Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sudden onset of high HR without afib

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Sudden onset of high HR without afib
November 11, 2018 02:17PM
Hi friends -
Over the last month or so I’ve been experiencing a sudden high HR (not afib) that happens routinely while waking and during the day for no reason at all. I can get it to come down by taking an extra beta blocker. I generally feel like crap and of course my local cardio says it has to be due to emotional stress. They said that same thing 18 years ago until they caught my afib on an event monitor.
Does anyone else experience this? If yes - what meds do you take to control it.
“Anxiety doesn’t bring it on - the high HR causes the Anxiety “. It sometimes lasts for 2-5 hours at 100 BPM. My normal HR is in the mid 60’s so this is very uncomfortable.
Also - when I wake up in the morning (or middle of the night) I always feel terrible. Headache and nausea. You all are a wealth of information and I could not be in better hands!
Thank you
Ally
Re: Sudden onset of high HR without afib
November 11, 2018 02:57PM
Hi,
Better advice/info will be along from others here, but in the meantime for me this sounds like it could be 3:1 atrial flutter - AFib and aflutter are often two sides of the same coin. Then again it could be something else. Best thing would obviously to get ab ECG whilst it’s happening if you possibly can. Fingers crossed you get a handle on it sooner than later.
Cheers,
Mike
November 11, 2018 04:36PM
What Mike said.
November 11, 2018 04:54PM
I assume you're sure it's not afib because it's a regular rhythm? If so then it could be any one of about six different arrhythmias, with flutter probably being the most likely. Without a recording to look at there's no way to even guess.

You need to wear a monitor and find out what it is. Is your cardiologist an electrophysiologist? If so, I'm surprised he didn't suggest a monitor right away. If he declines to offer you one now, or he's not an EP, you need to find an EP who will treat you rather than dismissing your symptoms as emotional. (He probably wouldn't say that to a man.)

PS- A Kardia would be better than nothing, but it's impossible to distinguish between the regular atrial arrhythmias without a 12-lead ECG, so it wouldn't be all that helpful in your case.
November 11, 2018 05:43PM
Insist on a monitor. My money’s on flutter but you need to be sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login