Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ACs and kidney beans

Posted by wolfpack 
ACs and kidney beans
November 11, 2018 05:55PM
Weather’s getting cold and I made some chili, which got me thinking. That can be either good or bad. smiling smiley

Kidney beans, both red and white (also known as cannelloni), contain large amounts of the toxin Phytohaemagglutinin. If you don’t soak them and subsequently boil them for a minimum of 10 minutes then the toxin is not destroyed. Note that this applies only to dry beans that you purchase in a bag. The canned ones are precooked and are of no concern. To make matters worse, simply placing dry beans directly into a slow cooker will not only not destroy the toxin but rather increase it up to five-fold.

What does the medical science say about folks on anticoagulants and these foods? I haven’t seen much myself, nor did a search for “Phytohaemagglutinin” on this site reveal anything. Maybe a word like that confused the Bejeezus out of the search engine! My wordsmithery tells me it means something that can make blood clot, hence the question.
Re: ACs and kidney beans
November 11, 2018 06:44PM
You'll have the worst case of diarrhea imaginable, in addition to poisoning from the lectin. Don't know that it will be around long enough to effect coagulation.

note: It will kill rats, but for a different reason than coumadin smiling smiley .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 07:24PM by jpeters.
November 11, 2018 09:22PM
jpeters
You'll have the worst case of diarrhea imaginable, in addition to poisoning from the lectin. Don't know that it will be around long enough to effect coagulation.

I eat beans and never got diarrhea from them>:confused smiley I eat a lot of tomatoes also, I grow them and have them usually for close to 3 months, I can them make juice and sauce never gave me a problem. I think there is a lot of bs out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 09:26PM by Elizabeth.
November 11, 2018 09:31PM
Liz,

Are you saying you don't soak them and then boil them for 10 minutes or more?

George
November 11, 2018 09:50PM
George:

No, I usually do soak them overnight and if I don't do that then I will boil them for about 5 to 10 min. and let them soak for about an hour before I bake them. Sorry about the confusion.
November 12, 2018 12:24AM
Kidney beans are fine whether you soak them or not as long as you cook them adequately. Proper cooking destroys the toxin. The problem only happens when you cook kidney beans in slow cookers on low because that doesn't get hot enough to destroy the toxin.
November 12, 2018 12:09PM
P 254 of this document from the FDA (bad bug book) goes into Phytohaemagglutinin (kidney bean lectin) and its toxicity <[www.fda.gov]
November 13, 2018 08:25AM
I soak and drain mine 3 or 4 times in the soaking process 6 plus hrs most the time with my filtered water. Lots of red stuff comes off of them. Is that the bad stuff that is coming off of them? Then i pressure cook them when i make my chili or red beans and rice. Cooking time usually an hour. I also oven bake my brown rice. Here is the way i do it.
[recipes.sparkpeople.com]
Anybody ever heard of using baking soda in the bean soaking process? Here is a GOOGLE search for it. Lots of stuff to go through. [www.google.com]
November 13, 2018 10:09AM
All that soaking and water changing does nothing but remove flavor. There are lots of theories on cooking beans, almost all of which are a waste of time. The instructions I follow are: Rinse, put in a pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cook until done.

That's it. The results are just as good as any other more elaborate method and just as toxin free. As I said before and as the link George posted says, cooking destroys the toxin. There's no need to do anything else.
November 13, 2018 12:02PM
Thanks George... that's an amazing reference guide.

As a result of your consults with Dr. Stephen Gundry, didn't you report at one time that the lectin content of various foods, including beans was the substance to avoid since they act as agglutinins?

I recall looking at some of his references and noted that lectins in dried beans (as one example) can cause clumping or stickiness of red blood cells and various other health issues a result of the agglutininin property... which Dr. Gundry outlines in his book, The Plant Paradox. I don't recall that he says cooking eliminates the problem.

One point I seem to recall Dr. Gundry emphasized is the impact on the microbiome integrity which is found to open the door for autoimmune issues... so is it still true that lectins and phytohaemagglutinins should be avoided?

Thanks,
Jackie
November 13, 2018 01:46PM
i agree with Carey which isn't too oftensmileys with beer

According to that reference guide everything appears to be bad, I don't pay attention to it. I eat corn when it is in season from my garden, have done it for years, corn on the cob and tomatoes, delicious.

Liz
Joe
November 13, 2018 04:24PM
p 206 and 207 Jackie.

five raw black beans or kidney beans will clot your bloodstream within five minutes....
According to the Centers for disease control, 20% of the food poisoning cases in the United States are the result of lectins in undercooked beans....
Despite these serious concerns about legumes, pressure cooking is a great way to destroy the lectins and retain the nutrition in lentils, kidney beans, and the rest of this large and varied plant family
He does recommend against eating Tofu. Aren't the soy beans going through an extensive cooking process to make Tofu?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login