Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cpap

Posted by amyorca 
Cpap
November 16, 2018 01:13PM
I haven't posted for awhile cause I haven't had afib for several months. I have routinely taking magnesium, potassium, taurine, ubiquinel and Vit B Complex. One thing I have noticed is that the change of weather affects my heart. For instance, when winter begins to descend, I start having irregular heartbeats. I began having PACs again over the past couple of weeks. Twice in the last week i went from PACs to a run of afib. I was prescribed a cpap machine 6 months ago because i was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Both times when i started going into afib, I put on my cpap and was able to bring my heart rate down and went into normal rhythm in short order.
I have read before on here that trying different breathing techniques can help with stopping afib. I just wanted to share my experience with this cpap.
Re: Cpap
November 16, 2018 07:41PM
I'm glad you posted this. I am about to get a Cpap, and I never would have thought of using it to get into normal rhythm.
Thank you!
November 17, 2018 12:48AM
I luckily was at home and put it on at the beginning of the episode. Not sure how it would work if I was into an episode for a longer period of time before putting it on.
November 17, 2018 10:59AM
Reading how someone manages to stop an afib episode is always interesting news. I hope you'll repeat this positive experience.
I'm still struggling to find something that works for me.
My afib episodes are short but frequent, and they start and stop only when they want. I've just found a couple of ways to trigger afib, and of course I do my best to avoid them. But how to stop afib is still a mystery for me (despite I experienced 250+ episodes in less than 3 years).
November 17, 2018 11:29PM
I am very lucky in that the pattern of my afib episodes have been at intervals of approximately every 6 months or so. I had a period a year ago when they were almost every day for short bursts. In other words, random and unpredictable. Thank goodness they are not as frequent as you say yours are. If i had afib to the point where it was interfering In my everyday life, I would probably opt to get an ablation. I still have that option in the back if my mind if they become too much. As it is i am experimenting with ways to stay in NSR. Supplements every day, regular workout routine, V8 Juice, lower my stress levels, low carb diet, try to keep with mainly protein and veggies. Plus a new cpap machine for the past 6 months. My comfort level is at a much higher level when I am in NSR so my goal is to maintain that if I can.
November 18, 2018 09:35AM
I was wearing a CPAP before I went into AFIB and continue to wear one now. It never stopped my AFIB. What has currently stopped my AFIB is 2 Ablations by Dr. Natale.
November 18, 2018 01:37PM
I am just relaying my experience. I'm not saying that this is the answer. I have also had two afib attacks stop when I got angry. Not saying that's the answer. But I do think it has something to do with my breath. I tend to be a person who breathes shallowley at times and I hold my breath. Therefore I am trying to be more conscious of my breath. I do find yoga and exercise helps with this.
December 08, 2018 08:39AM
Why does the medical field react to OSA as if its a life sentence? I believe it rarely is. When I first had afib and nocturnal episodes, a sleep study was suggested. There is no doubt in my mind I would have failed it, as I believe most will. I declined to have one and instead researched how to naturally deal with my sleep issues. A few simple and not so simple, such as losing an extra 15 lbs and stopping caffeine and alcohol, remedies seemed to alleviate it most of the time. There is much misinformation from both sides on causes and treatments. My biggest concern for a CPAP is that as a symptom treatment only, it can become a "mask" for not only unhealthy lifestyles but possibly other serious underlying issues. Recently a good friend who has used CPAP for nearly 10 years found out his Thyroid was completely shot. Im not suggesting his mask caused this, but perhaps continual sleep issues gone untreated would have warranted further testing that may have caught it sooner. If your diagnosis is CSA instead of OSA, perhaps a mask is your only alternative, especially if it is imprinted on your nervous system. However you would still be ignoring the root cause of a possible past traumatic event which would warrant an emotional evaluation. Do doctors make that determination with a sleep study of physical or emotional? For some reason, this particular condition is generalized more than others. It is also apparent that once that mask is on the face of patients, most are hooked for life. Not for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login