin

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Date set - where did you stay while in Austin
November 28, 2018 06:36PM
Hi Friends -
Please let me know where you stayed in Austin and why you chose the place you stayed.
We are flying and wevdon’t want to rent a car. We will use a Shuttle service or Uber
We also want a separate bedroom with a good breakfast included or a place close by to get a good breakfast.
Please add anything else you feel is helpful from your experience
Thank you
Ally
Re: Date set - where did you stay while in Austin
November 28, 2018 08:51PM
I just uber from airport. I stay at the little hotel across the street for st David's. It's like a days inn or something. Good breakfast spot next door. I'll try find name. It's nothing fancy but walk distance.
November 28, 2018 09:44PM
I stayed at the Holiday Inn short distance from St. Davids. Used Lyft the entire time I was there.
November 28, 2018 10:56PM
How does the scheduling process work? Do thiey assign a firm date for surgery? Has communication been good in pre surgery instructions?

Good luck and can't wait to hear about how it went!!

Please do let us know where you end up staying

I'm probably not far behind yousmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 11:04PM by Kleinkp.
November 29, 2018 01:09PM
I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza every visit. Friendly, helpful staff, decent food and room service. Pappasitos and Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen both right next door with excellent Tex-Mex and seafood. Short Uber from the airport and to St David's. Solid, consistent wi-fi (use a VPN).
November 29, 2018 04:01PM
Kleinkp
How does the scheduling process work? Do thiey assign a firm date for surgery? Has communication been good in pre surgery instructions?

Yes, they assign you a firm date for the procedure, and they send you all the information you need well in advance. If you're doing it all in one trip, you should expect a four-day stay. On day 1 they do a chest CT and bloodwork. Day 2 is the procedure with an overnight stay. Then they recommend that you remain in Austin for the following two days.

For anyone flying in, I highly recommend flying in early on the day before so if there are flight delays or cancellations you've got a chance of getting on another flight that day. Thanks to flight delays I came within 5 minutes of missing the last connecting flight of the evening.
November 29, 2018 06:13PM
Carey

Yes, they assign you a firm date for the procedure, and they send you all the information you need well in advance. If you're doing it all in one trip, you should expect a four-day stay. On day 1 they do a chest CT and bloodwork. Day 2 is the procedure with an overnight stay. Then they recommend that you remain in Austin for the following two days.

For anyone flying in, I highly recommend flying in early on the day before so if there are flight delays or cancellations you've got a chance of getting on another flight that day. Thanks to flight delays I came within 5 minutes of missing the last connecting flight of the evening.

I concur that you should arrive early for the reasons stated and as a stress reliever. Also be sure to check on discounted flights for medical travel. I saved a good deal of money doing this.
November 29, 2018 09:28PM
rocketritch
Also be sure to check on discounted flights for medical travel. I saved a good deal of money doing this.

Now you tell me!

How do you find those flights?
Anonymous User
November 29, 2018 10:32PM
Following the medical flight discount rate...
November 30, 2018 05:02AM
Carey

Also be sure to check on discounted flights for medical travel. I saved a good deal of money doing this.

Now you tell me!

How do you find those flights?

While chatting with the flight agent I mentioned the reason for my flight. It was at that point she brought up the special rate. I cant remember how much it saved but it was better than nothing. I even made a change to my return flight and it only cost me $25 per ticket to change it.

I flew with Delta.

2-/MEDICAL - DL ONLY-/CHANGES PERMIT

This ticket is non-refundable unless the original ticket was issued at a fully refundable fare. Some fares may not allow changes. If allowed, any change to your itinerary may require payment of a change fee and increased fare. Failure to appear for any flight without notice to Delta will result in cancellation of your remaining reservation.
November 30, 2018 12:18PM
ajr1960
Hi Friends -
Please let me know where you stayed in Austin and why you chose the place you stayed.
We are flying and wevdon’t want to rent a car. We will use a Shuttle service or Uber
We also want a separate bedroom with a good breakfast included or a place close by to get a good breakfast.
Please add anything else you feel is helpful from your experience
Thank you
Ally

There are numerous good hotel options available around the I 35/US 290 intersection area. It is from about 5 to 15 minutes from St. Davids depending on the time of day (traffic), Unless it has changed several offer a discount for staying at St. Davids.
November 30, 2018 06:16PM
JAYHAWK
There are numerous good hotel options available around the I 35/US 290 intersection area. It is from about 5 to 15 minutes from St. Davids depending on the time of day (traffic), Unless it has changed several offer a discount for staying at St. Davids.

There are, and they're cheaper than downtown hotels, but be aware that you won't have many food choices within walking distance, if any. You'll be well away from shopping, food, and pretty much anything else to do and will have to Lyft/Uber/cab or rent a car everywhere you go. I've stayed in Austin four times, and I stayed in one of those the first time, but after that I spent a bit more and stayed downtown near St. David's and the UT campus. Lots of stuff to see and do, and plenty of food choices within easy walking distance.

I stayed at the Days Inn right across I-35 from St. David's once. It's super convenient and inexpensive, but it needed an upgrade 10 years ago. It was clean, but that's about all I can say for it. The carpet was worn and ratty, and one of the beds in my room had broken springs and was unusable. A real shame because otherwise it would be the perfect choice. St. David's should buy it and renovate it.
November 30, 2018 11:55PM
Hi Ally,

My dad had an extensive ablation with Dr. Natale in March of this year. He is 80 years old and was in persistent atrial fibrillation for 4 years prior to his ablation. Best decision ever! My dad said it was "nothing but fun" for him and he said he had no pain.
We stayed in the Residence Inn Austin-University Area and were happy there and will stay there again if returning. The reason I picked it was because prior to the ablation my dad was in a very weakened condition due to the a fib, and basically had to just sleep a lot before the ablation due to the constant a fib, so I wanted a place we could stay put and he could rest a lot and have all his food and his own bathroom etc, while we were there. It had two separate bedrooms. Each bedroom had its own tv and bathroom. And there was a full kitchen, full oven, full refrigerator, and microwave. The full kitchen was helpful because my dad is a picky eater, and this way he could prepare the regular foods he likes. Free wifi. There was a terrific free breakfast buffet that was amazing. Location was close to HEB for grocery shopping, and was close to St. David's. We did have a rental car though. But you could easily use Lyft or Uber, in fact I saw a Lyft ad in the hotel lobby one could call. Room was discounted through AAA. The morning of the ablation, we had to be there at 5 am. The drive to St. David's was easy, drove directly on the feeder road and never had to get on the freeway. Best wishes with your ablation!
December 06, 2018 08:11PM
How far out is he booking for the procedure? Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login