Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Liquid Magnesium - Carolyn Dean ReMag vs Cardiovascular Research & Trace Minerals

Posted by FrankInFlorida 
Reading the reviews on Dr. Carolyn Dean's books "Atrial Fibrillation: Remineralize Your Heart" and "The Magnesium Miracle" (Amazon etc), I am encourage re: liquid magnesium (I'm already taking two other "pill forms" of magnesium, a mag Malate and a Taurate).

It may be that "any liquid magnesium" is helpful; Dr. Carolyn Dean makes / sells a product that touts its benefits, "ReMag", which has great reviews on Amazon.

Karin in a recent thread here talked about using liquid magnesium from Cardiovascular Research (also sold on Amazon, seems great reviews), then there is the Trace Minerals company with a liquid magnesium (also seems great reviews), and then there is Nature's Answer Liquid Magnesium Malate and Glycinate (Amazon etc) which is kind of a different take from the others, not ionic or touting super tiny particles, also great reviews.

Several of these seem amazingly positive re: getting the result that magnesium is supposed to help with for Afib - anybody tried more than one of these, or have any feedback?
Re: Liquid Magnesium - Carolyn Dean ReMag vs Cardiovascular Research & Trace Minerals
October 30, 2018 09:57PM
I've tried Dr. Dean's product, but I need so much mag (in any form) it wasn't cost effective. It tasted just like mag chloride solution, which I've made myself - having 20kg bags of Nigari (food grade MgCl2 flakes used by the Japanese for coagulating tofu) in my garage. I don't know what make her "ionic" form different that any other MgCL2 dissolved in water. I've also made my own magnesium "oil" (a supersaturated solution of mag chloride and water) for topical use. It works well, too.

Magnesium has been a miracle for me with respect to keeping afib at bay. That being said, I have a very high bowel tolerance and I take a lot of it (3g/day right now). Also, any mag works for me. oxide, ,chloride, glycinate, di-magnesium malate, citrate, magnesium hydroxide, bicarbonate, acetate and whatever I've forgotten to list. I just need to make sure I take. it I can't tell any difference between forms and efficacy for me.
Great feedback (as always) George, I believe it's citrate that is more laxative "purposed" so to speak. Man you are a wealth of knowledge, and I commend you for the level of "fighting for it" which is obvious in so many of your great posts. I'm rising back up for that so to speak after being dulled out as an old fish, on Metoprolol-Flecainide.
Joe
Re: Liquid Magnesium - Carolyn Dean ReMag vs Cardiovascular Research & Trace Minerals
October 30, 2018 11:05PM
Has anybody tried home made H2 water made with a 99%+ purity Mg stick and Malic acid?
I've ordered the Mg. If the H2 in the water does nothing, at least i get Mg malate.
October 31, 2018 12:43AM
Poster hwkmn05 posted the below post in the General Health Forum.

I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised, to hear from another site that certain manufacturers have inaccurate dosages listed. One of note was Remag which listed 150mg of Mag in 1/2 tsp. Testing showed less than 100mg. Ive never purchased that type because the price is ridiculously high, but to slight the contents is even more disturbing.
Colindo, thanks for the info there on inaccurate content amount - I just ordered two types of liquid magnesium (both off ebay), the Trace Minerals brand, and the Cardiovascular Research brand (I often "overlap" on a nutrient, different formulations / mfr's).

re: the person's comment "I've never purchased that type because the price is ridiculously high", the ReMag is definitely high, but I'm very encouraged by Karin's and others having "pretty immediate results" taking the liquid. I've been on capsule and tablet type for 4 months, "no noticeable improvement", so I'm looking forward to seeing how this does... (Karin posted on a recent thread re: "it brought about conversion, when in Afib", Cardiovascular Research brand).
October 31, 2018 08:44AM
FrankInFlorida
I believe it's citrate that is more laxative "purposed" so to speak.

Certainly citrate is sold for that purpose, however it is the quantity that makes mag a laxative. Some or many people report that different forms of mag have different laxative effects for a given quantity of magnesium consumed. I have not been able to detect this difference personally through a huge range of magnesium compounds.
October 31, 2018 09:32AM
FrankInFlorida - I certainly second GeorgeN's comments about various forms of magnesium. We've observed over the years (here in the afibbers forum) that the forms and dosage are highly individualized and what works for many may not work for all. The main point is that most forms of magnesium in high enough dosage will eventually cause bowel tolerance issues (which is obviously counterproductive). For those with poor intestinal absorption, that may be sooner rather than later and especially in the citrate form - commercialized as a known laxative.

The take away is, though, that afibber hearts absolutely must always have optimal magnesium daily support. But that's not the only electrolyte involved. Too much sodium intake will offset potassium's benefits... and when you're low in potassium, that prevents magnesium from working to calm cardiac cells. Too much calcium blocks magnesium's beneficial effects.

My standbys are and have been for many years... magnesium amino acid chelate with the TRAACs designation along with magnesium malate and I also add magnesium threonate at bedtime to help with brain support. Plus I make the homemade version of the magnesium bicarbonate water... aka WW... which has both the magnesium benefits along with the overall alkalizing effect which is important as well.

Jackie
October 31, 2018 10:23AM
Jackie

The take away is, though, that afibber hearts absolutely must always have optimal magnesium daily support. But that's not the only electrolyte involved. Too much sodium intake will offset potassium's benefits... and when you're low in potassium, that prevents magnesium from working to calm cardiac cells. Too much calcium blocks magnesium's beneficial effects.

My standbys are and have been for many years... magnesium amino acid chelate with the TRAACs designation along with magnesium malate and I also add magnesium threonate at bedtime to help with brain support. Plus I make the homemade version of the magnesium bicarbonate water... aka WW... which has both the magnesium benefits along with the overall alkalizing effect which is important as well.

Jackie

Also, too much magnesium causes low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat (along with muscle weakness, respiratory problems, etc, etc).
October 31, 2018 02:11PM

Jackie

Gurus behind the popular “alkaline diet” say that what you eat and drink leaves behind an ash residue (true) that can drastically alter the pH, or acid level, in your body and blood (not quite true), and potentially spiral you into poor health. There are many wild claims and theories, but the message is essentially: eat more alkaline foods. Alkaline foods are basically fruits and vegetables, whereas protein-, sulfur-, and phosphate-containing foods like dairy, meat, and alcohol are more acidic. Let’s be clear: normal blood pH hovers between 7.35-7.45. If your blood pH goes outside this range, your cells would die. Chris Kresser notes:

The body tightly regulates the pH of our blood and extracellular fluid, and we cannot influence our blood pH by changing our diet. (5, 6) High doses of sodium bicarbonate can temporarily increase blood pH, but not without causing uncomfortable GI symptoms. (7, 8) And there are certainly circumstances in which the blood is more acidic than it should be, and this does have serious health consequences. However, this state of acidosis is caused by pathological conditions such as chronic renal insufficiency, not by whether you choose to eat a salad or a burger.

In other words, your kidneys help regulate your blood pH by filtering and buffering your blood and excreting excess acid through your urine. If you ate bacon and eggs, you would pee out more acid than someone who had an apple. Alkaline dieters point to the pH of their urine as proof of their claims, but urine is a really bad, unreliable indicator of overall pH in the body and your health. It is a sign your kidneys are working properly, since its job is to throw out the stuff your body doesn’t need.

[chriskresser.com]

The Acid-Alkaline Myth: Part 1 | Chris Kresser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 03:02PM by Elizabeth.
October 31, 2018 03:46PM
Thanks, Liz - I've read that opinion as well... but suggest you read the science in the book we've quoted for years... by Jerry Tennant, MD... "Healing is Voltage" which explains how this really works... and then also the review science by
Russell Beckett, the Australian biochemist and pathologist, who tested and then patented the Unique Water which was shown to increase longevity in the farm animals drinking from streams both alkaline and non-alkaline streams which was the model upon which we based the benefits of the WW and which also includes the science from Paul Mason and his California Adobe Springs. Both websites are worth reviewing again to understand the alkalinity benefits. This was going on before we started investigating in 2002.

Jackie
October 31, 2018 07:59PM
"The alkaline diet claims to help your body maintain its blood pH level. In fact, nothing you eat is going to substantially change the pH of your blood. Your body works to keep that level constant."

"The emphasis on fruits and vegetables that is at the core of alkaline diets offers the promise of healthy weight loss. No special gear or supplements are required.

You’ll have the best success with it if you like to choose and experiment with new foods and love to cook."
[www.webmd.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 08:02PM by jpeters.
November 01, 2018 08:38AM
jpeters

Also, too much magnesium causes low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat (along with muscle weakness, respiratory problems, etc, etc).

I was concerned about this when I first started taking significant magnesium. What I learned is it can be an issue if one has kidney issues such that the kidneys don't excrete any excess.

Dr Herbert. Mansmann was a pediatrician that spent the last 20 or 30 years of his career/life researching magnesium. He also was a morbidly obese T2 diabetic with diabetic neuropathy in his feet. He was able to put his neuropathy in remission taking 20g magnesium/day for a year. He maintained this remission subsequently with 5 g mag/day. It was Dr. Mansmann's experience and his work that gave me comfort that what I was doing was OK. Here is a post I wrote about Dr. Mansmann in 2010 <[www.afibbers.org].

In this thread, also from 2010, the Exatest is discussed <[www.afibbers.org]

Interestingly, Dr. Mansmann used mag oxide a lot. Here is a quote about his neuropathy, " have had diabetic neuropathy (DN) for over 10 years. The most significant symptom is my neuropathic pain of burning feet, called erythromelalgia (EM). With the aid of Mg I can completely suppress the symptom, but if my blood glucose level is acutely elevated, because of a dietary indiscretion, the pain flares in spite of an apparent adequate dose of Mg. It goes away with extra Mg gluconate (Magonate) in an hour or so in either case. Without the Mg it will last for six plus hours, even though the blood glucose level is normal in about two hours." <[web.archive.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 09:01AM by GeorgeN.
November 01, 2018 08:46AM
The alkalinity benefits that I've written about and quoted from the experts do not involve blood pH.

However, Blood pH must be held at a close tolerance and has to be slightly alkaline for optimal health.

The benefits of alkalinity come from tissue pH... as a result of eating foods that metabolize to acidic or alkaline ash.
The books by Theodore A. Baroody , PhD nutrition, ND, DC, CNC were initially published around 1990 when I first was introduced to this concept by my primary care MD at the time who was nutritionally oriented.

Dr. Baroody's books, Alkalize or Die and Asparagus Can Do It are easy to understand. I have a laminated chart based on his food theory of eating 80% alkaline 20% acidic foods that lists the ranking of foods according to their metabolic conversion to alkaline or acidic ash.

There is also a book by Robert O Young, PhD (The pH Miracle- Reclaim Your Health) that is more technical and also because he touts positive results including curing cancer, he's been the object of extreme criticism... as one would expect.... However, I've written about a local woman who cured her breast cancer following his protocols..documented before and after with scans.

The focus of alkalinity is to reduce the acid ash residues that accumulate and then cause damage in the body... ie inflammation is a huge factor in an acidic body and one to which afibbers can relate... plus many other factors that contribute to poor health.

As it would relate to Afib, those who are highly acidic as a result of eating mainly acid-ash forming foods would be more prone to the detrimental effects on tissue that is acidic and inflamed. You can connect the dots. There are many more examples of symptoms related to acidic tissue in the charts in the various books.

Jackie
November 01, 2018 10:58AM
I first ran across the dangers of high levels of alkali in blood and body tissues when studying bulimics who purge. Imbalances often lead to weakness, fatigue and may lead to arrhythmia and even sudden death.

I've taken magnesium supplements for about a year, and honestly never noticed any effect. Many on this board testify to noticing a calming effect almost immediately. Perhaps because I'm on a mainly vegetarian diet and not stressed, it doesn't do much for me. People who have chronic conditions try many things that appear to work for a while, and then don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 10:59AM by jpeters.
November 13, 2018 10:48PM
Cardiovascular Research liquid magnesium is $17.00 for eight ounces on Amazon so since you only use 1 teaspoon in 8 ounces of liquid it is a good deal! Truly you should try it in orange juice rather than water. I am so impressed by the sophistication of so many of you on this forum and appreciate all the thoughtful responses. Truly, it has pulled myself and my husband (both with intermittent fib) into sinus for years. Might take two doses 4 hours apart and with a bit of cardizem to lower our heart rates too. We take this on top of 4 magnesium doses a day and usually it does not bother us because we have probably been dehydrated or burned through the tablets!

Would love to know if this helps anyone else!

Karin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login