Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

York Cardiology

Posted by tsco 
York Cardiology
November 23, 2018 04:30PM
Has anyone followed or read postings from a Dr. Sanjay Gupta at York Cardiology? Most of his stuff is found on Facebook or YouTube. My main statement/question here is , he has posted he will announce a new medicine on some app (?) soon, revealing a new medication that stops 95% of all ectopic beats.
My inclination is ..... Hoax ???
Re: York Cardiology
November 23, 2018 07:55PM
I have saved most of Dr. Gupta’s Youtube segments.

Here it is:

[m.youtube.com]
November 23, 2018 07:57PM
Ranolazine for Afib:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
November 23, 2018 08:07PM
I just read your entire post. Seriousely, there is nothing hoaxish about Dr. Gupta. Do some snooping about his background.
November 23, 2018 08:12PM
Awesome Catherine, thank you very much yes he offers a lot of great videos!
November 23, 2018 09:37PM
Sanjay recommends Ranolazine, it is used for angina, not a new drug. I read that a short study was used--2000 mg. of Ranolazine was given to those that were in AF and if their AF was terminated within 6 hours its use was a success, nothing new, flecemide does the same thing. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

l
November 23, 2018 09:47PM
Not really....Flecainide effects the ventricles and can come with some nasty side effects. If you watch his actual video he is
Talking about its effectiveness in reducing ectopics ve termination of af. It sounded like maybe it may become a good option...early yes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2018 09:52PM by tsco.
November 23, 2018 10:46PM
Gupta talks about PVCs, I take magnesium and very seldom get pvcs. was this study out around 2016?
November 24, 2018 07:21AM
Granted, the study for Ranolazine for ectopics was a small one; however the results looked promising.

To Tsco’s point, Flaicinide has some nasty side effects, Ranolazine does not. Possibly, headache and constipation - the latter would be just fine to stave off magnesium side effects.
Ken
November 24, 2018 10:02AM
Elizabeth said: Sanjay recommends Ranolazine, it is used for angina, not a new drug. I read that a short study was used--2000 mg. of Ranolazine was given to those that were in AF and if their AF was terminated within 6 hours its use was a success, nothing new, flecemide does the same thing. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The majority of my afib episodes terminated within 6 hours by doing nothing.
November 24, 2018 02:04PM
I’ve posted about Ranolazine before - e.g. from 11 months ago:

“mwcf
Re: Health Effects of Coleus Forskohlii
December 14, 2017 06:07AM Registered: 5 years ago

Interesting!

I guess channel blockers like Diltiazem might also to some small degree be preventative against Alzheimers.

Having had twice above top of range IC Ca when I had an Exa test a few years ago, I'm also interested in Ranolazine as preventative against Ca overload intracellularly both for heart and brain. My EP will give me a prescription for Ranolazine and I'm confident - albeit off-ticket - that the reason it has some success as an AAD is due not only to it's Na blocking properties but also - and maybe more so - its late Ca-blocking properties.No ProArr risk with Ranolazine either.”

Never tried it but might if I need to.
November 24, 2018 02:53PM
Ken said:

The majority of my afib episodes terminated within 6 hours by doing nothing.

Exactly, no big deal about Ranolazine

liz
November 24, 2018 04:44PM
UH...........it may be a big deal if your episodes NEVER terminate in 6 hours...... Come on peops, stay positive
November 24, 2018 08:34PM
I concur with tsco.

It is interesting what Mike posted on calcium. I know that increasing calcium intake from food caused my normally good control to deteriorate and reducing it improved control. If it is relatively benign for other side effects, It might be worth experimenting with.

George
November 24, 2018 09:31PM
George you said that you ate a lot of cheese, you believe it was the calcium in the cheese that caused your AF, maybe it was something else in the cheese, don't know just asking. I eat a little cheese most days and it doesn't seem to affect me, I eat Mozzarella only.

Liz
November 24, 2018 09:53PM
Elizabeth
George you said that you ate a lot of cheese, you believe it was the calcium in the cheese that caused your AF, maybe it was something else in the cheese, don't know just asking. I eat a little cheese most days and it doesn't seem to affect me, I eat Mozzarella only.

Liz, It is always possible. I was going through a divorce and stress eating wheels of brie. It took me 18 months before I started rereading the archives and conference room here and papers on Pub Med. I realized what an impact calcium could have. The quantity of calcium was material for me compared with my other Ca intake. When I quit the cheese, my control returned to pre divorce levels. For most of the 18 months I assuemd it was divorce stress and I could do nothing about it. In fact I was planning a trip to Austin to see Dr. N. After the stress of the divorce had subsided, I took the time to go back and do what I did when I first had afib - read everything and leave no stone unturned. My motto is, "if something isn't working, do something different."

I'm not saying this is an issue for you or anyone else. It was for me. In March of 2017, I did a two week diet analysis on cronometer.com, weighing all my food with a gram scale. In that analysis, it showed my calcium intake was between 500 and 600 mg/day from food (and none in supplements). According to diet standards that is low. In September 2017, I did a DXA scan for bone density and muscle/fat mass. My "t score" was 0.3. This means my bone density was 0.3 standard deviations greater than a 30 year old of my sex (male). Meaning good. My body fat on each limb and torso was in the 1st percentile for my age, even though my BMI is 24, so not a stick.

George
November 26, 2018 03:13AM
Catherine
I have saved most of Dr. Gupta’s Youtube segments.

Here it is:

[m.youtube.com]

Those are very informative videos.
The one about ectopics and body positions describes the way most of my afib episodes use to appear.
November 26, 2018 06:34PM
Pompon, he does a beautiful job of explaining ectopics relative to our actions.

I get half a dozen kicks upon rising...4 fur babies to feed, all whining away, shoots up my adrenaline.
February 02, 2019 01:59AM
I think this is what you're referring to:
[www.prnewswire.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login