Advanced

An Interesting Discussion on AF and Dementia

Posted by JoyWin 
An Interesting Discussion on AF and Dementia
November 08, 2018 10:00PM
Re: An Interesting Discussion on AF and Dementia
November 09, 2018 01:45PM
Joy:'

Over the course of the study, an additional 279 people, or 11 percent, developed atrial fibrillation, and 399, or 15 percent, developed dementia ------..

Is there a study of 400 people over 60 that have developed dementia without AF and what is the percentage, if any, that have developed dementia?

My half brother is developing dementia and does not have AF, I know a couple of other people that are developing dementia and do not have AF. I have a ear, nose and throat doctor who has had some episodes of AF, this med. doctor is taking aspirin, I have a Holistic doc. that has had an episode of AF, I don't know if he has had any more, he would not take an anti coagulant.

Shannon did bring up about his sister having a stroke on Coumadin, and the terrible med. care she had in the hospital which led to her physical problems, that should not have happened.

I have the upmost sympathy for Shannon on the loss of his sister, which should not have occurred I too have had sorrow on the death of my stepson due to ignorant med. error. We need to learn as much as we can, just because there is a small study does not validate an opinion. What kind of health do these people have, many things enter into a study.

Liz
Sam
November 10, 2018 05:41AM
My Mother had serious dementia. I recommended she be given (my sister looked after her) 3 spoonfuls of coconut oil per day (fortunately she enjoyed the taste) and 500mcg sublingual B12 twice a day. It cured the dementia quite quickly.
November 10, 2018 11:47AM
I lost three family members to dementia over the last two years. Yes, it was literally the cause of death. I know what it's like to have a conversation with my own mother who had no idea who I was, had no memory of me, my sisters or my father, or even ever having been married and having had children. Her entire life erased. So "dementia" that's easily cured with coconut oil and B12 doesn't sound much like "serious dementia" to me.

There are some pretty significant results in that study that ought to get a lot of attention on a forum full of people with afib.
November 10, 2018 12:49PM
Good for you, Sam .. and of course, your mother's improvement.

GeorgeN is the expert on the value of ketosis or the Ketogenic diet but the successes are numerous ... doing just as you have mentioned. It's not only the MCTs in the coconut oil but also the dietary protocols to eliminate typical dietary components that sabotage the function of ketones. The many webinars on this topic and the improvements and reversals continue to expand on ketosis benefits... esp. if you can catch neurological changes in the early stages.... and definitely as a preventive measure.

Jackie
November 10, 2018 01:57PM
Preventing some types of dementia with dietary measures taken decades in advance is one thing and might be possible, but has never been demonstrated. Curing it is quite another. I'd like to see a single documented case history of a patient diagnosed with any type of dementia being cured by any type of dietary measure or supplement.
November 10, 2018 02:51PM
Sam:

I do believe that B12 is very good for our brains and AF, I have been taking a vit. B complex since my early 20s, I am now 80. I have had AF episodes off and on for 20 years never went into permanent AF. My blood work has always shown that my B12 is over the high end of the lab scale. My AF was started because of taking too much thyroid hormone, made me hyper.
Joe
November 10, 2018 05:16PM
Carey
Preventing some types of dementia with dietary measures taken decades in advance is one thing and might be possible, but has never been demonstrated. Curing it is quite another. I'd like to see a single documented case history of a patient diagnosed with any type of dementia being cured by any type of dietary measure or supplement.

I think it was Dr Bredesen who was involved in a trail of about 100 patients? Can't find the writ up right now but they had remarkable results?
Are they talking bulltish?
[www.drbredesen.com]
November 10, 2018 06:12PM
Sam
My Mother had serious dementia. I recommended she be given (my sister looked after her) 3 spoonfuls of coconut oil per day (fortunately she enjoyed the taste) and 500mcg sublingual B12 twice a day. It cured the dementia quite quickly.

In some people, dementia can be a cellular energy problem. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil (specifically C8 or caprillic acid) will be converted in to beta hydroxybutyrate, a ketone which is actually a preferred brain fuel.

Low B12 can also be an issue.

Dale Bredesen recently published a paper showing improvement in 100 patients using his approach (which is individualized and mulifactorial) <[www.omicsonline.org]

He wrote a book outlining his approach and published it in Aug 2017 <[www.amazon.com] in this interview with Rhonda Patrick,he gives a summary of his approach. It has a transcript, so you can read rather than listen <[www.foundmyfitness.com]

I organized my mother's care during her dementia, so am also very familiar with this.

George
November 10, 2018 09:23PM
Mitochondrial dysfunction seems to be a factor in Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and atrial fibrillation.
Doctor Stephen Sinatra gives some good starting information in his book The Sinatra Solution.
Some other interesting articles are:

Mitochondrial Function.

and

Ways to Improve Mitochondrial Function.

I have also obtained good results with Shilajit. Shilajit is an Ayurvedic herb. The active ingredient in Shiajit is fulvic acid. I have found that 100 mg to 200 mg per day of fulvic acid gives good results. PQQ and Shilajit seem to act in very similar ways.

Reverse Mitochondrial Aging

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 11:49AM by Jim Benton.
November 11, 2018 05:07AM
Jim Benton
Mitochondrial dysfunction seems to be a factor in Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and atrial fibrillation.
Doctor Stephen Sinatra gives some good starting information in his book The Sinatra Solution.
Some other interesting articles are:

Mitochondrial Function.

and

Ways to Improve Mitochondrial Function.

I have also obtained good results with Shilajit. Shilajit is an Ayurvedic herb. The active ingredient in Shiajit is fulvic acid. I have found that 100 mg to 200 mg per day of fulvic acid gives good results. PQQ and Shilajit seen to act in very similar ways.

Reverse Mitochondrial Aging

Interesting stuff!

(How's that mito piece coming along JB?? (-: )
November 11, 2018 05:08AM
GeorgeN

In some people, dementia can be a cellular energy problem. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil (specifically C8 or caprillic acid) will be converted in to beta hydroxybutyrate, a ketone which is actually a preferred brain fuel.

Low B12 can also be an issue.

Dale Bredesen recently published a paper showing improvement in 100 patients using his approach (which is individualized and mulifactorial) <[www.omicsonline.org]

He wrote a book outlining his approach and published it in Aug 2017 <[www.amazon.com] in this interview with Rhonda Patrick,he gives a summary of his approach. It has a transcript, so you can read rather than listen <[www.foundmyfitness.com]

I organized my mother's care during her dementia, so am also very familiar with this.

George

Would cooking with coconut fat be similarly beneficial? Or does the cooking ruin the good stuff in the coconut fat? Or is coconut fat not as good as coconut oil anyway??
November 11, 2018 10:55AM
mwcf

Would cooking with coconut fat be similarly beneficial? Or does the cooking ruin the good stuff in the coconut fat? Or is coconut fat not as good as coconut oil anyway??

Most likely doesn't make any difference in terms of your health. Dr Bredesen stresses adopting specific programs geared to individual differences. He also cautioned against supplements like fish oil out of context with all the nutrients found in the natural food source. Dementia risk related to afib is the result of mini clots to the brain that gets alleviated by AC's, not coconut oil.
November 11, 2018 10:58AM
Hi Mike - I'm on the final lap.... I keep getting side-tracked helping others in need..... and hope to finish soon... trying to condense to a manageable post is the challenge. Thanks for the prompt. winking smiley Jackie
November 11, 2018 09:28PM
mwcf

Most coconut oil I've seen would be considered coconut fat as it is solid at room temperature (I think melting point is around 77F/25C). Coconut fat is very stable, because it is saturated. I don't think the cooking would impact the ability of the liver to make ketones from it. As mentioned, the C8 fraction is the most potent for this purpose.

That being said, there is some thought that for those with the ApoE4 allele, that saturated fat may increase small dense and oxidized LDL, hence be sub optimal with respect to cardiovascular disease. I know that Dr. Steven Gundry told me that he saw this sdLDL & oxLDL elevation in E4's, though this was more pronounced with animal saturated fat than the coconut fat, which tended to be more individual. Dr. Bredesen suggests that for E4's and those worred about cognitive impairment, that staying in a state of mild ketosis (0.5-2.0 mmol/L serum beta hydroxybutyrate) is beneficial. He suggests that consuming coconut fatt/oil/MCT oil may be a way to help easing into ketosis and be OK during the adaptation period. This saturated fat issue is only for ApoE4's not those with other alleles. Though there is a lot of research on ketone benefits, most agree that it is more beneficial to generate your own rather than take them exogenously (whether as a supplement or consuming MCT's). If someone is eating a diet of caloric excess, exogenous ketones will just be more fuel/calories adding to the excess.

Cheers,

George
November 12, 2018 12:10PM
Many thanks for that George.
Cheers,
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login