Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breathing, breath holds, afib & WPW

Posted by GeorgeN 
Breathing, breath holds, afib & WPW
November 27, 2018 05:10PM
In June I posted this account of converting an episode of afib using an exhaled breath hold <[www.afibbers.org] I also linked this sheep paper showing how the sheep had immunity from induced afib when they were breathing an increased concentration of CO2 <[sci-hub.tw] Last week made connection via email with an afibber that I hadn't chatted with in a great while. I passed on the breath hold conversion post. He passed my info to his sister who has both Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) and afib. She responded:

"When I had Wolff-Parkinson-White breath holding to increase the CO2 level would consistently and very reliably stop an attack. I’ve never been able to stop an attack of Afib with the same breath holding. However, I had a friend over to stay from Toronto where she owns a Yoga Church (she bought a disused church and converted it into a yoga studio) and she spent a lot of time teaching me breathing techniques. Diaphragm breathing, consistently, no chest breathing. That helps me ENORMOUSLY. By not inflating the rib cage I’m not irritating the lining of the heart which in turn is less irritating for the heart rhythm. A sharp intake of breath or talking too much can bring on Afib for me as it “irritates” the heart lining."

I found this very interesting and thought I'd pass it on.

George
Joe
Re: Breathing, breath holds, afib & WPW
November 27, 2018 08:28PM
Interesting indeed!
Saw the Cardiologist/EP today and asked him about breathing, how it affects blood pH, if it would/could slow down/alter cell depolarization.

He simply doesn't know and was never deeply into cellular level theories. He could put me onto people who are. These people generally become professors and do research on animals etc.!
November 28, 2018 03:59PM
I can honestly say nothing but ECV would convert me. I guess I am just a different type. Lol
December 05, 2018 05:42PM
I should have said in my last message, that I am scheduled for an echo gram on Monday and appreciate the information from this site about the readings. I will definitely go to the test better informed. I don’t know if anyone has a tried a technique to self convert afib by ‘bearing down’. Make sure you have an empty bowel first and bear down, holding for a few seconds, then repeat a few times; repeating for about 5-10 times, then rest. I have been having weekly afib attacks and cannot have conversion because of my pacemaker but have found this to lessen the extreme flutter and irregular beating for awhile. It still takes me 3 days to self convert but perhaps this method might be of some help to speed the process up for some of you.
December 05, 2018 05:43PM
I should have said in my last message, that I am scheduled for an echo gram on Monday and appreciate the information from this site about the readings. I will definitely go to the test better informed. I don’t know if anyone has a tried a technique to self convert afib by ‘bearing down’. Make sure you have an empty bowel first and bear down, holding for a few seconds, then repeat a few times; repeating for about 5-10 times, then rest. I have been having weekly afib attacks and cannot have conversion because of my pacemaker but have found this to lessen the extreme flutter and irregular beating for awhile. It still takes me 3 days to self convert but perhaps this method might be of some help to speed the process up for some of you.:
December 05, 2018 07:38PM
Bobby:

Have you tried a Pill in the pocket route? Take an anti-arrhythmic drug, chew it and drink warm water that has always shorten the time for me being in AF.

Liz
December 06, 2018 01:03PM
Bobby
I don’t know if anyone has a tried a technique to self convert afib by ‘bearing down’.

Bearing down is a vagal maneuver. Vagal maneuvers will slow the heart rate. For afib conversion, vagal maneuvers can work for those with an adrenergic trigger, but are unlikely to work for those with a vagal trigger. Here is a list of other vagal maneuvers, but avoid trying carotid massage <[www.webmd.com] and another list, with overlap: <[acls.com]

George
December 06, 2018 05:17PM
Thank you George. Very interesting about the food to avoid....I didn’t know about some of them. I do have cardiovascular disease so maybe won’t do the Vagal maneuvers until I talk to my doctor.
Bettyann
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login