Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New member/1st post

Posted by Mark 
New member/1st post
November 13, 2018 03:14PM
First off, thank you to the creators/moderators/posters of this forum.

Since finding this forum, I have a) started to take afib more seriously and b) have begun to learn more about this condition. I have tried to read through many of the threads going back quite a ways. Many of which are beyond by pay grade at this point. I would like to do a "my story" post in the hopes of moving forward on a and b above.

I am a male, 72 year old. I was first diagnosed with afib in December, 2017 during a pre-surgical work up. I was asymptomatic and feeling good at the time. I don't think I was in afib very long (48 hours or so) as I go to the wellness center regularly and check my blood pressure/pulse rate regularly. I was sent to the ER and was admitted for about 2 1/2 days during which time they tried to chemically get me to NSR. That didn't work, so they did a cardioversion (1 jolt at 200 whatever the measure). I was then placed on Flecainide and Eliquis--currently 50 mg and 5 mg 2x respectively. Other than fatigue and/or lack of energy, I do not seem to be experiencing much in the way of medication side Some days seem worse than others. Of course, if I could, I would prefer not to be on any meds as I do think the fatigue/lack of energy is or can be a quality of life issue particularly for someone who has been quite active throughout their life. I am scheduled for my 1 year review next month. To my knowledge, I have not had another episode since last December. I check my pulse at least once a day or more. Not sure I will buy the apple watch but will continue to monitor posts regarding that product.

I have a history of a TIA--22 years ago. At the time, I seemed to be experiencing a "foot drop" symtom like my foot had fallen asleep. It resolved in about 10 minutes but my wife felt that going to the ER was prudent and so I did. I was admitted even though by the time I got to the ER I pretty much had no symptoms other than some "mild hand drift" on the neurological screening. All diagnostics such as an MRI etc were normal. I'm not even sure about having a TIA as 3 of the 4 doctors who treated me questioned that diagnosis including my neurologist. But, the cardiologist won out. My admission was complicated by my heart rate dropping into the mid to high 30"s for several days. There was talk of a pace-maker etc. I have a somewhat low pulse rate to begin with 50/60. Anyway, the pulse rate issue resolved and I was discharged. I have a theory about the pulse rate issue and it has happened on at least one other occasion about 3 years ago during a CT procedure. It scared the the tech staff to no end who called in a doctor who thought I was having a heart attack and refused to release me until I has EKG. In my opinion, all this is related to the fact that my system does not react well to medical situations such as tests, blood draws, etc. I faint rather easily as my ophthalmologist will attest to. I'm not completely sure that my afib episode was not the result of stress/anxiety created during my pre-surgical work-up though I am the only who feels that way. Having the TIA diagnosis certainly has impacted my afib treatment and recommendations. I'm rambling.

I have read many posts about other vitamins/supplements and such that people take for their afib. I have inflammatory issues and things such as ibuprofen greatly enhance my well being greatly. Unfortunately, anti-inflammatories and Eliquis are not good dancing partners as most of you already know. At this point, my immediate goal is trying to generate questions which I can discuss at my doctor's visit in December. I don't think an ablation is in my future. Also, I'm probably one of those people whose risk score is 2 or above and the doctor probably will not want to remove any of my medications. Do people sometime come off the flecainide and stay on the Eliquis...or vice versa? What about the vitamins/supplements? Recently saw something on the evening national news about a prescription fish oil product (Vascepa, I think). I am curious about the Nato products vs Eliquis). From my forum readings, it seems that my treatment is pretty much vanilla and to be expected. But, I also have read posts where people who visit here have chosen to march to the beat of a different drummer. I'm just beginning to sort things out for myself--I think.

As I said, I am rambling. I have tried to brief and may have left out some clarifications etc. But, I think you get the idea. Thanks for reading.

[www.instituteforchronicpain.org]
Re: New member/1st post
November 13, 2018 03:26PM
"Do people sometime come off the flecainide and stay on the Eliquis...or vice versa?"

Sure. In your case, with the TIA, coming off the Eliquis is unlikely. Or at least being on some anticoagulant. The flec's purpose is to keep you in rhythm. You could take the risk of going off it and of going back into afib. With what you've described, it would likely take another electro cardioversion to convert you if you go into afib. If you were able to chemically cardiovert with the flec, then on-demand (or PIP - pill in pocket) flec could be an option. The chance of that working may not be high, with your past experience.

George
November 13, 2018 04:07PM
Welcome Walt. You'll find some friendly folks here as well as divergent opinions and sometimes passionately disparate beliefs. There are also some extremely intelligent and knowledgeable folks when it comes to afib and the heart and related issues. Keep reading and asking questions and you'll find yourself informed but you won't always find a concensus. Often times the path taken is the path less chosen, due to medical necessity, such as allergy, intolerance or other exception.

I hope your doctor is an electrophysiologist?
November 13, 2018 10:04PM
Are you taking only Flecainide and Eliquis? That’s a bit odd as flecainide is almost always prescribed with a beta blocker, such as metoprolol or something similar. If you are on a beta, that would explain the tiredness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login